Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
clicking through some of the threads i see alot of tough decisions being made about colour options, and with rumors Infiniti will be releasing an additional 5 colours a silly little thought popped into my head.

Imagine if you could change the colour of your car from a little dash mouted dial or something? or better yet a colour selector on the touch screen like in microsoft paint LOLLL

Id go for it, my car matches my trousers thank you very much ;)

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I seem to remember Ford experimenting with color changing paint. It changed based on heat or UV exposure, resulting on uneven color changes. They sold the Mustang with such a color, was not successful. Basedon current tech, in order to have even color tech, you would have to apply even electrical charge or heat through out the paint surface - an expensive and heavy solution. Not really viable.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
clicking through some of the threads i see alot of tough decisions being made about colour options, and with rumors Infiniti will be releasing an additional 5 colours a silly little thought popped into my head.

Imagine if you could change the colour of your car from a little dash mouted dial or something? or better yet a colour selector on the touch screen like in microsoft paint LOLLL

Id go for it, my car matches my trousers thank you very much ;)
Ohhhhhhh how I would love that!! I have a room in my house called the "Diva Den" that is just heels, purses and jewelry so I'm all about accessorizing. Having the ability to match my car to my outfit..............FABULOUS!!!

And it would have also allowed me to order my Q50!!! :p

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I seem to remember Ford experimenting with color changing paint. It changed based on heat or UV exposure, resulting on uneven color changes. They sold the Mustang with such a color, was not successful. Basedon current tech, in order to have even color tech, you would have to apply even electrical charge or heat through out the paint surface - an expensive and heavy solution. Not really viable.
of course its not viable, just a thought experiment/day dream fodder

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
lol

I think I made a joke about a similar kind of technology of being able to change the colors. I believe that this kind of technology is out there now, but limited mostly to military and aerospace capabilities and I'm sure is way too sophisticated, expensive, and non-value added for car applications (and who would buy it? I don't think there's much demand for this).

As someone pointed out, the idea's been tossed around before so I think it's something that might be seen in the future, but it's probably gonna be at least 15 years before we get close to something like that. 15 years might not sound like a long time, but then again, brand new cars made in 1998 never had anywhere near the kinds of technology that we have in cars today. :)

And...even though the technology might be there in the future, I'm pretty sure there will be some heavy legal and NTSB ramifications. I dunno...Being able to change the color of your car seems potentially dangerous somehow. :p

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
explain more about the "5 new colors".....are these new colors that they havent already shown? when will they be available?
HAHA...it wasn't a serious comment. It was something someone teased me about on another thread because I still can't make up my mind about what color I want. :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
explain more about the "5 new colors".....are these new colors that they havent already shown? when will they be available?
This. I haven't really been active on the boards as I have quite a bit of time to go before I purchase and have been happy just reading everyone's posts and catching up.

One thing I haven't even started to consider seriously is color. I currently own a grey colored car. I was veering towards red but hubby just bought a 2014 Mazda CX-5 in Soul Red Metallic. We'd rather not have two red cars and I loathe the idea of being lost in the sea of grey, silver, and white. I see a LOT of Infiniti G35/37's in these colors, not to mention other makes and models, and black is just too hard to keep clean. That leaves me with Hagane Blue and Chestnut Bronze. I feel like I am too young for the brown, no offense intended to those who are considering it, and the Hagane Blue looks like it can't make up its mind between a stainless steel blue/greyish silver from most of the pics I have seen. Ofcourse, I know I would need to see them in person before I can really describe the color for myself, more so with Hagane Blue. But I am not really bowled away by the grey/silver tint it shows at different angles and/or lighting.

What I would have really loved to see is a variation on Lapis Blue/Blue Slate. I feel like Infiniti is really lacking a color from that spectrum for the 2014 Q50.

·
Registered
16 Posts
He is absolutely in LOVE with it! We test drove a few competitors including the ubiquitous CRV and the RAV4. He is not really a car guy and it takes a little prodding from me to really consider different options when choosing a car but he just connected with the CX-5. According to him - Super fun to drive, smooth, lots of space for all his music gear, great mileage. The Zoom Zoom aspect really does connect! Haha.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol

I think I made a joke about a similar kind of technology of being able to change the colors. I believe that this kind of technology is out there now, but limited mostly to military and aerospace capabilities and I'm sure is way too sophisticated, expensive, and non-value added for car applications (and who would buy it? I don't think there's much demand for this).

As someone pointed out, the idea's been tossed around before so I think it's something that might be seen in the future, but it's probably gonna be at least 15 years before we get close to something like that. 15 years might not sound like a long time, but then again, brand new cars made in 1998 never had anywhere near the kinds of technology that we have in cars today. :)

And...even though the technology might be there in the future, I'm pretty sure there will be some heavy legal and NTSB ramifications. I dunno...Being able to change the color of your car seems potentially dangerous somehow. :p
AHAHAHAAA good point, commit the crimes in black, drive about in red. Very Grand Theft Auto

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
He is absolutely in LOVE with it! We test drove a few competitors including the ubiquitous CRV and the RAV4. He is not really a car guy and it takes a little prodding from me to really consider different options when choosing a car but he just connected with the CX-5. According to him - Super fun to drive, smooth, lots of space for all his music gear, great mileage. The Zoom Zoom aspect really does connect! Haha.
Yeah, I love the car too...I mean, if I was looking for a small CUV just to get around in, that would be my first choice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.