Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dropped my G off to get the brakes checked (feels like a caliper is hanging), asked nicely and came back with a Q50 loaner :) This car is/will be on the short list for replacing my wifes car, a year or two from now (I figure by then Infiniti will have most of the bugs out of it)

Its a pretty basic AWD model with 3500 miles on it. (Ill see if I can find the window sticker to see what options/packages it has)

Drove it the 30 minutes from dealer to work, impressions so far:

The interior is definitely nicer than my G, but after all the raves about it Im still a little underwhelmed. Yes, they added "soft touch materials" but it feels like all they did was wrap hard plastic/cardboard with vinyl/pleather. Still not up to par with my old i30 (where everything in vinyl had 1/2" of padding under it too). The seats actually seem lower quality to me than my G, but it could be because of the model I have (do the Q50S models get better seats?)

The car shifts 1000% better than my G. Im not sure if they made hardware changes to the tranny, but the lag and torque converter "confusion" seems to be down to a minimum. Im hoping s/w changes could be ported to the G at some point. I think this is a lot of the reason why the Q "feels" faster.....I think the transmission has been the source of a lot of drivetrain loss/lag in the G, and removing that lag makes the car respond like it should. On the flip side, both cars are still better than our Acura with the transmission made of glass.

Straight line acceleration seems to be less impeded by traction control/VDC. Even with it switched off it seemed like nothing could break the wheels loose and the car just took off

The car sounds *noisier* than my G inside while driving. BUT this one does have the dreaded RFTs. Ill attribute most of the noise to that, even though I cant prove it (if it turns out Ill buy one, Ill be sure to drive one without them)

The trunk space. This car has the "jackpot" of RFTs *and* spare tire package. While I think its a neat "beature" (blunder that turned into a feature) that the trunk floor is now just about level with the trunk opening, real world usage it would drive me nuts losing all that space. And if I ditched the RFTs I would still want the spare there, so thats not a solution IMHO (I suppose AAA membership could fix that, but still)

inTouch is crazy slow. I can deal with the slow startup since it only happens once, but just the slow response to touches while its running drives me mad.

Im going to drive it around some more during lunch, will update this thread as I do so.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm disappointed with the Q50 premium loaner I drove.
You need to test drive at least the Q50S with 19" wheel and sport seat.
Yeah, Im trying to look at it overall rather than things unique/missing to the premium vs sport.

The biggest thing I was looking forward to was the interior (minus the seats because I know they might be different in the S).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The sport seats in the S model might be even better than BMW's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm surprised that you think the Q is louder inside than the G? My Q is 1000% quieter inside than my G37 ever was. My G produced a ton of road noise and creaks that my Q does not and my G had 18 inch wheels versus the 19 inch run flats on the Q. The interior of the Q is also way nicer than my loaded G?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm surprised that you think the Q is louder inside than the G? My Q is 1000% quieter inside than my G37 ever was. My G produced a ton of road noise and creaks that my Q does not and my G had 18 inch wheels versus the 19 inch run flats on the Q. The interior of the Q is also way nicer than my loaded G?
I attribute the noise to the run flats, personally. It sounds mostly like noise outside getting in, almost like a window is open. My G only has 10K miles on it, so maybe I havent gotten to the creaks and rattle stage yet.

As far as the interior, yes, its nicer but I think they kinda "faked" it a little. As I said, the armrests and door panels feel like they just wrapped the plastic with vinyl instead of padding under the vinyl. Yes there is "soft touch" stuff in the Q where there isnt in my G, but I would have preferred them go to whole way and pad it all too for even more luxury feel. The dashboard feels the same as my G, its not "soft" but its at least padded.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sport seats in the S model might be even better than BMW's.
Ill have to check out an S then. I figured the seats were different, and I love the seats in my G37 (also an S).

Oddly enough, the most comfortable seats Ive ever sat in were in my Neon RT with the ACR package. They were cloth but they hugged you like a glove without being cramped or uncomfortable.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I attribute the noise to the run flats, personally. It sounds mostly like noise outside getting in, almost like a window is open. My G only has 10K miles on it, so maybe I havent gotten to the creaks and rattle stage yet.

As far as the interior, yes, its nicer but I think they kinda "faked" it a little. As I said, the armrests and door panels feel like they just wrapped the plastic with vinyl instead of padding under the vinyl. Yes there is "soft touch" stuff in the Q where there isnt in my G, but I would have preferred them go to whole way and pad it all too for even more luxury feel. The dashboard feels the same as my G, its not "soft" but its at least padded.
The "fake" feeling is because your loaner doesn't have the leather package. I am not sure how the Q is louder than your G, because multiple tests show that the Q is quite a bit quieter. It may also be because you are listening for the noise now, where as in the G you were just driving, maybe with the music on? If I were you, I would drive a Q with the leather, as well as with navigation and any other packages that you may like. The sport models will be a little louder than the non sport because of the tires. The sport seat however, is quite a bit more comfortable. The InTouch may not be updated as well. It will lag a little bit, but it shouldn't be crazy slow. Keep driving it around and ask a sales guy if you can take a higher packaged one out when you return it, it will fell quite a bit different.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, by no means am I making a final decision based on this one. Right now Im just looking at overall stuff, not trying to nit pick TOO much because the reality is I wouldnt buy a "base" car like this.

Ive never really had a chance to take an extended test drive with any new car Ive purchased, so Im just thrilled to have one for longer than 15 or 20 minutes. Its also a good chance to look at just what options I really want/miss in the car (forgot to mention lack of sonar, thats huge around here lately since parking spots are so cramped with left over snow)

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
When I had the DAS and In Touch updates done on Wednesday, they also gave me a Q50 Premium, gasser, non-AWD loaner(though it did have the leather package). My immediate impression upon getting in was that it DID look plainer then mine, and I think it is because of the aluminum trim. It just didn't have the "feel" of being upscale. The In Touch looked odd to me, having a different set of apps in the screen. As far as driving it is concerned, I noticed several big differences from my Hybrid, AWD. I was constantly making slight adjustments to the steering wheel, something I had forgotten about with the DAS. Also, with the DAS, the steering wheel has only two rotations, lock-to-lock; this car had three, which is an indication for the slower response of the non-DAS(for the life of me, I just can't understand some of the reviewers NOT liking the faster steering response of the DAS). And I know that I'm in the minority here, but I felt the braking was not as good as that with my hybrid. The brakes felt "grabby" to me, though they are very good brakes, over all.

As far as the slowness of the In Touch is concerned, its speed hasn't bothered me(I'm referring to my car). It seems to react to whatever I touch, and instantly. Granted, I don't play with it very much, but when I do go into the system, I have no problem with it.

Added on: I agree with those who say that the clock in the upper screen looks tacky. Infiniti should have something else there!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went for another drive, this time a better mix of highway and city.

The tranny still seems to want to shift into too high a gear too soon in city driving. It does seem to downshift/unlock the tc faster, so its at least a little better about accelerating out of that too high a gear.

The car is definitely quieter inside. I took a passenger with me, and while I thought the road noise was loud when I was by myself, the level we were able to have a conversation at (even at highway speeds) was noticeably lower than a lot of cars Ive been in, including my G.

My passenger owns a '13 Maxima, and his first comment was "interior not even as nice as mine". I agreed. And yes, "leatherette" seats, per the window sticker. So Ill ignore that for now since any one I would buy wouldnt have them.

Probably wont drive it anymore before having to return it. Overall its not a bad car. Im still a little let down by the interior (at least by the portions I know wont be different from non-S to S). I was hoping for more back seat leg room and there might be a SLIGHT improvement, but not a whole lot. The back seats seem a lot "deeper" than my G, I kinda wish they sacrificed that extra depth in exchange for more rear leg room.

Found a few things I didnt like about the voice commands (why does it un-pause my music after I complete a command, if I paused the music myself before the command) but overall they are a large improvement over my G. inTouch seems cool, albeit slow (Ill try to find the version # before I give the car back). Bluetooth seems a lot less hokey in the Q than my G, was easier and more intuitive to setup and the controls seem to work better and more reliably.

Final decision is that I wont knock this off our short list. Need to drive the exact car I would buy, possibly with DAS (Im dying to try it out, even if its not "finished" yet)

-Chris

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Drove my G home with no audio to try and hear the difference. And there definitely is one, but its not hugely pronounced to me (keep in mind my G only has 10K miles on it)

The G definitely feels more raw while driving, braking and accelerating. My car isnt completely stock ;) so it could be from the sways and intake. But overall I think I agree with what most people have said: the Q is more refined, maybe a tad less sporty, but its not a bad thing. I think its still plenty sporty, its just a little less raw while being so.

inTouch version was 2.3.7.0646

I definitely want to test drive a sport model, or at least a model with the real leather interior.

Im also curious if they changed the hardware in the transmission, or just the software. I still maintain if my G shifted that well, there would be no speed difference (perceived or actual) between the G and the Q.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
How bad was the handling in the non sport Q compared to your G?

And I concur with the other comments about the sports seats.
It was probably the biggest contributer that pushed me into a sport on a Hybrid.
The seats are much better.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How bad was the handling in the non sport Q compared to your G?

And I concur with the other comments about the sports seats.
It was probably the biggest contributer that pushed me into a sport on a Hybrid.
The seats are much better.
Honestly I didnt think it was that big a difference, but its definitely softer. The Hotchkis sways on the G made it a bit firmer than stock, but even without them the non-S Q was softer than the G when it was stock.

Keep in mind, an xS G doesnt get quite the nice sport suspension that a RWD S would. So there would probably be a bigger difference between that and the Q.

I didnt have time to run into the showroom and sit in a Q50S. How are the sport seats in a Q50 compared to the sport seats in a G?

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Agreed about the noise my G had wayyyy more noise - wind and engine. The g is a lot of fun to throw around though.

If you think the Q interior feels like that, take a ride in the Lexus RX350. They out cardboard covered with some crappy not so leather feeling leather soft touch material on the doors right above the arm rest. It's pretty bad and cheapens the feel. The previous model had a bunched leather there - much nicer. Bean counters had a say in that one no doubt.

I would definitely drive a new car and the model you want before making a decision. I find my sport with real leather a definite step up from my previous G which was fully loaded. Not even close.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Dude, the Q50 has the new 7 speed tranny. That's why it's smoother. And yes, MY Q50 Premium with sports 19's is louder than my 2006 G coupe 6mt.

Could be the run flats, but theres also horrible wind noise when I tilt the sunroof up and all windows closed.

There are no rattles or creaks on my Q50.. Just road noise and wind noise.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
The interior is definitely nicer than my G, but after all the raves about it Im still a little underwhelmed. Yes, they added "soft touch materials" but it feels like all they did was wrap hard plastic/cardboard with vinyl/pleather. Still not up to par with my old i30 (where everything in vinyl had 1/2" of padding under it too).

My passenger owns a '13 Maxima, and his first comment was "interior not even as nice as mine". I agreed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your point? I never said the interior wasn't nicer overall. I said the feel of the materials wasnt as nice as I has hoped it would be.

As far as the transmission... I'm almost positive it's not a"new" 7at. I think several reviews and articles stated the whole drivetrain is just a carry over from the G with some slight tweaks. The question I have is if they are hardware, software or both

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought an AWD Q50s with Touring and Tech and the interior was much nicer than the G37s the dealer had on the lot in look, fit, finish, and feel. There was no comparison. The G37 interiors I saw were similar to the interiors found in the new Infinti SUVs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.