Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
2018 Q50 silver s, 2021 Q50 RS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of increasing boost/power, I wish to reduce the boost/power on my 2021 Q50 RS.

Has anyone done it before? What mod/software? Hopefully this is something could be easily un-done.

Before you guys think I am crazy, here is the reason. When I cold start and drive off the car in the morning(Canadian winter), it feels like there is no turbo boost and the engine would rev higher on each gear until the engine warm up. I actually like that kind of driving dynamics, similar to a v6 NA engine. ( Slower but way smooother, also the exhaust sounds good) Just wish to drive in that mode for all day when I don't need 400hp.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

· Premium Member
904 Posts
Instead of increasing boost/power, I wish to reduce the boost/power on my 2021 Q50 RS.

Has anyone done it before? What mod/software? Hopefully this is something could be easily un-done.

Before you guys think I am crazy, here is the reason. When I cold start and drive off the car in the morning(Canadian winter), it feels like there is no turbo boost and the engine would rev higher on each gear until the engine warm up. I actually like that kind of driving dynamics, similar to a v6 NA engine. ( Slower but way smooother, also the exhaust sounds good) Just wish to drive in that mode for all day when I don't need 400hp.

View attachment 113836
The only option for that is to go into your settings and choose either eco mode for driving or create a personal mode where you can reduce the power out put by selecting transmission mode select snow or eco for that. Another thing you can do is turn on the eco pedal and and go into your menu click drive enhancements and select Standard if you want a smoother response from the e and the power it puts out. Soft will also help as well but might be a little touchy.

· Premium Member
904 Posts
Now you can’t detune the engine at all as you should‘ve bought a regular sport 3.0T with 300 horsepower if you didn’t need all that power to begin with. If you try to alter the stock engine output you will hurt the car rather helping it in anyway. The above mentioned steps should help you get a better feel on the driving experience you want.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now you can’t detune the engine at all as you should‘ve bought a regular sport 3.0T with 300 horsepower if you didn’t need all that power to begin with. If you try to alter the stock engine output you will hurt the car rather helping it in anyway. The above mentioned steps should help you get a better feel on the driving experience you want.
I had a 2018 Q50 300hp. When the lease was almost up I pulled forward to upgrade to the RS.

The 2018 Q50 is a smoother ride TBH.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only option for that is to go into your settings and choose either eco mode for driving or create a personal mode where you can reduce the power out put by selecting transmission mode select snow or eco for that. Another thing you can do is turn on the eco pedal and and go into your menu click drive enhancements and select Standard if you want a smoother response from the e and the power it puts out. Soft will also help as well but might be a little touchy.
Thanks! Will try it out.

Never knew there is "eco pedal" setting after driving Q50 for 5 years;)

· Registered
764 Posts
Thanks! Will try it out.

Never knew there is "eco pedal" setting after driving Q50 for 5 years;)
It's extremely mushy, I can't really imagine a tuner not being able to back boost off or upload a 3.0t tune. I will say, I'd keep the power because you never know when you'll need it. There was a story of a guy in a Porsche who missed getting t boned because he was able to floor it out of the way. Jeremy Clarkson only said goodbye to his dad because he was driving a Porsche and was able to speed there.

Maybe the key is the drive a Porsche.

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,705 Posts
If that is not enough for you than a JB4 device has a valet mode that provides negative boost to the ECU tune (4 PSI I think?). Also a pedal controller can mute your input significantly. My Hikeit on ECO mode is downright dangerous due to very muted response. It's very configurable though so you can set it anywhere between dangerously slow and berserk/instant response. Just be careful you buy the correct unit for your car/pedal.

· Registered
2018 Q50S [RWD]
224 Posts
Theoretically speaking you could achieve this with an Ecutek calibration. You would have to speak to the tuner and let them know your goal. Ecutek let's you have different maps at different boost levels, it's all up to the tuner and the client's goals.

For example my 3.0 t 300hp version:
Map 1 is daily and the boost output is Redsport levels.
Map 2 is Kill Mode and the boost output is 18 psi.

And even within the maps I can adjust those maps if I wanted less boost, I just can't go OVER what they have set it to.

Reactions: billyz and darien87

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
If that is not enough for you than a JB4 device has a valet mode that provides negative boost to the ECU tune (4 PSI I think?). Also a pedal controller can mute your input significantly. My Hikeit on ECO mode is downright dangerous due to very muted response. It's very configurable though so you can set it anywhere between dangerously slow and berserk/instant response. Just be careful you buy the correct unit for your car/pedal.
JB4 map 8 valet mode, according to Burger, simulates 200 HP and is automatically selected when in ECO mode.

My Sprint Booster also has a valet mode with 3 settings that limit acceleration by 55%, 65%, and 75%. I would imagine other pedal controllers have a similar feature.

Reactions: jodedor

· Premium Member
4,415 Posts

View attachment 113836
if it hasnt been said already, have a tuner set the boost to wastegate only.

· Registered
1,320 Posts
If you want the rpms to hang longer, why not just use the manual mode and keep it in gear longer, along with less throttle? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the reasoning of wanting to go that route though.

· Registered
1,556 Posts

that feeling you're experiencing is the transmission not using the lock up because the fluid is too low temp. youll notice that when the trans is cold, the converter will flash to 3,000rpm in all gears unless you push the pedal far enough to force a downshift. 7th is the only gear where lock up works 100% of the time. 1st gear is the only gear where lock up can never engage.

ECO mode has been mentioned already but try snow mode instead. that reduces the engine output and lessens throttle angle more than ECO mode. i believe the transmission follows the shift schedule from ECO mode, though there is no direct mention of that in the FSM. ECO does have different (lower mph) shift schedules compared to normal however.

· Registered
729 Posts
Is there a reason that no one has mentioned having the car tuned and having the first map as the de-tuned silver sport 9 psi of boost? In theory, this is possible but I would defer to @Boxy for a solid answer on this.

· Registered
1,556 Posts
Is there a reason that no one has mentioned having the car tuned and having the first map as the de-tuned silver sport 9 psi of boost? In theory, this is possible but I would defer to @Boxy for a solid answer on this.
yeah, because no one needs to pay over $1000 to have less performance when a single toggle switch will likely suffice.

· Premium Member
4,415 Posts
yeah, because no one needs to pay over $1000 to have less performance when a single toggle switch will likely suffice.
or, go easy on the pedal.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
  • Love
Reactions: jodedor

· Registered
1,556 Posts
I don’t get it
read this:

that feeling you're experiencing is the transmission not using the lock up because the fluid is too low temp. youll notice that when the trans is cold, the converter will flash to 3,000rpm in all gears unless you push the pedal far enough to force a downshift. 7th is the only gear where lock up works 100% of the time. 1st gear is the only gear where lock up can never engage.

ECO mode has been mentioned already but try snow mode instead. that reduces the engine output and lessens throttle angle more than ECO mode. i believe the transmission follows the shift schedule from ECO mode, though there is no direct mention of that in the FSM. ECO does have different (lower mph) shift schedules compared to normal however.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts