Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a Nissan/Infiniti dealership manager for 20 years, and this company never ceases to amaze me in the ways that they can totally underachieve. First off, this car, albeit quite nice, is not very much of a departure from the existing model. All of us at the retail level fully expected it to be a game changer like the original G35 was, but it falls way short of that. Furthermore, this new naming system is totally ridiculous...our present clients hate it, and it will only serve to confuse potential new buyers. But remember, this is the same company that changed its name from Datsun to Nissan in the mid-80's, and has never returned to its former glory since. Again...underwhelming job, Nissan! But of course, you will blame all of your shortcomings on your Dealers, as you always have! Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan - they have amazing engineers who can deliver awesome products, but they are continuously sabotaged by the suits (who are not car guys) who fail to deliver on the final product side, and are continuously antagonistic towards their Dealers ...so sad!:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow fodat!! Can you let me know what area your dealership is, so that I know not to bring my business there when I purchase my 2014 Q50S AWD?

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I have been a Nissan/Infiniti dealership manager for 20 years, and this company never ceases to amaze me in the ways that they can totally underachieve. First off, this car, albeit quite nice, is not very much of a departure from the existing model. All of us at the retail level fully expected it to be a game changer like the original G35 was, but it falls way short of that. Furthermore, this new naming system is totally ridiculous...our present clients hate it, and it will only serve to confuse potential new buyers. But remember, this is the same company that changed its name from Datsun to Nissan in the mid-80's, and has never returned to its former glory since. Again...underwhelming job, Nissan! But of course, you will blame all of your shortcomings on your Dealers, as you always have! Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan - they have amazing engineers who can deliver awesome products, but they are continuously sabotaged by the suits (who are not car guys) who fail to deliver on the final product side, and are continuously antagonistic towards their Dealers ...so sad!:(
While I definitely respect your opinion regarding the Q50, I cannot understand what you are saying about Chrysler. If sales are an indication of success, Chrysler is doing a great job right now. The 300C is everywhere I look and Dodge has Chargers and Challengers all over the place. I have no doubt that the Dart will do just as well.

On another note, it is cool to have someone with Infiniti on this forum that is willing to speak their mind. Please let us know your thoughts once you are trained on the Q50. I bet we'll get some good feedback from you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, Boone, and rest assured that I will keep everyone up to date.

As an automotive insider, I caution you not to confuse great sales with great quality, or co-mingle popularity of the product with the competency of the company which produces that product. The product is only as good as the people who allow it to be made, and then to allow it to be made as the original idea was conceived. You referenced Chrysler, and how they are doing so well. From a sales and Wall Street perspective, they definitely are. But what do you base true success on for a car company? Earnings? Sales? If that were true, GM made the greatest cars ever during the 1980's, when they were the world leader in all areas, yet anyone who knows anything about cars will tell you that GM products of the 80's were some of the worst of all time! As far as today's automotive landscape is concerned, I laud Ford, because they stayed afloat without taking government money, and have steadily improved their products and designs while regaining profitability and market share.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I agree with boone in respecting your decisions, and hope this doesn't become one of those forums that people are always pissy when others express their opinions, but le me as you this fodat, what are you basing your opinion off of? Have you driven the car or had a chance to sit inside of one? Or is it based on the currently released specs?

Again I respect your opinion, but just curious what lead you to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I respect everyone's opinion, what's going with the naming of the Q50 may initially push some customers away. I think once everyone sees and drives the Q50 first hand, they will understand the overall car is a step forward none the less. I see something similar to what the new Corvette taillights have done; alienated some customers, but the overall car is on another level:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I truly hope this car is a home run like the original G35 was - it literally changed the fortunes of Infiniti (and its Dealers) and took the brand to where it is today. Don't get me wrong - I love the vehicles, and I am certain that this car will be a fantastic performer. I was just expecting the new model to have a significantly higher "WOW factor" - perhaps my expectations were unrealistic.

