Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Q50 AWD Silver Sport
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 16' Q50SS AWD and my current setup is Hankook Ventus V12 staggered. I have 245/35R20 on front and 285/30R20 on back.

My back tires are due for a change and so my question come into play. Can I put on Michelin SS on the back even though they are the same size?

I searched and only saw another post about it, but it was a dead end.

·
Premium Member
'17 SS
564 Posts
If you have AWD, I would highly reccomend keeping them square, also same size and same brand.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you have AWD, I would highly reccomend keeping them square, also same size and same brand.
Yes listen to "Batell", its not recommended to go staggered on an AWD. But then again some cars are AWD and they come stock with staggered setup for instance the Nissan GTR. Also through extensive research, I have read online that its possible to have different brand tires as long as they are on the same axle. I did have a very scary encounter on my Q50S hybrid RWD where all the tires were the same besides one which was the same brand but different tread pattern and on a wet road it had lost traction and slipped out because of how that one tire which was located in the rear was cutting water different including the tread compared to the other tire in the rear which had a different tread pattern and was more performance oriented. You never want to have different tread pattern tires on the same axle which I found through extensive research online.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I stated, I already have a staggered setup which is within the percentage it needs to be to not cause issues. Been running this setup for 10,000 miles no issues, but my question remains.

Should I stay with Hankooks or make the slow conversion to Michelin starting with the rear tires?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did have a very scary encounter on my Q50S hybrid RWD where all the tires were the same besides the same axle. one which was the same brand but different tread pattern and on a wet road it had lost traction and slipped out because of how that one tire which was located in the rear was cutting water different including the tread compared to the other tire in the rear which had a different tread pattern and was more performance oriented. You never want to have different tread pattern tires on the same axle which I found through extensive research online.
Never even thought about that, thanks for that info. Might have to stay with Hankooks for now till I can upgrade all 4 and maybe change my wheels.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,333 Posts
IMHO, AWD shouldn't use staggered wheels and the tires should be identical in size and manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Those sizes are fine to run together even on an AWD. As was said the diameter is within tolerance. However, I do not recommend mixing brands of tires.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Whilst the general advice for most is not to stagger, those two sizes are perfect examples of AWD staggering done right. Only a ~0.07% difference in diameter. I'd probably keep the same tire brands, but it's unlikely you will suffer from not doing so unless you track it really hard, where the differences in grip may become problems.

·
Registered
786 Posts
To answer your question, I wouldn't do mixed brands. You'll get weird driving experience from how the tires grip since different brand. But I wouldn't recommend it, doesnt mean you cant do it. Your call and your car and budget.

Its nothing catastrophic that will happen perse and tons of cars on the road do this. I've even seen different brands on each corner of a used car traded in once

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,803 Posts
As long as the OD is close and since a staggered setup already has a different friction coefficient, mixing brands is not really a big deal.

Let's say with wider tires of the same compound the wider rear can (number made up) handle .8 g before losing traction, and the front can handle 7.8 g. (Understeer). Switching to a stickier front tire brand with the same OD and has .85 g. You have gone from understeer to oversteer. Changing how your car handles.

I don't see a problem mixing brands on the same axle. Just test your car to check how the different tire effected the cornering.

Personally I like a square setup. My 255's are plenty.

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,803 Posts
delete..double post

Reactions: Ddnspider

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
As long as the OD is close and since a staggered setup already has a different friction coefficient, mixing brands is not really a big deal.

Let's say with wider tires of the same compound the wider rear can (number made up) handle .8 g before losing traction, and the front can handle 7.8 g. (Understeer). Switching to a stickier front tire brand with the same OD and has .85 g. You have gone from understeer to oversteer. Changing how your car handles.

I don't see a problem mixing brands on the same axle. Just test your car to check how the different tire effected the cornering.

Personally I like a square setup. My 255's are plenty.
This all day.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I think it's just easier/simpler to advise against doing staggered on AWD or mixing different tire brands/tread designs than to explain which individual permutation would or would not work, including potential cost and safety implications.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I think it's just easier/simpler to advise against doing staggered on AWD or mixing different tire brands/tread designs than to explain which individual permutation would or would not work, including potential cost and safety implications.
True. But.. Big and smalls look cooler. haha

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
True. But.. Big and smalls look cooler. haha
Ha! Depends on where you put the big and the small...if you know what I mean.

My old summer dumbflops were passed down to my maxima and I even rotated them at one point believe it or not (265s on front and 245s at the back). There's not really that much of a width difference between 245s and 265s so none of my friends ever noticed. Plus, the wheels aren't poking out so it's hardly noticeable esp for anyone with untrained eye. But I must say the maxima actually handled well on those dumbflops and much quieter than on goodyear asymmetric A/S. Of course the A/S version of the dumbflops are worse, i think we can all agree on that.

Reactions: u1arunit
1 - 15 of 15 Posts