Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had bought my Q50 10 days ago. Since the dealer didn't have a car with options I wanted in the inventory I decided to pay for the upgrades. When I've seen the prices for installation I had decided just to buy the parts and install it myself. Somewhere in this forum someone said "Why to pay $200 for ambient kit when you can buy LED's on net and pop them in. Well, the car is pre-wired but just not all the way and the kits contain lots of wire harness to be installed. It partially justify the price of installation. I bought: Rear and front splashguards, Ambient light kit, Illuminated kick plates and Interior welcome lights. The labor to install was around $600 so I declined the installation. Today I picked up the parts and it is lots of wiring. But it came with the link to installation website which (I think) will help other members. Here it is and good luck.
http://www.infiniti-techinfo.com/TSB/TSB_xml/nmIndex.aspx?tsbType=AI

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had bought my Q50 10 days ago. Since the dealer didn't have a car with options I wanted in the inventory I decided to pay for the upgrades. When I've seen the prices for installation I had decided just to buy the parts and install it myself. Somewhere in this forum someone said "Why to pay $200 for ambient kit when you can buy LED's on net and pop them in. Well, the car is pre-wired but just not all the way and the kits contain lots of wire harness to be installed. It partially justify the price of installation. I bought: Rear and front splashguards, Ambient light kit, Illuminated kick plates and Interior welcome lights. The labor to install was around $600 so I declined the installation. Today I picked up the parts and it is lots of wiring. But it came with the link to installation website which (I think) will help other members. Here it is and good luck.
http://www.infiniti-techinfo.com/TSB/TSB_xml/nmIndex.aspx?tsbType=AI

Done that, pretty easy if you have DIY skills. Welcome Lighting, Spoiler (Drilled like factory), and Illuminated Kick plates.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dang that is a lot of work...so if u get the kick plates with harness do u need to get harness again for the welcome lights?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dang that is a lot of work...so if u get the kick plates with harness do u need to get harness again for the welcome lights?
Well, each electrical accessory will require its own wiring harness. The car only requires one accessory connector wire harness. You Posi-Tap additional accessories into the accessory connector. Hopes that makes sense.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, can't wait. My car is in dealer shop now, they scratched a door quite deep when detailing, of course after I signed the papers. Hopefully they repair it without repainting the whole door. It wouldn't be fair. Then I jump on it and install all the stuff.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah, can't wait. My car is in dealer shop now, they scratched a door quite deep when detailing, of course after I signed the papers. Hopefully they repair it without repainting the whole door. It wouldn't be fair. Then I jump on it and install all the stuff.
how deep is the scratch? can you see the primer?
if it's deep enough that your nail will get stuck in it, it might need to be repainted.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it is quite deep. Look.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it is all fixed, they had to repaint the door. Looks brand new and warranty same as dealer. Now the fun part. I did put LED's everywhere, now I have to install ambient and welcome lights, illuminated kick plates and the splash guards. The splash guards make the car look much more sporty. It is lots of wiring so I have to do it one time. They also upgraded software to ver. 1.9, so I can listen Howard Stern and see my stock prices going up. LOL. But still, no text connection with my I phone and still waiting for I touch apps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cool. Enjoy your new ride. I have not had a chance to see a Q with splash guards in person so, still debating on the splash guards. Hopefully, I see one soon.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I'm almost done. Splash guards look good, it needs time and patience to fit nicely. No need to lift the car if you have angle drill. Very helpful. The worst part was to take of mud guards, they tell you to start from the center... the best way is to start from the rear side, then you see how it is attached and the rest is just common sense. Now I'm ready to finish all wires and there is a problem. Wires are too short. For the welcome lightning and for illuminated kick plates as well. I was sitting in the garage, having a beer and looking at it. There is no way to run it without extending the wires. Next thing, the ambient lights not worth the expense. Just a little light underneath. I will see.

Attachments

Reactions: cvipgo

·
Registered
84 Posts
So I'm almost done. Splash guards look good, it needs time and patience to fit nicely. No need to lift the car if you have angle drill. Very helpful. The worst part was to take of mud guards, they tell you to start from the center... the best way is to start from the rear side, then you see how it is attached and the rest is just common sense. Now I'm ready to finish all wires and there is a problem. Wires are too short. For the welcome lightning and for illuminated kick plates as well. I was sitting in the garage, having a beer and looking at it. There is no way to run it without extending the wires. Next thing, the ambient lights not worth the expense. Just a little light underneath. I will see.

misterba. You don't need to extend the wires. Actually I would not advise introducing any additional wires into the electrical system (just a thought). The welcome lighting harness is exact in its length, so if you don't run it along the firewall exactly it will be too short. I thought the same thing. The end of the driver side harness should just pass the center console. The connections should meet under the glove box panel. Make sure your Posi-Tap bundle is correct and your good.

Reactions: StevetheTech

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, the ambient lighting is not worth the install. My personal opinion, it's a waste of money. Thanks for the splash guard shots. I just ordered them from the estore.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks, but I think when I was sealing the wire from the mud guards I had them on the ground and I didn't pull enough wire out before assembly. I was more concern about sealing it to keep moisture out. So I guess I lost about 10" on each side. Next time I'd put some boxes underneath to keep it closer and pull out as much wire out as possible. It is not worth removing now, it is sealed. I might run it under carpet. I wasn't worried about adding 2' of wire, I just didn't want to make more connections. So I will solder it on and use a heat shrink to keep it safe. The kick plates I guess I swapped the sides, wiring is coming out on the rear side of the kick plate. Easy fix but my error. Did anybody think about still lights? I don't want to make it look like a Christmas tree, I was just wondering. This is a new car so it is kind of starting point to adding stuff to that. When I owned my BMW there was tons of options to add or improve, I guess this is ahead of us. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That is a lot of work...what happened to the days of quick plug and play accessories. Well I guess the flip side of that was what my colleagues were doing in the 80s installing complete power window systems and air conditioners in cars...I guess there really is no winning here.

Yes, the ambient lighting is not worth the install
I agree, it takes forever and is a pain, and from my end doesn't pay all that well to do. (we only get a small portion of the labor rate).

A few tips I've picked up.

Spoilers- hands down the best tool for this is 7 PIECE ROTOBROACH CUTTING KIT RB7KIT | Matco Tools I am sure there is set from HD or Lowes but I have no experience with them.
After you drill the hole try your best to remove the drilled out plug section, if they get into the trunk skin they are near impossible to retrieve.

Harnesses for lights- Run them as close to where the book tells you to. I have seen others just lay them in there and you risk having the wires stepped on and pulled or otherwise broken. Even on a 5v circuit you don't want a short to ground.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
StevetheTech - did you see my earlier post with pics on the spoiler? One of my clever techs put a magnetic tool bowl in behind where he was drilling the hole. Served two purposes. It caught the hole plug, plus it kept him from damaging the outer skin from the inside if he pressed through with the drill just a bit too hard. I thought that was pretty clever.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well plug and play was before the manufacturers stopped to pre-wire the cars to save money on wiring. I had 2007 BMW and if I remember well that was the last time if you wanted to add the option there was a connector ready. Now we have to run the harness all the way from the panel. What surprises me the alarm on our cars have no motion detector, is there an option to add it? The wheels are quite nice and from the forum I know it attracts some people to steal them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Steve - did you see my earlier post with pics on the spoiler? One of my clever techs put a magnetic tool bowl in behind where he was drilling the hole. Served two purposes. It caught the hole plug, plus it kept him from damaging the outer skin from the inside if he pressed through with the drill just a bit too hard. I thought that was pretty clever.
I must have missed that post. But using a magnet like that on the backside is a very good idea. I bet they have had to go fishing in the past and found a way to catch the plug and some of the shavings as well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
What's the best way to change the license plate lights. I tried real quick and had some problems to get in there to do it. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure you have to go through the trunk. Remove the liner and you should be able to get in there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.