Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Materials: (2014~2016, 7 speed automatic transmission).

- Nissan Matic S ATF 1qt - Part# 999MPMTS00P : 12EA ($90 at Infiniti Dealer)
- Overflow Plug/Bolt - Part# 31361-1XJ0A : 1EA ($1.25 at Infiniti Dealer)
- Gear Lube Pump : 1EA ($4.87 at Walmart, Item #004580089 )
- 5mm Hex (for overflow bolt)
- 19mm Socket (for drain bolt)
- Locking Plier (if overflow bolt was fastened too tight)
- Jack Stands 4EA, Floor Jack.
- Torque Wrench, Sockets, Paper Towel, Drain Container, IR Thermometer, Brake Parts Cleaner.

Refer the service manual, TM page 205-207.

Tip 1)

Use 4 of jack stands to make the car level. Put the car on the stands until job is completed.

Tip 2)

Loosen the overflow bolt first using 5mm Hex. If it doesn't work, use locking plier. Put drain container under the bolt and remove the bolt. 1.5qt of ATF will drain.

Tip 3)

Remove the drain bolt (19mm socket) and drain the ATF. 2qt of ATF will drain.

Tip 4)

Insert the Yamaha adapter (the manufacturer calls it as Yamaha adapter) to the overflow hole. It has different thread pitch but it works !!! DO NOT TIGHTEN the adapter too much. Use only fingertip not to cross thread it.

Tip 5)

Leave the pump/adapter connected even while starting engine, waiting 1 minute, draining the fluid, refilling, starting engine, waiting 1 minute, draining, refilling... Disconnect the pump/adapter at the last step.

Tip 6)

Drain bolt torque: 34 Nm
Overflow bolt torque: 12.4 Nm

Tip 7)

1st drain: 3.5qt (1.5qt + 2.0qt)
1st fill: 3qt
2nd drain: 3 qt
2nd fill: 3 qt
3rd drain: 3 qt
3rd fill: 4 qt (0.5qt more)

Tip 8)

Fluid Level at the final step: Start engine, push brake pedal and shift gear lever to P -> R -> N -> D -> N -> R -> P -> R -> N -> D -> N -> R -> P and leave the lever at P position. Wait until the drain pan temperature reaches 40C(104F). Disconnect the pump/adapter from the overflow hole. ATF will drain a little and start to drip. (PS: If ATF doesn't drain when you disconnect the adapter, you need to fill more ATF). Install new overflow bolt (Torque: 12.4Nm).

Tip 9)

The ATF is filled for lifetime but the condition at 40k miles was marginal. I'm so glad I replaced it today.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the write up! I am debating doing this myself versus having the dealer do it while it is in for some warranty work.

I found another post with the tech manual pages detailing how to do the service (http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/diy-garage/82554-30k-fluid-question-2014-q50.html). I noticed that there were a couple of steps specific to the hybrids that were on the TM.

If you have the TM, could you help me out with a couple questions?
- Do you know what the "inspection mode 5 state" (step 2, line n) is? Is this disabling the EV mode so the engine is always running?
- Also, do you know what it is referring to in running the sub electric oil pump HBC-20 "HYBRID CONTROL SYSTEM" (step 4, line k)?

Also as a note, it took me a while to figure out that the yamaha adapter was a part included with the gear lube pump. Might be worthwhile editing the write up to clear that up for future people.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some pumps include the yamaha adapter in the package (refer the attached photo). Infiniti/Nissan discontinued the OEM adapter (charging pipe(Part# 31081-1EA5A) and o-ring (Part# 31526-8E000) but luckily we don't need them anymore.

My 2nd car G35 has 180k miles on it but the transmission still runs like new. I flushed the fluid every 40k miles with Valvoline maxlife full synthetic. The maxlife was in better condition after every 40k miles than the OEM Matic J(now S). But I used OEM Matic S this time since it's under warranty just in case. PS: I have gasoline 3.7 Q50.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I highly recommend to prepare a NEW overflow plug bolt before starting the work. It striped easily. I could remove the bolt with a locking plier but I had to run to a dealer. The drain bolt was strong enough though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Great write-up, details, and pictures. Will definitely refer to this in the future!

·
Registered
40 Posts
As far as part #'s for the overflow plug, will it be the same part # for a 2017 Q50 S Redsport?

