Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, don't laugh. I know they look laughable (and probably are) but I am serious. Do these work? I don't want to do the whole lowering shocks/springs/coilovers with my 50. I've always lowered/slammed my cars but those years are behind me. I would, however, like to lower the rear just a bit to match the front (all stock suspension). A one "finger" drop, say ~3/4". Can these lowering clamps do it? Anyone have any experience with these? Are there any adverse effects like noise or noticeable ride quality, or anything else?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Do the work... Well yes, but they are going to make your car ride like trash and could very well damage your springs.

Engineering Explained did a good video on them a few years back.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lightweight and cheap!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Blow torch works too. Guys in high school, and the army did it.
Shackles baby!!! mid 1970's.

Clamping sorta screws up the rebound and can result in spring/perch issues.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dare I ask what you guys think about cutting off a ('dead'?) coil? :run:

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Seems like a better mouse trap than RSR springs. But why do they have softer spring rate for AWD when it is heaver. If I was going to do it I would want the RWD rates for my AWD. I'd like to ask Z1 why. I would also only like to lower mine less than the AWD springs do. Maybe you can put the RWD springs in a AWD for less lowering and stiffer rates. Worth asking.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
And why does it lower the front 1in and the rear .6in??? I want to lower the rear more than the front to level the car! I don't know if it's just me but I have 3 fingers in the rear and 2 in the front.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/suspension/swift/swift-sport-q50-sedan-lowering-springs-p-14121.html
Because you can add passengers and luggage in the trunk, AND the front mostly has the same weight on the springs. The rear can have considerably more weight hence the less lowering. .4" is not a lot of difference.
The AWD is higher so they lowered it more, but I don't want to. I have 255's so my gap is less already, and I also want stiffer rates. If they fit the RWD springs might be my answer. Good coilovers IMHO are better if they don't lower the car to much.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because you can add passengers and luggage in the trunk, AND the front mostly has the same weight on the springs. The rear can have considerably more weight hence the less lowering. .4" is not a lot of difference.
The AWD is higher so they lowered it more, but I don't want to. I have 255's so my gap is less already, and I also want stiffer rates. If they fit the RWD springs might be my answer. Good coilovers IMHO are better if they don't lower the car to much.
I am up at 12:30am Pacific (as usual - still early for me!) but WTF are you doing up at 3:30am Eastern????

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Check my posts.. A LOT of them are this late. I only get 4 hrs sleep, 5-6 if I'm lucky. I have some nerve damage, CIDP. Many of us in my CPTSD veterans group have peripheral nurothopy (8 out of 10). It keeps me up nights. "Gulf war syndrome"?... but we Viet Nam vets have it too, or so it seems. Good luck getting the VA to service connect that though! 🙄

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check my posts.. A LOT of them are this late. I only get 4 hrs sleep, 5-6 if I'm lucky. I have some nerve damage, CIDP. Many of us in my CPTSD veterans group have peripheral nurothopy (8 out of 10). It keeps me up nights. "Gulf war syndrome"?... but we Viet Nam vets have it too, or so it seems. Good luck getting the VA to service connect that though! 🙄
Sorry to hear. Go get some sleep my friend! I usually go to bed between 2-3am. Up at 7am to be to work at 8am. I mitigate this "damage" by a few after work naps during the week and sleeping until 11am on the weekends (when family plans don't dictate otherwise). I'm a night owl but I also love my sleep. It's a difficult balance! Work and family always seems to get in the way! lol

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
My cat doesn't help much. Lol. He's not even two years old, so is always wanting to play. I live alone and am retired so I can sleep any time if I want. But keep busy and have plenty of commitments during the day. I also do some volunteer work. I skip sleeping often. Something about being "hyper vigilant" and the adrenaline cortisol loop. Just about any little thing wakes me up.

Tinnitus doesn't help much either. The M85 50 cal BMG made my ears bleed. The machine gun on top of my M60A1 tank. The M85 has a shorter barrel than the M2, and a faster cyclic rate of fire so it's wicked LOUD.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My cat doesn't help much. Lol. He's not even two years old, so is always wanting to play. I live alone and am retired so I can sleep any time if I want. But keep busy and have plenty of commitments during the day. I also do some volunteer work. I skip sleeping often. Something about being "hyper vigilant" and the adrenaline cortisol loop. Just about any little thing wakes me up.

Tinnitus doesn't help much either. The M85 50 cal BMG made my ears bleed. The machine gun on top of my M60A1 tank. The M85 has a shorter barrel than the M2, and a faster cyclic rate of fire so it's wicked LOUD.
Thanks for serving your (our) country man!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Seems like a better mouse trap than RSR springs. But why do they have softer spring rate for AWD when it is heaver. If I was going to do it I would want the RWD rates for my AWD. I'd like to ask Z1 why. I would also only like to lower mine less than the AWD springs do. Maybe you can put the RWD springs in a AWD for less lowering and stiffer rates. Worth asking.

Get em and report back. :D

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Although I have installed lowering springs, shocks and coilovers on previous nissan/infiniti cars (maximas, G35s), I have no experience with something like this. I think this his just seems like a terrible idea. Would this not effect the springrate and make the car ride awkardly? Those pipe coupler metal things are not strong enough to hold a spring down. I would advise against this lol.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Get em and report back. :D
>:D

The Mopar guys have been running them for ages on the old Turbo II's .

https://www.allpar.com/eek/coils.html

Some of you are too young to know or remember Gus Mahon (RIP), but he had them on Slugmobile and Mean Mini and they ran like a champ... Granted everything he did was junkyard DIY, but you have to admit the results were impressive for the late 90's...

Mini

>:D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts