Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Q50 Sensory
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen / done a digital gauge cluster on a q50?

Don't get me wrong, the OG analog gauges are great, but as a tech person digital would be awesome! Along with all of the possibilities, navigation, extra info etc.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I haven’t seen or done one, but I can’t help but to think that transposing the one from the new Z would look good. Dunno what it would take to make it work though. @nickdaria you’re the resident tech guy, what are your thoughts?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,718 Posts
I haven’t seen or done one, but I can’t help but to think that transposing the one from the new Z would look good. Dunno what it would take to make it work though. @nickdaria you’re the resident tech guy, what are your thoughts?
I haven't seen any digital clusters for the Q50, but if anyone can figure it out, it's probably nickdaria.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I haven't seen any digital clusters for the Q50, but if anyone can figure it out, it's probably nickdaria.
Hahaha I appreciate the tags for this, and it's actually something I've thought about a little bit! There are a few major hurdles, but I believe it's possible!

To be honest, I haven't really gone for it because last time I fixed a gauge cluster was on on my 2007 Xterra and even that was a b***h to take out. I gravitated to the DCU out of laziness because my integral switch broke and it was easy to get to. So if there's enough interest I'll probably move on to that once I wrap up my DCU software mod. I have personally wanted a digital speedo on my 2016.

Challenges:
  • Biggest challenge would be replicating stock CAN functionality. If you refer to LAN-74 in the FSM (the combination meter is the "M&A" column), you can see the cluster is not only responsible for receiving and displaying data, but also transmitting it back for key metrics like speed for data validity checks in other modules.
    • It is also responsible for things like the odometer, fuel calculations, paddle shifters, TCM manual mode, oil change counter reset, driver seat belt buckle switch, parking brake, and a few others.
    • It also transmits certain values to the AV system like speed, reverse status, moving, etc
  • It's not fun to get to
  • There are things I won't be able to test & experiment with because I have a 2016 without assistive driving features like FEB and Lane Assist.
  • Some signals we want aren't on the CAN bus without an Ecutek tune (that we know of) like boost pressure
  • Designing and building the hardware.

Advantages
Some of the stuff we could display would be frankly badass.
  • AWD status (% distribution & temps)
  • Individual wheel speed
    • This would be cool because I could display a 3d model of the Q50 and animate wheel spin to current speed so things like burnouts would be sick
  • Estimated engine torque
  • Visual effects
    • Changing gauge color based on mode
    • Changing gauge color near redline
    • etc
  • Customization
    • Background images
    • Boot screen
  • Detailed data such as temps & DTC code readouts
    • We could also choose to disable certain codes from showing a CEL
  • Lastly, I have added CarPlay to the pre-2020 DCU without additional hardware (just a software patch and a CarLinkit adapter), so a digital display could potentially support Apple's upcoming dual Carplay displays feature where you could show maps in the cluster and music in the head unit.
    • Don't get too excited about this yet by the way, I still haven't gotten phone calls or siri to work because the audio bitrate changes :(

To wrap it all up, I can certainly look into this once I'm done playing with the DCU. Realistically I think I might just put some of this data on the DCU and see if I'm happy, but maybe if my Carplay patch generates enough cash I could buy a few clusters and start messing around.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Agreed... Nick is highly skilled at reverse engineering and I suspect he will have a very easy to use solution in the next few months. His energy and enthusiasm is very high... He has what it takes to figure this complicated stuff out.
I appreciate the kind words, looking forward to bringing this project home.

On another note I was going to speak to you later regarding this, but I stumbled upon the consortium responsible for the fundamental ideas and software used in the InTouch system. (Members of the consortium include the DCU manufacturer DENSO, and the new 2020+ system manufacturer BOSCH)

Pretty exciting stuff.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Red Sport AWD
33 Posts
I had a M56 before the Q and I saw someone in a FB M/Q70 forum had done one on it.

Reactions: nickdaria

·
Registered
2 Posts
@nickdaria hey what’s up my g, I tried to dm you here but I’m a brand new account so I “haven’t unlocked these feature” yet, could you send me your instagram @, or somewhere that I can dm you about this and a few other questions I have? Would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
@nickdaria hey what’s up my g, I tried to dm you here but I’m a brand new account so I “haven’t unlocked these feature” yet, could you send me your instagram @, or somewhere that I can dm you about this and a few other questions I have? Would be greatly appreciated
@nickdaria2. I'll add you back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts