Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I applied Master Formula paint sealant in September, but it was too **** hot to do much else. Now that we have some really nice cool temps in Dallas, I went to town on my Q50 this weekend:

First, the glass:
- Invisible Shield to remove contaminants
- Diamondite Glasswork Shield to repel future water spots and dirt
My glass looks crystal clear now.

- Opti Lens Coating for the headlights and all other plastic lenses front and back

- Prima Banana Gloss wax. The black finish now looks like a mirror. Pics can't capture the depth this brings. I'll probably go with synthetic before winter weather due to the superior durability.

- I neglected my wheels until now, so I applied Master Formula sealant on them. Butter smooth now.

My Q50 now looks better than it did when I first picked it up.

Next project: Opti-Coat on the front-facing parts of the car. I'm hesitant to do this because of it's curing time, and I lack an indoor space to shield the car from dust (which there is a lot of in Dallas). I have to figure out a solution for this.

·
Registered
407 Posts
With all new cars some serious detailing is required from how I see it. A LOT of new cars have orange peel on them, from our cars to cars in the $100k range. Take care of that and get anything else done that needs to be and it'll be amazing! Can't wait to see your Q50, pictures!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
These iPhone camera pics don't do justice, but it's all I have, and they probably look no different than the pics I posted after picking it up in August. In person, there's a definite difference that the carnauba wax brings. The black paint is like a dark mirror, especially on the side panels.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Looks amazing... great job. I bet it was very rewarding

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
you dont have to worry about the opti-coat curing time.
you have opti-coat 2.0 right? its a consumer version with a longer curing time. you have time to do 2 panels before you go over it lightly with a MF to catch any high areas. You do need good lighting but I would not apply opti-coat out in the sun. wait for the sun to get lower before you attempt it. the paint should be cool or warm at most.

dust is not an issue. just make sure the surface is clean prior to applying opti-coat

IPA wipedown or some kind of residue remover wipedown prior.

if dust falls on the car while its curing its not going to bond. the product flashes off within 30 seconds. it does get tacky while its curing for the first 30 minutes but i've never seen dust STICK to it and not come off.

good luck. it looks great

All Q50 owners with black cars should look into getting their cars applied with opti-coat to make the ownership process of a black car a little bit easier.

shoot me a PM if you want a recommendation for detailers. I know of quite a few of them all over the US and Canada.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.