Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
depends where you are and what you want to do. where i am a can of plastidip costs about 12 bucks, i heard down in the states you can get it at the hardware store for 5 bucks. it took maybe half a can to do both sides. a friend of mine did his rims 5 coats each 20 inch rims took about 6 cans

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Ill have one up tomorrow too dark to take one now. Im takimg them off as soon as I can find some automotive goo gone

·
Registered
209 Posts
i did my last car, got 2 boxes of plastidip from Lowes from the states for $25.00 each box, and i did the rims on my car 3 times with 5 coats, did my roof 3 times with 8 coats, did my emblems twice with 4 coats, did my front grill once with 4 coats, and some interior of my buddies cars, and i plastidip'd my tool cabinet all black, and i still have 3 cans left

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thinking about doing a Matte black over my rims...
i honestly think you shouldn't do your rims matte black because from experience, i found that the plastidip on the rims tend to fade over time, i recommend doing gloss black, it protects the rims, and gives a shine, and doesn't fade over time

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
i thought about that, but a friend of mine who does vinyl wrapping, (interior trim exterior etc.) told me wrapping window trim is a huge waste of money as youre paying for a big ass roll pretty much the length of the 2 doors, to make sure there isnt seams. therefor you pay for the piece and you use about 10% of the product. however it looks great, you could plastidip it thick wet coats looks pretty good. i personally dont like the look of plastidipped rims it looks cheap to me, however emblems & trim look pretty good.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
i've done the back arches as well, did you spray the whole grill? or just the chrome trim?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
howd you manage to mask off the grill and manage to peel the plastidip evenly. I havent figured out how to mask it properly as there really isnt any breaking lines between the chrome and the grill

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
howd you manage to mask off the grill and manage to peel the plastidip evenly. I havent figured out how to mask it properly as there really isnt any breaking lines between the chrome and the grill

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I used blue painters tape and as I finished I slowly peeled it back and cut whenever it seemed like it would connect...there's one part that's off but I'm waiting for the warmer weather to redo it, too cold in Ny now

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.