Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone.

Im in the market for a Q50 3.0T AWD and Im trying to decide between a Q50 Sport and a Q50 Red Sport. Theres a couple thousand dollar difference between the two and I need a little bit of clarification.

Am I going to mod/tune it? Yes, eventually. I've had a few people tell me to save money (4K to 6K), get the Sport and mod it with the money saved. Ive seen the dynos between both modded and theres really no difference.

So... whats the difference between the Sport with the Sport Premium Plus Package VS a Red Sport? Beside the 2 water pumps, tune and turbine speed sensors, whats the REAL difference? Does the Sport Premium Plus package come with DAS? I REALLY dont think I want to NOT be physically connected with the road.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,992 Posts
Depends on which model year you are looking at.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,849 Posts
Black headliner. Nuff said.

Reactions: ridinonrails

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think even non-das is drive by wire?

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,387 Posts
I think even non-das is drive by wire?
I don't think so. It has electrically assisted power steering thus allowing for changeable "feel".

Reactions: u1arunit

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,387 Posts
Black headliner. Nuff said.
I hate my black headliner...I feel like I am in a cave. Our Escape has a black interior with a light headliner and I prefer the look and ambiance much more. Until a grease monkey grabs the A-pillar with dirty hands.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
2016 thru 2018.
The reason this is important is that the 2016-2017 models are packaged a certain way. They changed packages and standard equipment quite a bit with 2018+.

We'll be able to assist with your questions. However, all of the nitty-gritty details are available at the following website by clicking the relevant model year's "specs" link. As you scroll through you will find the differences.

What I can tell you is that for the 2016-2017 years there are very few differences (and they are not meaningful when you are interested in modding/tuning).

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason this is important is that the 2016-2017 models are packaged a certain way. They changed packages and standard equipment quite a bit with 2018+.

We'll be able to assist with your questions. However, all of the nitty-gritty details are available at the following website by clicking the relevant model year's "specs" link. As you scroll through you will find the differences.

What I can tell you is that for the 2016-2017 years there are very few differences (and they are not meaningful when you are interested in modding/tuning).
What website am I looking for?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,992 Posts
For 2016 and 2017, DAS was a stand-alone option on the Sport and Red Sport.

For 2018, DAS was part of the ProACTIVE option package.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For 2016 and 2017, DAS was a stand-alone option on the Sport and Red Sport.

For 2018, DAS was part of the ProACTIVE option package.
So without DAS, do these car have a real steering shaft connected to the rack or are ALL of them "electric"/drive by wire?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,992 Posts
So without DAS, do these car have a real steering shaft connected to the rack or are ALL of them "electric"/drive by wire?
Without DAS, you'll have electronic power steering (EPS). Your steering wheel is directly connected to the steering gear assembly but it also has a power steering torque sensor on that connection. The torque signal is sent to the power steering control module which in turn sends a motor control signal to the EPS motor.

The power steering control module also receives input from the ECM, ABS actuator and electric unit, steering angle sensor, and chassis control module. Combined with the torque sensor signal, the power steering control module takes all the information into account and generates an optimum assist torque signal to the EPS motor according to driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
What website am I looking for?
Sorry about that. I neglected to include the link.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Without DAS, you'll have electronic power steering (EPS). Your steering wheel is directly connected to the steering gear assembly but it also has a power steering torque sensor on that connection. The torque signal is sent to the power steering control module which in turn sends a motor control signal to the EPS motor.

The power steering control module also receives input from the ECM, ABS actuator and electric unit, steering angle sensor, and chassis control module. Combined with the torque sensor signal, the power steering control module takes all the information into account and generates an optimum assist torque signal to the EPS motor according to driving conditions.
Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for. Great to know.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Reactions: Pillboy

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
530 Posts
Btw: Driving DAS now for four years and 50k miles – only one hiccup directly after buying my Q50 (fixed with an Update), from there no problems at all. You need a little time to get familiar, but then...

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Btw: Driving DAS now for four years and 50k miles – only one hiccup directly after buying my Q50 (fixed with an Update), from there no problems at all. You need a little time to get familiar, but then...
OK Bet!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts