Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to gauge how many people have required a DCU replacement since it seems a lot of dealership visits are for the DCU. I have an infrequently driven 2015 Q50 Hybrid I purchased used about a year ago, and both the screens were behaving erratically and restarting intermittently this year. After 1-2 days, both the touch screens became unusable, with it stuck in a reboot loop. As any owner with a Q50 knows, the DCU is the heart of the car's technology and a broken one renders more than half the car non-functional, but this is my first Infiniti and simply love the torque curve so I thought not much of it.

I brought it into a dealership shortly after and the tech glanced at it for 5-10 seconds then gave me the root cause right away as if he's seen this many times. Informed me a new one had to be ordered and would probably come in a few days (a rental was denied as it was still functional), so I went along with it and waited.. for about two weeks. Phone calls and voicemails were frequently missed and no updates besides "we do not have any new information on our end" was given until the day before the part arrived. This occurred both at the local dealership and Infiniti Corporate with Consumer Affairs. Overall, I was stuck with a broken DCU for nearly three weeks and led around in circles leading me to believe this is the corporate culture from their Yelp...

Suddenly, I remembered the Q50 being knocked down reliability points for the infotainment/inTouch system and recollected a buddy who had their Q50 DCU locked out because it ran out of gas. At the dealership, I looked at the Q50 waiting in service behind me out of curiosity, lo and behold, both screens were black. Searching this forum yields multiple posts about DCU replacements with some reporting 3-4 replacements. I ended up not paying anything for it as I am under warranty, but knowing it costs $2.5-3k out of pocket afterwards is concerning given the rate of reports and overall cold shoulder about it.

I bought this car to keep long term given the reputation of the VQ engine's reliability with the powertrain's torque and it is addicting and simply unreal at this price. However, seeing how many times someone has had to replace their DCU here and Infiniti corporate themselves not being able to reassure me this won't happen again when I brought up these concerns is making me rethink this choice... Overall, it seems to be a great reliable car mechanically, but so much technology is packed into it that one single point of failure can be costly and I am aware a large amount of modern cars are like this.

Which brings me here to ask everyone here now, how has your experience been with the DCU and Infiniti services for electronic issues? Has anyone ever had to fix this issue out of warranty?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
The DCU issue was more for 2014 models, later 2015 and beyond typically don't have this issue. That said if you do run into this issue out of warranty it is much cheaper to simply don't the stock unit and upgrade to
an aftermarket one. It would have android auto and Apple car play, google maps etc.etc.

Think I recall seeing them priced around $700.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The DCU issue was more for 2014 models, later 2015 and beyond typically don't have this issue. That said if you do run into this issue out of warranty it is much cheaper to simply don't the stock unit and upgrade to
an aftermarket one. It would have android auto and Apple car play, google maps etc.etc.

Think I recall seeing them priced around $700.
I have seen this get mentioned before, but trust me this won't work after I spent some time researching them. The aftermarket systems still rely on the DCU and piggyback off it for important things such as climate control, phone calls and bluetooth most of the time. They are just acting as a fancy interface really, and if the DCU is not functioning, then they're just a semi-functional android tablet stuck on your dashboard.

I wish it can be as simple as putting a new one in, but they require a dealers key to sign off on the installation so buying a used one off Ebay won't work either... Leaving you to shell out the $2500.

Edit: To clarify, it seems the 2014-2015 models have the most issue, but the replacements are ordered by year and car model, so a new DCU replacement won't be giving you the latest version besides maybe a small firmware update. Newer cars still are having DCU issues, although at a smaller rate. (Which tells me it is not likely they fixed the older year replacements)

Recent examples: https://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/problems-solutions/99674-nav-reverse-camera-dcu-issue-5.html
https://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/problems-solutions/114153-problem-lower-display-2018-rs.html

I have seen reports of cars as new as 2018 reporting this issue. Overall seems it was badly designed from the start and Infiniti's big change in 2015 was just beefing up the hardware but never addressed the issue. Searching through these forums was proof enough for me anyways.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Huh I figured the DCU was integrated into the screens, in which case no a new screen won't fix the issue.

With that said swapping out the DCU for an Ebay unit should work. The activation of a screen will only need to take place at the Dealership via a Consult Tool,
Based on the Service Manual they can enter in the cars specifications (Likely based on VIN or pulled from the ECU) and then activate the device.

As for this being a prevalent issue for the car you need to remember the Q50 forums is the most common place for people come to share their thoughts
and issues. It's easy to think some of these issues are more common than they are in reality, remember you are specifically looking for these issues.

Not saying it doesn't happen but you could easily be making a mountain out of a mole-hill. With that said I don't think you'll ever have anyone
argue with you that the Infotainment system in the Q50 is terrible.. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
The DCU failed at the 800 mile mark on my 2017 Q60 RS400 delivered in December of 2016. It took a few days for the dealer to solve the problem and fortunately it has been OK since. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With that said swapping out the DCU for an Ebay unit should work. The activation of a screen will only need to take place at the Dealership via a Consult Tool,
Based on the Service Manual they can enter in the cars specifications (Likely based on VIN or pulled from the ECU) and then activate the device.
I know which manual you are referring to. It requires an expensive device with a license fee that's around $1k+ and the new DCU installed to sign the changes. I don't think the dealership will just activate it for free for you from my experience so far.. This is becoming a common thing though and is a reason old school mechanics aren't in business as much lately besides the small stuff.
As for this being a prevalent issue for the car you need to remember the Q50 forums is the most common place for people come to share their thoughts
and issues. It's easy to think some of these issues are more common than they are in reality, remember you are specifically looking for these issues.

Not saying it doesn't happen but you could easily be making a mountain out of a mole-hill. With that said I don't think you'll ever have anyone
argue with you that the Infotainment system in the Q50 is terrible.. lol
Very true that a lot of people go here and I will take that into consideration. I have personally seen Q50's with broken DCU's in person 3 times already, so my main frustration is mostly Infiniti Consumer Affairs not being responsive or acknowledging the issue and seeing it was not just one person. First time at an Infiniti dealership to be honest, so was not a good first impression.

Admittedly I like inTouch a little and does not bug me much, but the electrical reliability and dealership costs definitely scares me keeping this long term though. I don't care if Apple Carplay or Android Auto is supported when it can break down for a hefty fee some day.

The DCU failed at the 800 mile mark on my 2017 Q60 RS400 delivered in December of 2016. It took a few days for the dealer to solve the problem and fortunately it has been OK since. Fingers crossed!
Glad to hear that. After looking into this more, the 2014-2015 share the same code repository, and each year after 2015 is different. The newer years definitely seem to have a lower rate of failure and maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I know which manual you are referring to. It requires an expensive device with a license fee that's around $1k+ and the new DCU installed to sign the changes. I don't think the dealership will just activate it for free for you from my experience so far.. This is becoming a common thing though and is a reason old school mechanics aren't in business as much lately besides the small stuff.

Very true that a lot of people go here and I will take that into consideration. I have personally seen Q50's with broken DCU's in person 3 times already, so my main frustration is mostly Infiniti Consumer Affairs not being responsive or acknowledging the issue and seeing it was not just one person. First time at an Infiniti dealership to be honest, so was not a good first impression.

Admittedly I like inTouch a little and does not bug me much, but the electrical reliability and dealership costs definitely scares me keeping this long term though. I don't care if Apple Carplay or Android Auto is supported when it can break down for a hefty fee some day.

Glad to hear that. After looking into this more, the 2014-2015 share the same code repository, and each year after 2015 is different. The newer years definitely seem to have a lower rate of failure and maybe that has something to do with it.
Oh no they won't activate it for free , it's something I'd for sure take to the dealer directly there are too many versions and models of scan tool out there that may not
have the required functionality. On a positive note checking out the part numbers on https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com it looks
like Infiniti has released a refreshed version of the DCU for 2015 models and discontinued the older version.

So I suspect it has some revised parts and newer firmware installed with the unit, but your concern is definitely warranted 2-3K is some serious cash to throw down
for what is now a very integrated system in cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did see someone mentioning they get shipped from Japan to get the screen calibrated, which can explain why most people report waiting three weeks here.

Highly suspect DCU design issues stem from Infiniti out sourcing individual systems to multiple vendors and unable to integrate them all together, given how little has changed in 4-5 years with the lower panel currently running Android 2.3 :). Great in concept, but their focus looks to be cramming as much tech in along with powertrain improvements.

A refresh with an entirely new product seems more likely and profitable than fixing all current issues and complaints. How they will be handling older DCU failures with warranties ending soon is a big question though, especially if they might be discontinued...

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I did see someone mentioning they get shipped from Japan to get the screen calibrated, which can explain why most people report waiting three weeks here.

Highly suspect DCU design issues stem from Infiniti out sourcing individual systems to multiple vendors and unable to integrate them all together, given how little has changed in 4-5 years with the lower panel currently running Android 2.3 :). Great in concept, but their focus looks to be cramming as much tech in along with powertrain improvements.

A refresh with an entirely new product seems more likely and profitable than fixing all current issues and complaints. How they will be handling older DCU failures with warranties ending soon is a big question though, especially if they might be discontinued...
Manufactures are legally obligated to maintain an inventory of parts for the reasonable life of a car not just warranty,
in which case they should be producing these parts and or maintaining an inventory for 10-12 years after production.

After which OEM equivalent manufactures usually come in to fill the void when the original manufacture stops producing parts.

Sooo not much to worry about on that front, honestly none of these cars companies really under-stand how to design a Nav/Infotainment
system and they really should just eat the cost and have a dedicated manufacture handle it for them.

Reactions: Datsoon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Manufactures are legally obligated to maintain an inventory of parts for the reasonable life of a car not just warranty,
in which case they should be producing these parts and or maintaining an inventory for 10-12 years after production.

After which OEM equivalent manufactures usually come in to fill the void when the original manufacture stops producing parts.
That's interesting to know because I did run into this issue today looking for the Q50 Hybrid 12v battery, which was discontinued just last year. The part isn't listed on Infiniti's main website and discontinued everywhere else except one website that I could find. I did see you comment on some of those threads, so you already know more than me on this. Hopefully another company does produce the replacement once I need it.. at a much lower cost :D

https://www.infinitipartsonline.com/oem-parts/infiniti-battery-244101mg0a
https://www.discountinfinitiparts.com/oem-parts/infiniti-battery-244101mg0a?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9YmF0dGVyeSZsPTI1Jm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9aW5maW5pdGkmbz1xNTAmeT0yMDE0JnQ9aHlicmlkLXNwb3J0JmU9My01bC12Ni1lbGVjdHJpYy1nYXM=

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
That's interesting to know because I did run into this issue today looking for the Q50 Hybrid 12v battery, which was discontinued just last year. The part isn't listed on Infiniti's main website and discontinued everywhere else except one website that I could find. I did see you comment on some of those threads, so you already know more than me on this. Hopefully another company does produce the replacement once I need it.. at a much lower cost :D

https://www.infinitipartsonline.com/oem-parts/infiniti-battery-244101mg0a
https://www.discountinfinitiparts.com/oem-parts/infiniti-battery-244101mg0a?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9YmF0dGVyeSZsPTI1Jm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9aW5maW5pdGkmbz1xNTAmeT0yMDE0JnQ9aHlicmlkLXNwb3J0JmU9My01bC12Ni1lbGVjdHJpYy1nYXM=
Interesting it appears Infiniti discontinued that entire-line of Battery across all models by the looks of things, they will probably have a new replacement listed soon.
As even the Hybrid 2014 models are still under warranty for a couple more years. I have no issues finding parts for my 2009 G37 still from those sources you linked.

With that said I don't think the Hybrid's 12V battery is actually unique in any way, just your typical glass-mat battery that is 12V.
Wouldn't be surprised if you could pick one up off the shelf and be just fine.
@Avedis53 - Do you recall seeing anything about a difference in battery's for the 12V in the SM? I took a quick skim but didn't see any specific
sections relating to it.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,994 Posts
Interesting it appears Infiniti discontinued that entire-line of Battery across all models by the looks of things, they will probably have a new replacement listed soon.
As even the Hybrid 2014 models are still under warranty for a couple more years. I have no issues finding parts for my 2009 G37 still from those sources you linked.

With that said I don't think the Hybrid's 12V battery is actually unique in any way, just your typical glass-mat battery that is 12V.
Wouldn't be surprised if you could pick one up off the shelf and be just fine.
@Avedis53 - Do you recall seeing anything about a difference in battery's for the 12V in the SM? I took a quick skim but didn't see any specific
sections relating to it.
I don't have a SM for the hybrid. The regular SM doesn't address the hybrid systems. Can't you just cross-reference the hybrid battery for it's AGM equivalent?

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Happy to hear parts were not discontinued due to the Hybrid then. Some of the parts are much harder to find than the gas models.

I don't have a SM for the hybrid. The regular SM doesn't address the hybrid systems. Can't you just cross-reference the hybrid battery for it's AGM equivalent?
All the OEM Hybrid batteries get sourced from Japan and sounds like most battery shops do not carry the equivalent. Read somewhere here they went to a small battery shop and it was throwing error messages on the dash and acting weird. Not too familiar with AGM batteries, but definitely don't want to guinea pig and potentially void warranty or damage the hybrid system..

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Hmm dang best bet would be to check with the dealer then, they should know an equivalent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to gauge how many people have required a DCU replacement since it seems a lot of dealership visits are for the DCU. I have an infrequently driven 2015 Q50 Hybrid I purchased used about a year ago, and both the screens were behaving erratically and restarting intermittently this year. After 1-2 days, both the touch screens became unusable, with it stuck in a reboot loop. As any owner with a Q50 knows, the DCU is the heart of the car's technology and a broken one renders more than half the car non-functional, but this is my first Infiniti and simply love the torque curve so I thought not much of it.

I brought it into a dealership shortly after and the tech glanced at it for 5-10 seconds then gave me the root cause right away as if he's seen this many times. Informed me a new one had to be ordered and would probably come in a few days (a rental was denied as it was still functional), so I went along with it and waited.. for about two weeks. Phone calls and voicemails were frequently missed and no updates besides "we do not have any new information on our end" was given until the day before the part arrived. This occurred both at the local dealership and Infiniti Corporate with Consumer Affairs. Overall, I was stuck with a broken DCU for nearly three weeks and led around in circles leading me to believe this is the corporate culture from their Yelp...

Suddenly, I remembered the Q50 being knocked down reliability points for the infotainment/inTouch system and recollected a buddy who had their Q50 DCU locked out because it ran out of gas. At the dealership, I looked at the Q50 waiting in service behind me out of curiosity, lo and behold, both screens were black. Searching this forum yields multiple posts about DCU replacements with some reporting 3-4 replacements. I ended up not paying anything for it as I am under warranty, but knowing it costs $2.5-3k out of pocket afterwards is concerning given the rate of reports and overall cold shoulder about it.

I bought this car to keep long term given the reputation of the VQ engine's reliability with the powertrain's torque and it is addicting and simply unreal at this price. However, seeing how many times someone has had to replace their DCU here and Infiniti corporate themselves not being able to reassure me this won't happen again when I brought up these concerns is making me rethink this choice... Overall, it seems to be a great reliable car mechanically, but so much technology is packed into it that one single point of failure can be costly and I am aware a large amount of modern cars are like this.

Which brings me here to ask everyone here now, how has your experience been with the DCU and Infiniti services for electronic issues? Has anyone ever had to fix this issue out of warranty?
Looks like I just experienced second DCU failure in a 2015 Q50S. First failure at 34K miles covered under warranty. Both screens blank and no radio or HVAC control. Taking to dealer tomorrow at 49K miles. Replacement DCU functioned less than two years and just 15K miles. Will update after dealer visit. Serious reliability concern if second failure within 50K miles.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,994 Posts
What is your question?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Looks like I just experienced second DCU failure in a 2015 Q50S. First failure at 34K miles covered under warranty. Both screens blank and no radio or HVAC control. Taking to dealer tomorrow at 49K miles. Replacement DCU functioned less than two years and just 15K miles. Will update after dealer visit. Serious reliability concern if second failure within 50K miles.

2 fails isn't an indication of reliability (at least for the brand as a whole) it could just be bad luck on your part or even an underlying issue
like a wire causing the displays to short or even abuse of some kind.

Need to remember Infiniti doesn't want these displays to fail under warranty, that's money out of their pocket to replace and install them.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure your definition of reliable although two DCU failures within 50K miles certainly is not consistent with automaker’s nor vehicle owner’s expectation based on experience in the auto industry. As you note, warranty expense and customer satisfaction are key auto manufacturer metrics. Recurring and costly DCU replacement will negatively impact warranty expense, JD Powers reliability rating and customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
As it has been pointed out here there may be and likely is some underlying issue causing these failures.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've had my DCU replacement a couple months ago. It was replaced at around the 40K kms mark, MY2017. Both screens were going black and resetting sporadically during winter especially. Whats funny is, day of replacement, on the drive home with the brand new DCU, it still reset and was still resetting the entire week with new DCU.

But after that, its been working fine, no resets yet knock on wood

1 - 20 of 25 Posts