Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what is being displayed on the top screen (and bottom I guess) if you do not buy nav package. I'm torn about paying 1.4K for something my cell phone does just as good when connected through car's speaker system and (unlike built in nav) will keep improving every year.

I'm not interested in XM that comes with nav either. Is there anything else I will be forfeiting if I don't buy nav package?

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
There is a bigg difference between glancing quickly at the car nav screen (and the screen between the gauges in the instrument panel), and looking for directions on you 5" smartphone. Until we used in-car navigation on my wife's 2010 murano, I was of the same school of thought - use the smartphone. But when you are in rush hour traffic, and/or doing 60 mph, in an unfamiliar area, that in-car navigation is very valuable.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Literally just walked in the door after grounding my lease and picking up a barebones Q50 loaner. No leather, no nav, no deluxe touring.

Very familiar engine feel (coming from G37) with smoother transmission for sure.

Anyway, I didn't realize the loaner had no nav until I drove off the lot. If it were me, I wouldn't even consider the car without nav. Luckily, everyone is not me or they would never be able to sell this car :)

The top screen shows basically 4 options: audio info (simply matches the lower screen with album art), some economy thing, a 'score' of some sort - haven't had the time or desire to figure that one out???, and the clock.

Very boring and not very dynamic. Seems like a wasted screen if you ask me.

But there are lots of folks in your camp that don't see the value in spending the money on nav. I wouldn't with this car though.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Literally just walked in the door after grounding my lease and picking up a barebones Q50 loaner. No leather, no nav, no deluxe touring.

Very familiar engine feel (coming from G37) with smoother transmission for sure.

Anyway, I didn't realize the loaner had no nav until I drove off the lot. If it were me, I wouldn't even consider the car without nav. Luckily, everyone is not me or they would never be able to sell this car :)

The top screen shows basically 4 options: audio info (simply matches the lower screen with album art), some economy thing, a 'score' of some sort - haven't had the time or desire to figure that one out???, and the clock.

Very boring and not very dynamic. Seems like a wasted screen if you ask me.

But there are lots of folks in your camp that don't see the value in spending the money on nav. I wouldn't with this car though.
Sweet! They gave u a Q50 loaner! Sexy pics pls? :p

·
Registered
432 Posts
I wouldn't buy a car without navigation anymore now that I had it in my G35.
The back up camera included is just a life saver in terms of parking and time.

Reactions: SnowItch

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Mostly it seems to default to displaying a round "analog" clock. I haven't played with it enough to figure out if you can make it display a different clock (line you can on the lower screen).

I sold a strippy non premium car today. On the plus side, it takes way less time to deliver that car than a tech car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I can totally relate to everyone's arguments for why they don't want nav in the car. But this is one of those times where being cheap isn't worth it. Suck it up and pay for the nav. It's way better than trying to navigate with your tiny screen on your iPhone, and the extra features/capabilities make it worth it.

Interesting that your dealer already has some as loaners. They must have had a bunch of G's coming off lease. We just put a bunch of QX60's into loaner service. Thankfully we weren't stupid and we equipped them with navi (Prem 1&2 in QX60 speak). We've had them in service for just over a week and I already sold a QX60 to a customer with an old QX56 that needed a bunch of repairs. She saw the around view monitor and updated navi and instantly wanted it. I need to make sure we don't put strippy Q50's into loaner service. It's worth the extra $25/mo lease payment to get navi.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my opinion, nav is a must have.

We bought a car about 18 months ago that was well equipped,but lacked nav. We justified at the time that we would be using the car mainly locally and that we always had the iPhones (and even bought a $100 stand alone unit to keep in the car). FAIL! Sold the car in 8 months, and lack of nav was 1 of several reasons we dumped it.

If you've never had built in nav, I can understand the balking at the cost. But the huge screen (relative to a phone or stand alone unit), the integration to the controls, etc. make it well worth it.

That being said, Google Maps on a phone is really very very good, better than the built in nav. Just not as convenient or, IMO, safe to use.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
The only reason I'd see not having the navigation is if you live in a small town and you don't drive a whole lot out of that area and you know the area like the back of your hand. There's would be very few instances where you'll ever need quick and easy directions to get anywhere or a list of addresses that you can pull up at any moment to take you somewhere.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Found this pic on IG. This is essentially what you see in Qs w/o the Nav pkg. Clearly a waste of an otherwise very useful (nav) screen. :(
Technology Electronic device Gadget Multimedia

Reactions: SimpsonTide985

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I took pics of the 4 options. I will try to post later. Again, let me say that they are . . Undewhelming.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the pictures. The end result without nav is indeed underwelming. I guess I will have to suck it up. Just trying to fit into my mid-40K budget... With this car it seems to be a challenge even though you could get fully loaded G for that money a year ago...

·
Registered
585 Posts
What happens if you put a navigation SD card into the slot of a non nav car?
Good question. I guess it is possible that the screen in the non nav cars doesn't support the higher resolutions needed for NAV; otherwise everyone would be skipping the $1000+ option and just buying the NAV software (I haven't looked if the NAV software is tied to VIN number, etc). Seems like you would get more for the $1000+ than just the software.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Um, I think it's highly unlikely Infiniti would install the gyroscope, GPA receiver and pay for the nav software/program on a car that wasn't bringing in revenue to cover those costs. It would be cool but I can't imagine they would do that.

The card likely only has the data for the nav and the firmware has the programming for the system.

That would be like saying you should be able to watch digital cable if you have a TV but not the set top box (you know what I mean ;) ).

I just don't think they would do that. . . But I've been wrong before :)

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Pics of the Non-Nav upper screen.

Let's see if this worked. Sorry for the delay. Had to compress them to be able to upload.

These are all the options for the top screen if you don't order Nav. The score screen rates your ecodriving?

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Has anyone figured out a way to change the format if the clock that's displayed on that upper screen?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to get audio information to display on the top screen like that on a car with the Nav package?

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to get audio information to display on the top screen like that on a car with the Nav package?
Not sure on your question but when you have something like the iPod/iPhone playing, the top screen doesn't show any song time details. Bottom screen has it but not the top screen. Just thought I'd mention that. Seems like an oversight but whatever. . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't plan on getting nav nor would I ever in a car.

Phones' navigation apps update so frequently it makes an in dash nav system practically obsolete the day you buy it. Taking screen size out of the equation compare Google Navigation or any comparable phone navigation app and there's no way they compare (frame rate, ease of use, delay, search options,satellite view, etc.). I also plan on getting a phone mount so I have my phone easily visible. The other knock i have, which I don't know if this is still the case or not, is that with Hondas at least you had to pay $400 to get your maps updated to the newest maps! That's not the software that uses the maps but the maps themselves. I find that insane when they're free online and on your phone.

The only advantage I can see with having an in car nav system is the screen size. But that alone is not worth the high price point and relatively out dated technology.

Just my opinion...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.