Also, I don't get Tip #2 . I just want to check the fluid myself to make sure the shop filled it properly and it's not missing any. So when I loosen the overflow bolt if I lose 1.5 quarts then I will have defeited my purpose. How do I stop it from draining if I just wanna check the fluid?

Also, must you use a new overflow plug?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Agree with the question...if you lose 1.5qts first time why won't you at the end when you remove the pump assembly? A true overfill hole should be just that. Like a standard rear diff...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Agree with the question...if you lose 1.5qts first time why won't you at the end when you remove the pump assembly? A true overfill hole should be just that. Like a standard rear diff...
I'm a DIY-er but I don't exactly keep current with all car's technology as a car mechanic would.
Why can't they keep this crap simple. Put a **** dipstick in these cars and call it a day. Why do manufacturers have to keep complicating things.

·
Registered
85 Posts
[QUOTE[
I'm a DIY-er but I don't exactly keep current with all car's technology as a car mechanic would.
Why can't they keep this crap simple. Put a **** dipstick in these cars and call it a day. Why do manufacturers have to keep complicating things.[/QUOTE]

I am the Director of a 40 employee fleet maintenance shop and I can't keep up...one thing for sure they make it increasingly difficult for anyone but a dealership to make repairs.
Infiniti doesn't have the patent on that thought process though...

·
Registered
40 Posts
[QUOTE[
Why can't they keep this crap simple. Put a **** dipstick in these cars and call it a day. Why do manufacturers have to keep complicating things.
I am the Director of a 40 employee fleet maintenance shop and I can't keep up...one thing for sure they make it increasingly difficult for anyone but a dealership to make repairs.
Infiniti doesn't have the patent on that thought process though...[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more. I've been a side mechanic for decades doing my own stuff. Wen to school for auto mechanics in fact but then switched careers. I have a home shop with a lift and all sorts of tools and I just can't fathom these new ways of doing things. They make it more difficult as you said for us to do our own stuff.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, I don't get Tip #2 . I just want to check the fluid myself to make sure the shop filled it properly and it's not missing any. So when I loosen the overflow bolt if I lose 1.5 quarts then I will have defeited my purpose. How do I stop it from draining if I just wanna check the fluid?

Also, must you use a new overflow plug?
When engine stops, 1.5qt will drain. When engine runs, gear is at P position(P->R->N->D->N->R->P), fluid temperature is lower than 104F(40C), and unless it's not overfilled, it will not drain.

The overflow plug is just $2~3 at Infiniti or Nissan dealership. Because dealerships near my house didn't have the bolt in stock, I had to wait for several days. I installed old bolt temporarily and replaced it several days later.

So in total you used about 10 quarts?

Edit: Where did you get the Yamaha adapter?
I used 12 qt. The Yamaha adapter was included in the pump. It's quite amazing product for the price $5.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hmmmm. I don't necessarily like being underneath a running car on jack stands.....since I don't have a hoist....
Like it's been said "let us have a dipstick for gosh sake"!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
When engine stops, 1.5qt will drain. When engine runs, gear is at P position(P->R->N->D->N->R->P), fluid temperature is lower than 104F(40C), and unless it's not overfilled, it will not drain.

The overflow plug is just $2~3 at Infiniti or Nissan dealership. Because dealerships near my house didn't have the bolt in stock, I had to wait for several days. I installed old bolt temporarily and replaced it several days later.

I used 12 qt. The Yamaha adapter was included in the pump. It's quite amazing product for the price $5.
Ok, I gotcha now. So if you're just checking you want that engine running, period so it doesn't drain at the proper temperature.
For $2 -3 then it's not worth a diaster. just buy it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I just did mine. Simpler than I thought. Although, yes, PITA over a dipstick. I much rather have a dipstick.
I have a car lift at home so the process for me was simpler. The tricky part is when you do it by yourself. 104F climbs up there pretty quick and you have to be sort of quick pumping in fluid and checking drainage.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I plan to do a single drain and fill three consecutive weekends. Any ill effects to draining the fluid when the car is cold and refilling with the same amount?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hmmmm. I don't necessarily like being underneath a running car on jack stands.....since I don't have a hoist....
Like it's been said "let us have a dipstick for gosh sake"!!
At least we still have engine oil dipsticks. Last I remember, my old BMW didn't even have that.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts