Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Germans make EXCELLENT vehicles, I've owned a BMW and a couple Audis in my day, but the germans are very clinical, cold and precise. I feel like german vehicles don't appeal to the senses or to the heart.

I think emotion is a huge part of the shopping process, at the end of the day most people end up with a vehicle that matches their personality weather conscious of it or not, why do you think there are so many Corollas and Camrys scooting around? Boring cars for boring people...

Because Infiniti is a peripheral luxury brand, for now, I think they need to appeal to that sense of emotion in buyers. I'm positive Infiniti can manufacture cars just as well as the Germans but no one has ever won by playing the competitors game.

Here are some quotes from Allen Lu, managing director of Infiniti for Asia and Oceania from an Australian media event:

“We have to create products with substance in terms of the design, the materials, the fit and finish, the craftsmanship, the performance, the engineering, reliability and the overall ownership experience that are … quite frankly … overwhelmingly superior [to our competition].”

“To build a strong brand, we cannot chase volume in the short-term. We are developing a clearly defined and differentiated brand strategy with a culture and a set of values. There is a strong desire for futuristic products with character and personality.”

Those of you with Q50s already is there anything in your experience so far you can share that supports Infiniti appealing to the senses and emotions, rather then the clinical effect of its german rivals?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Germans have had such a long time to develop their brands. Because of this it is hard to see the brands as new. Infiniti is a developed brand, but it isn't so old that it doesn't have room to continue to define itself. This puts Infiniti in a great position to build a new and innovative brand image while still having the reputation of a luxury brand (as opposed to other brands trying to get into luxury segments that don't like Kia.)

Of all the brands trying to match the Germans I think Cadillac and Infiniti are doing th best job at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Those of you with Q50s already is there anything in your experience so far you can share that supports Infiniti appealing to the senses and emotions, rather then the clinical effect of its german rivals?
Everytime I hear the engine growl on my Q50

And this thread blongs int he General Discussion section, not photos.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I can't think of anything more soulless than a 3 Series, they define boredom in design and performance at all but the highest trim levels. The Q50 has personality but I feel they sucked some of the emotion out of it when they smoothed the rough edges out. I'm betting they have a more engaging pair of vehicles in the pipeline that will bring some of the spirit back.

The Lexus IS sounds engaging, but I'm too tall to drive one so I didn't bother with a test drive. It's a different target, different demographic altogether and Ghosn never mentioned it being a competitor, although many buyers may feel differently.

Soul is a tricky thing in automotive design. It's greater than the sum of the parts, more of the experience created by everything working together in harmony, from drivetrain to interior. Remember Audi from a decade ago? Don't be disappointed if you don't, nobody does. It wasn't until DeNysschen stepped in and raised the profile through aggressive redesign that Audi shrugged it's "upgraded VW" moniker. It can be argued that he brought soul to a sterile German marque. Whether he can do the same with Infiniti is anyone's guess, but if the Q50 is any indication, he's off to a good start.

Just please, for the love of God, just don't force a shift to FWD designs. Yes, I know tiny 4cyl transverse engines package well, but Infiniti is known for RWD and it needs to stay that way. And yeah I'm aware that the JX is FWD and the Q30 probably will be too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't think of anything more soulless than a 3 Series, they define boredom in design and performance at all but the highest trim levels. The Q50 has personality but I feel they sucked some of the emotion out of it when they smoothed the rough edges out. I'm betting they have a more engaging pair of vehicles in the pipeline that will bring some of the spirit back.

The Lexus IS sounds engaging, but I'm too tall to drive one so I didn't bother with a test drive. It's a different target, different demographic altogether and Ghosn never mentioned it being a competitor, although many buyers may feel differently.

Soul is a tricky thing in automotive design. It's greater than the sum of the parts, more of the experience created by everything working together in harmony, from drivetrain to interior. Remember Audi from a decade ago? Don't be disappointed if you don't, nobody does. It wasn't until DeNysschen stepped in and raised the profile through aggressive redesign that Audi shrugged it's "upgraded VW" moniker. It can be argued that he brought soul to a sterile German marque. Whether he can do the same with Infiniti is anyone's guess, but if the Q50 is any indication, he's off to a good start.

Just please, for the love of God, just don't force a shift to FWD designs. Yes, I know tiny 4cyl transverse engines package well, but Infiniti is known for RWD and it needs to stay that way. And yeah I'm aware that the JX is FWD and the Q30 probably will be too.
Yea Q30 is going to be FWD, its sharing architecture with MB CLA/GLA. I do remember Audi from 10 years ago and its the reason I havent gone back to Audi since, after my second I couldn't justify owning upscale VWs....

I've been hearing some burbles that Infiniti is looking to add more powerplants to its offerings so that may help give some soul back to Q50. What kind of rough edges are you talking about? Stuff from concept to production or something that was lost from G37 to Q50?

P.S sorry, didnt mean this thread to be in pictures, selected the wrong link by accident. If a mod could move it over greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Rough edges like direct steering, an unruly, thrashy engine with a memorable exhaust note, etc. Basically everything the automotive press harps on until it's removed, then they find new things to complain about. I think alot of these characteristics defined the soul of the G35/G37 and they are missing now.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts

Good sales and happy customers are two different matters.

If Infiniti keeps with the V6. Continues to offer a manual transmission. And keeps their cars RWD and AWD. Though that might not be what the general public wants - its what the enthusiasts want.

I think the new design language of the Q50 will really help alot. It seems to be received well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good sales and happy customers are two different matters.

If Infiniti keeps with the V6. Continues to offer a manual transmission. And keeps their cars RWD and AWD. Though that might not be what the general public wants - its what the enthusiasts want.

I think the new design language of the Q50 will really help alot. It seems to be received well.
Those are good points cfrp. Something I also find interesting is that most auto journos are car enthusiasts and they are a HUGE part of vehicle sales, even the rag tag auto section in every weeks saturday paper is run by hardcore auto enthusiasts..

I agree about the Q50's design language, its one of the most souldful things about the brand right now and I'm fully expecting it to permeate through the entire Infiniti lineup...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lexus has gone off the deep end with its grandpa-mobiles, and Infiniti can position against that as the brand for people who don't want an analog clock in the center of the dash. These are the same people who live someplace other than the Boca Raton Retirement Center.

Now, Infiniti does have to learn how to sell software, and to stop with the vague release dates, and unfulfilled promises. They need some high tech industry marketing expertise, because they've completely botched the InTouch launch.

Additionally, an edgier Japanese lux brand does not mix well with the BS art of traditional car sales. The stories I've read here are appalling. They need to build trust by changing their sales approach, and let Lexus keep the bad suits and slick hair. An Infiniti dealership should not only remind you that you've got a higher than average income for your age, but that you spend less time watching TV than the guys driving down Florida's Turnpike with their left blinker going non stop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.