With Infiniti there continues to be no better value to be found in terms of what the consumer receives for their money, all throughout the lineup. And I hope I am wrong about the re-naming issue, but I am merely stating what our clients have said. With any change, there are pros and cons - I just hope this one works to our advantage.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Thank you, Boone, and rest assured that I will keep everyone up to date.

As an automotive insider, I caution you not to confuse great sales with great quality, or co-mingle popularity of the product with the competency of the company which produces that product. The product is only as good as the people who allow it to be made, and then to allow it to be made as the original idea was conceived. You referenced Chrysler, and how they are doing so well. From a sales and Wall Street perspective, they definitely are. But what do you base true success on for a car company? Earnings? Sales? If that were true, GM made the greatest cars ever during the 1980's, when they were the world leader in all areas, yet anyone who knows anything about cars will tell you that GM products of the 80's were some of the worst of all time! As far as today's automotive landscape is concerned, I laud Ford, because they stayed afloat without taking government money, and have steadily improved their products and designs while regaining profitability and market share.
From the perspective of a consumer and a car lover, you are 100% dead on. Those cars that GM was foisting on the public back then and selling by the millions are exactly why the Japanese imports managed to establish such a solid foothold in America. So, if what you are saying holds true for Chrysler, they are looking at a short-term gain but a long-term loss. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out in the end.

I think the change in name to the Infiniti lineup is going to be an adjustment but ultimately it will not matter much if at all. We enthusiasts often forget that we are a small percentage of the auto market. The average buyer will just look at the new name quizzically for a second and move on if the car itself grabs them.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Fodat I have a question..

Fodat,

How is your inventory of fx and qx?
We have no fx's or qx's and Infiniti is not allowing us allocation..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I totally concur with you Boone. There was a time, long ago in my career that I was disappointed in myself for making alot of money by "representing" a foreign car maker and benefiting from their success at the expense of the BIG 3. But when I began to gain firsthand knowledge of the situation, it became obvious to me that the Big 3 were their own worst enemy...I could go on at great length about meetings I was in during the 90's with GM management and their idiotic processes, which would have killed the company if you, I and the rest of the American people hadn't been forced to rescue them. In the end, I am happy that the Big 3 has turned things around, and I hope that the American automobile business has learned from its mistakes. I would love nothing more than to see the Big 3 from the 50's and 60's back to full prominence again! I sincerely hope that the new leadership of these companies do not fall back into old habits - I don't think they will!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FX's are almost impossible to get. It is my favorite car to drive as a demo and I haven't had one in 8 months - I think we have 4 in inventory and 2 slated to come in this month. We have a ton of QX's - no problem getting those.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I heard they fired Ben poore because he cut North America production on fx and ax and then we lost a lot of them during hurricane sandy .. Any truth to that?
Then they bring in the guy from Audi and he changes all the names..
Do you think they will have crazy lease deals on all the cars when the new names come out like they did on the fx last year..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ben Poore was not fired...where did you get that? He continues to do a fine job for us in the American market.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Ugh.

I really don't get how anyone could seriously be up in arms about the name change so much.
I was never too happy about the name change. There aren't very many who LIKE it. So I'd say it wasn't that great of a success initially.

Personally what keeps the G class and now the Q50/Q60 alive is the drive train. They might not change it much but its bulletproof and I love it.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I wasnt a fan of the name change that infiniti did either but this is their idea of refreshment in the brand itself. Trying to stir up some controversy and what not. So instead of remembering the car by letter you have to know the number now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On a positive note, I was informed by my dealer a few days ago that Infiniti is mandating upgrades/remodeling to most if not all of its North American dealerships by 2015. This will cost each dealership an average of $1.5M ($750K+ for the interior and $750K+ for the exterior of the buildings - Nissan/Infiniti will match this investment with equivalent dollars meaning the average total upgrade cost per dealership will be $3M). As per the WSJ reporting that the senior execs at Nissan are committing tens of billions of dollars in new investment to the Infiniti brand, this makes sense. Fodat, you may finally be getting the attention and respect you have been seeking.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts