Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in for maintenance and the service rep mentioned that my rear brakes are worn down (I'll be reaching out for more details on this), but the front brakes pads/rotors are perfectly fine. I'm driving a Q50 hybrid, which has around 23k miles, most of which were driven with the goal of maximizing mpg (so no heavy braking).

My question (or confusions) lies with the fact that the rear brakes have worn out more quickly than the front brakes. This will be the first time this has ever happened to me in any car. I've done some googling (or Binging, for you Microsoft enthusiasts), and have found some complaints about Q50 brakes in general.

My question: is this a normal wear pattern for the car, or does it suggest another problem with the car?

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
Two issues at work here:

First, the fronts do less work because (I think) the regenerative brakes are in there - they take a bunch of the load off the friction brakes.

Second - does your car have tech package? If so, there seems to be consensus that auto braking function wears brakes faster.

YMMV

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Sinecure thanks for the info. I figured that the regenerative braking could switch things up a bit.

No tech package on the car. I'm solely responsible for braking the car.

On a side note, is 23k ish miles a normal time for a rear brake replacement.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I could be grasping at straws here, but maybe this has something to do with active trace control as well?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the 2014 Q50s Hybrid AWD, the rear brakes will need to be changed at about 25k to 35k miles depending on your driving style...and yes, they do wear out faster than the fronts....

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Factor in that the rear brake pads start out very thin compared to the fronts. The inspection report I get whenever I get the car serviced tells me that I went from "green" to "orange" at about 10K miles. Now at 30K miles and still reported as orange. I think they actually wear slowly but are misinterpreted as needing replacement because they are perpetually thin. I took a look myself when I swapped out the winter tires last week. I can see that I really will need rear brakes soon. Probably at my 42mo./35K mile service. Fronts still have a long way to go.

And yes, as @ThreeBlockWar has stated I believe the Active Trace Control is a contributing factor in their wear.
@Sinecure, I'm pretty sure the regenerative braking is through the rears wheels. On a RWD model how could the front wheels possibly hook up to the electric motor/generator? And to put a separate generator on each of the front wheels would send the costs and unsprung weight through the roof.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nissans and Infinitis new enough to have technology like VDC or even newer Active Trace Control features will go through rear brakes faster because of the individual brake application mandated by the system. This is especially relevant to the Q50 because Active Trace Control is meant to replace the functionality of a limited slip differential, even moreso in RWD models than AWD models, but still applicable to both. The car will apply brakes to correct traction issues it detects even if you don't detect it yourself. The extra use of rear brakes in this system exists even though rear brake hardware is not otherwise upgraded. From a sheer physics standpoint, front brakes are built larger and beefier because when actively braking, the front brakes are doing more of the work than the rear.

This has nothing to do with the regenerative braking features of the hybrid models.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had to do rears at 24K on my 2014 Q50S, rotors were warped all around but front pads were in great shape, never had to do the rears before on any of my Infiniti leases. I think it is pretty lame for Infiniti not to offer the LSD option and instead put in some software code to use up rear brakes and limit performance.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to clarify, is Active Trace Control available on all models. I have a Hybrid with none of the Tech package goodies. (I think my only option over the base Hybrid package was the rubber floor mats).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Have a Hybrid myself, and did the 30K Service not too long ago. Both front and rear brakes were surprisingly still green BUT I always run in personal mode with Active Trace Control OFF. I think ATC is the main culprit for faster wear (especially on the rear brakes).

Also if you're driving in stop and go traffic all the time, mainly city driving or brake hard all the time... all these will wear brakes faster.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just redid mine. I have a '15 RWD and the front we're fine the back we're screeching. I replaced them myself about 2,000 miles ago and the front are perfectly fine. I definitely thought the front would be first to go seeing the weight of the engine was right there on top of them. Rotors looked good all around so hopefully don't have to upgrade to crossdrilled/slotted just yet :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
42,000 miles on my 2014 Sports Hybrid. Probably 2000-4000 miles left is all when I changed them. But they needed to be changed. Fronts still have probably 50% left.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bumping this up! I just had the car in for service today for the brake judder issue and was told they are resurfacing the front rotors under warranty and that the front pads are fine. But he said the rear pads are at 2mm and the rear rotors are completely warped and both need to be replaced. Mind you the car only has 20k miles and is a lease, I'm having trouble believing that the rear rotors and pads are completely cooked at this mileage!

Anyone have luck contacting infiniti corporate regarding the early wear on rear brakes or receiving some good will? If anything I would source the oem parts and have them replaced locally rather then pay the dealership $500 to do this job...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bumping this up! I just had the car in for service today for the brake judder issue and was told they are resurfacing the front rotors under warranty and that the front pads are fine. But he said the rear pads are at 2mm and the rear rotors are completely warped and both need to be replaced. Mind you the car only has 20k miles and is a lease, I'm having trouble believing that the rear rotors and pads are completely cooked at this mileage!

Anyone have luck contacting infiniti corporate regarding the early wear on rear brakes or receiving some good will? If anything I would source the oem parts and have them replaced locally rather then pay the dealership $500 to do this job...
Hi Furry,

I think as the above posts go - the ATC (Active Trace Control) indeed does speed up the wear and tear on the rear brakes. On my previous 2014 Q50, I had to change the rear brakes around 20k as well. I would purchase the brakes from online and then have them installed from a local repair shop rather then Infiniti Service do it, they will charge you an arm and a leg. Definitely not worth it, or if you are technically inclined, you can do it yourself and save the labor cost. It's relatively easy to do.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Hi Furry,

...I would purchase the brakes from online and then have them installed from a local repair shop rather then Infiniti Service do it, they will charge you an arm and a leg....
I'm sure that shop would love to do that. And not charge one cent extra. Do you bring your own food to a restaurant and ask them to cook it for you?

What if those materials that you supplied did not meet your expectations. Would you blame the repair shop? Would they accept the liability?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I took my car in for maintenance and the service rep mentioned that my rear brakes are worn down (I'll be reaching out for more details on this), but the front brakes pads/rotors are perfectly fine. I'm driving a Q50 hybrid, which has around 23k miles, most of which were driven with the goal of maximizing mpg (so no heavy braking).

My question (or confusions) lies with the fact that the rear brakes have worn out more quickly than the front brakes. This will be the first time this has ever happened to me in any car. I've done some googling (or Binging, for you Microsoft enthusiasts), and have found some complaints about Q50 brakes in general.

My question: is this a normal wear pattern for the car, or does it suggest another problem with the car?
I think it has to do with use of the rear brakes to limit slip under accelerations. The rear brake is applied to the slipping wheel to force transfer of torque to the opposite wheel. Not as efficient at a torsen LSD, but it does work after a fashion. But since you have AWD, I could be totally wrong. Either way, many have experienced seemingly premature wear on the rear brakes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had to do rears at 24K on my 2014 Q50S, rotors were warped all around but front pads were in great shape, never had to do the rears before on any of my Infiniti leases. I think it is pretty lame for Infiniti not to offer the LSD option and instead put in some software code to use up rear brakes and limit performance.
how long did you front pads last for? I currently have about 50k miles on them and they dont seem to be wearing much

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a '14 Hybrid with 55K miles and was just told the same thing by my dealer- back brakes are under spec but the fronts are fine. No tech Pkg on mine either.
I hardly ever use the brakes- really- all interstate at 80+ mph, i start to regenerate a mile before exit. (35 MPG w/ summer gas).
$900 bucks for rear brakes??

1 - 20 of 44 Posts