Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to gauge how many people have required a DCU replacement since it seems a lot of dealership visits are for the DCU. I have an infrequently driven 2015 Q50 Hybrid I purchased used about a year ago, and both the screens were behaving erratically and restarting intermittently this year. After 1-2 days, both the touch screens became unusable, with it stuck in a reboot loop. As any owner with a Q50 knows, the DCU is the heart of the car's technology and a broken one renders more than half the car non-functional, but this is my first Infiniti and simply love the torque curve so I thought not much of it.

I brought it into a dealership shortly after and the tech glanced at it for 5-10 seconds then gave me the root cause right away as if he's seen this many times. Informed me a new one had to be ordered and would probably come in a few days (a rental was denied as it was still functional), so I went along with it and waited.. for about two weeks. Phone calls and voicemails were frequently missed and no updates besides "we do not have any new information on our end" was given until the day before the part arrived. This occurred both at the local dealership and Infiniti Corporate with Consumer Affairs. Overall, I was stuck with a broken DCU for nearly three weeks and led around in circles leading me to believe this is the corporate culture from their Yelp...

Suddenly, I remembered the Q50 being knocked down reliability points for the infotainment/inTouch system and recollected a buddy who had their Q50 DCU locked out because it ran out of gas. At the dealership, I looked at the Q50 waiting in service behind me out of curiosity, lo and behold, both screens were black. Searching this forum yields multiple posts about DCU replacements with some reporting 3-4 replacements. I ended up not paying anything for it as I am under warranty, but knowing it costs $2.5-3k out of pocket afterwards is concerning given the rate of reports and overall cold shoulder about it.

I bought this car to keep long term given the reputation of the VQ engine's reliability with the powertrain's torque and it is addicting and simply unreal at this price. However, seeing how many times someone has had to replace their DCU here and Infiniti corporate themselves not being able to reassure me this won't happen again when I brought up these concerns is making me rethink this choice... Overall, it seems to be a great reliable car mechanically, but so much technology is packed into it that one single point of failure can be costly and I am aware a large amount of modern cars are like this.

Which brings me here to ask everyone here now, how has your experience been with the DCU and Infiniti services for electronic issues? Has anyone ever had to fix this issue out of warranty?
We purchased a Q50 a couple years ago mildly used just out of warranty now with 40,000 miles on it and both screens went out. Like you said very frustrating considering it's the heart all the entertainment and controls on the vehicle. Amazingly my wife loves the vehicle and said she doesn't mind driving it with black screens, however it drives me nuts. We took it to infinity today and they said there was no way to cover it under warranty and that it was going to cost roughly $6,500 to have them replaced and reprogrammed. We've owned numerous Nissans and did not have any issues like this.
after reading hundreds of forams I cannot believe infinity will not address this issue I will never buy another Infiniti again and advise everybody I know to do the same.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,387 Posts
That is an absurd amount of money for something that has all the functionality of an Amazon Fire tablet...probably less. The unmitigated gall of Infiniti to charge such an extravagant price for something virtually essential to the basic operations of the car is just as appalling as what big pharma does to the healthcare system. It is $h!t like this that drives away customers and any automaker deserves whatever the market place decides when they do business like this. When I was looking for a car in 2018, one of my criteria was a minimal amount of functions that relied on touchscreens, and the Q50 was the winner amongst the short list I had compiled. At least you can run basic HVAC still, but you'll have to sing to yourself.

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
607 Posts
In this case (and before paying 6.5k) I'd go with the Chinese aftermarket Tesla screen...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like the way you think and I also checked into that myself. The downside is the Tesla screen cannot function without being plugged into the DCU when it's installed the DCU is still behind it. No aftermarket Stereos that can be installed in it other than Tesla's unit . :(

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
607 Posts
Right, I forgot the other car functions...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been waiting almost 2 months for a DCU to come in .. wonder if it's a sign of how many are being done!

------------------------------------------------
2017 QX60

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
I've been waiting almost 2 months for a DCU to come in .. wonder if it's a sign of how many are being done!

------------------------------------------------
2017 QX60
A delay can also be an indication that its a part that fails infrequently as well as not something they keep reasonably stocked.

But most likely due to COVID as there are delays in shipping across the globe for every industry, I can't even get laptops or monitors in for my office staff in a reasonable time-frame and those are considered essential goods.

Reactions: q50adix
21 - 27 of 27 Posts