Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background

When I close the trunk, it slams closed. It feels heavy when I open it. I visited a dealership and compared mine with other Q50s waiting for other services in the dealership garage but they all had the same issue. A brand new Q50 in the showroom was perfectly fine though. The dealership denied warranty coverage because all other cars had the same issue and there was no visual oil leak on the strut. What??? :mad:

We have three options; (1) fight with Nissan Headquarter until they accept warranty coverage. (2) install a spring to assist the strut. (3) replace the strut with aftermarket product.

Some peoples did (2). The springs were strong enough to open the trunk automatically, but it's not commercially available. It takes more time and efforts than (1). (1) is the best option but it will fails again in 2 years. I chose (3) this time.

Material

- 2EA of trunk struts. (search "6802 strut" or "Q50 strut" on amazon or online. gas pressure: 100lb or 450Nm or more) ($20~$49 for 2 with free shipping)(OEM costs $220~$340 plus tax for 2)
- 1EA Flat screw driver. Tip width to be less than 1/8" or 4mm.
- Grease (lithium, silicone, or synthetic)

Prodedure

It's very simple. Remove one, install one. Remove the other, install the other. DO NOT REMOVE both at the same time.

There are many youtube videos "how to replace trunk strut". Even if they are not for Q50, it's the same procedure. For example, youtu.be/GjBqgR9HS-U

1. Lift the circular spring on the end of the strut. It doesn't need to be removed completely.

2. Pull the strut away from the ball joint.

3. Apply grease either on the ball joint or in the socket.

4. Push the bottom end first into the bottom ball joint by hand. (Don't do upper first).

5. Push the upper end into the upper ball joint by hand. The strut is a little longer than the stroke. It's normal. Slightly push the trunk away while pushing the end into the ball.

6. Do the other side as step 1~5.

Result

My Q50 trunk can stay at the following position now. Before replacing the strut, it just slammed down closed. The manufacturer offers limited lifetime warranty but I don't believe anything lifetime. But as long as it lasts more than a year, it's worth the money.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's crazy I was just thinking about doing this! I have another tab open with aftermarket struts lol. Very simple, had to do it with my g37 as well. Thank you for posting.

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
346 Posts
You can check that on the amazon page! Result: "This does not fit your 2016 Infiniti Q50"...

Maybe these are fitting!
Edit: Just put in the 2015 Q50 and got the green checkmark...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Background

When I close the trunk, it slams closed. It feels heavy when I open it. I visited a dealership and compared mine with other Q50s waiting for other services in the dealership garage but they all had the same issue. A brand new Q50 in the showroom was perfectly fine though. The dealership denied warranty coverage because all other cars had the same issue and there was no visual oil leak on the strut. What??? :mad:

We have three options; (1) fight with Nissan Headquarter until they accept warranty coverage. (2) install a spring to assist the strut. (3) replace the strut with aftermarket product.

Some peoples did (2). The springs were strong enough to open the trunk automatically, but it's not commercially available. It takes more time and efforts than (1). (1) is the best option but it will fails again in 2 years. I chose (3) this time.

Material

- 2EA of trunk struts. (search "6802 strut" or "Q50 strut" on amazon or online. gas pressure: 100lb or 450Nm or more) ($20~$49 for 2 with free shipping)(OEM costs $220~$340 plus tax for 2)
- 1EA Flat screw driver. Tip width to be less than 1/8" or 4mm.
- Grease (lithium, silicone, or synthetic)

Prodedure

It's very simple. Remove one, install one. Remove the other, install the other. DO NOT REMOVE both at the same time.

There are many youtube videos "how to replace trunk strut". Even if they are not for Q50, it's the same procedure. For example, youtu.be/GjBqgR9HS-U

1. Lift the circular spring on the end of the strut. It doesn't need to be removed completely.

2. Pull the strut away from the ball joint.

3. Apply grease either on the ball joint or in the socket.

4. Push the bottom end first into the bottom ball joint by hand. (Don't do upper first).

5. Push the upper end into the upper ball joint by hand. The strut is a little longer than the stroke. It's normal. Slightly push the trunk away while pushing the end into the ball.

6. Do the other side as step 1~5.

Result

My Q50 trunk can stay at the following position now. Before replacing the strut, it just slammed down closed. The manufacturer offers limited lifetime warranty but I don't believe anything lifetime. But as long as it lasts more than a year, it's worth the money.

Thanks for the DIY! ordered mine today!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've got a pair of made-in-USA StrongArm struts off eBay for something like $21 each + shipping. That looks like an inexpensive way of improving the stock tailgate operation which has been a nuisance from day one on my 2017 Q50RS. Should get the new struts delivered in a few days and we'll see how they work.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I got my StrongArm struts today. They work great. The trunk lid will stay put wherever I leave it except nearly closed. No more worries about getting banged on the head. I guess after almost four years they should be replaced.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Installed mine yesterday... this is a must do upgrade!!!! Easy and cheap.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I also installed mine yesterday. I ordered the Boxi from Amazon. Very easy to install. I’d added the OEM spoiler to my car earlier this year and the old struts couldn’t bear the weight. It felt like the trunk was an out of control train when closing. New ones, even with the weight of the spoiler, do what the OP’s pic shows, holds the trunk at any point. Cheap and easy!

·
Registered
300 Posts
ordered from the boxi seller on amazon and was sent ones for a 'back glass' 89434-21771 instead of what the product page stated. They are almost 21" long extended.

Took 9 days to get here, waiting now 2 daysd for seller to answer the email I sent.

ugh.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
ordered from the boxi seller on amazon and was sent ones for a 'back glass' 89434-21771 instead of what the product page stated. They are almost 21" long extended.

Took 9 days to get here, waiting now 2 daysd for seller to answer the email I sent.

ugh.
Yeah but, look at all of the money you saved!

·
Registered
31 Posts
New guy here, and hoping it's not taboo to bump an old thread. Just wanna say thanks for the info on the trunk lifts. I wouldn't have known that mine were busted unless I got a loaner from Infiniti. Instead of going through the hassle of getting them to warranty the struts, I went ahead and ordered the BOXI 6802 mentioned here. Not having to deal with potential headaches from the service adviser since "shocks or strut insert" are one of the items that are listed as not covered in the warranty booklet, was well worth the $20.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got me a new set of struts!

It really holds the weight of the trunk but the issue is when opening it I feel that goes little ahead of the limit of the hinges and slams it backward. I am worried that it may wear down the hinges everytime I try to open the trunk.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Got me a new set of struts!

It really holds the weight of the trunk but the issue is when opening it I feel that goes little ahead of the limit of the hinges and slams it backward. I am worried that it may wear down the hinges everytime I try to open the trunk.
No problem like that at all with the StrongArm struts. I guess you DO get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts