Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure a lot of people on here have seen the "meh" to just downright critical reviews the auto mags have given the Q50 and Q50 Hybrid mostly related to the steer-by-wire system. I've noticed the authors complaints have either come from a misuse of the car or subjective stuff like they didn't like the looks. (Yea, because 335is are just so adorable, right?) The Car and Driver reviewer complained about the active lane control being spooky on back country roads. Ok, go figure the manual tells you not to use ALC on poorly painted back country roads! If only he had followed instructions before hating on the car. Granted these guys probably cashier their way through car reviews and don't have time to learn what buttons to push or what modes and settings are supposed to be on or off at whatever time like an owner would. In any case, I urge anyone interested in the car to drive it for yourself and not be discouraged by what the mags tell you to think. If I had listened to Road and Track, I would have bought an IS 350, a great car, but not a car that I want. A Q50 Hybrid is a whole second faster to 60 and gets significantly better mileage, not to mention is just a little better looking IMO. If I had bought an IS 350, I'd be pissed every month I'd have to send in that check. With the Q50S Hybrid, I'm put in a good mood every morning I get in it, even Monday mornings, and I never feel unhappy mailing that monthly check. Unless the mags are making your car payment for you, make sure you're driving what you like.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I've spent considerable amount of time and energy going out test driving nearly a dozen cars these last 18 months--doing my own research, testing the competition out in the real world, in the way that I drive, in the conditions and roads that I'm used to. Those magazines and those videos or the touched-up photos and commercials that you see can only tell you so much.

In every car I've test driven, I've really found something to like about them and to be honest, they're all winners--depending on what you're looking for. This day and age, you can't really go too wrong, especially in this segment.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I agree 100% with the OP. SimTide, thank you so much for being such an informed consumer and posting test drive reviews of all those cars that you experienced while shopping. I learned a lot from those posts. You're right in that all of these cars are excellent. I have a feeling that once the first year bugs are worked out, the Q50 won't have any appreciable weaknesses. The future prospects are exciting! Let's hope that the Au Rouge is the real deal.:cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think that the reviews can be useful to read before you go out on a test drive, but in the end you have to make up your own mind with a test drive. For example, I'll know to pay extra attention to the steering because the reviews have talked about the Q50's steer-by-wire system so much.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I'll add my $.02.

I'm certain that most of the reviewers did NOT benefit from a complete, thorough delivery from someone who truly knows the car. I've seen similar complaints on this forum from users, only to discover further down the thread that their salesperson delivered the car in what I call "three C's" fashion - See the Car, See the Keys, See you later. Journalists are convinced they know everything there is to know already, and don't need some dumb salesperson or PR flack to spend any time showing them how to use and get the most out of the car.

Not that I expect I'd be any different in their shoes, but one thing many of us on this forum have discovered is that having someone show you how everything works adds dramatically to overall satisfaction and value. I feel bad for customers who end up buying from a second-rate salesperson just to save a couple hundred $$. They're going to spend a lot of their valuable time trying to figure out the stuff I could have sorted for them in 5 minutes. Or they're going to curse this, that, or the other "bug" in the car that's actually a feature if they understood it better.

I'm totally convinced that Consumer Reports' so-so review was a result of this. They get their cars from actual dealerships, not from corporate PR. I wish I could have been the salesperson to show them how everything works. I love driving this car and it definitely comes through in my delivery. At my dealership with have 3 (out of 7) people I'd trust to do a top-notch delivery of this car. I bet I couldn't find 3 salespeople at all the other Bay Area dealerships combined that can do as good a job. And our 4 guys who can't do what I consider top-notch are definitely better than 95% of the other people out there.

Decide on this car for yourself - after driving it. Make sure you're dealing with a salesperson who knows their stuff. If they don't, find another one. Seriously.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll add my $.02.

I'm certain that most of the reviewers did NOT benefit from a complete, thorough delivery from someone who truly knows the car. I've seen similar complaints on this forum from users, only to discover further down the thread that their salesperson delivered the car in what I call "three C's" fashion - See the Car, See the Keys, See you later. Journalists are convinced they know everything there is to know already, and don't need some dumb salesperson or PR flack to spend any time showing them how to use and get the most out of the car.

Not that I expect I'd be any different in their shoes, but one thing many of us on this forum have discovered is that having someone show you how everything works adds dramatically to overall satisfaction and value. I feel bad for customers who end up buying from a second-rate salesperson just to save a couple hundred $$. They're going to spend a lot of their valuable time trying to figure out the stuff I could have sorted for them in 5 minutes. Or they're going to curse this, that, or the other "bug" in the car that's actually a feature if they understood it better.

I'm totally convinced that Consumer Reports' so-so review was a result of this. They get their cars from actual dealerships, not from corporate PR. I wish I could have been the salesperson to show them how everything works. I love driving this car and it definitely comes through in my delivery. At my dealership with have 3 (out of 7) people I'd trust to do a top-notch delivery of this car. I bet I couldn't find 3 salespeople at all the other Bay Area dealerships combined that can do as good a job. And our 4 guys who can't do what I consider top-notch are definitely better than 95% of the other people out there.

Decide on this car for yourself - after driving it. Make sure you're dealing with a salesperson who knows their stuff. If they don't, find another one. Seriously.
I think you are totally right. I noticed the active lane control, blind spot intervention, and the forward distance assist were all on during the photos that were taken for the Car & Driver review. It appears the guy may have done his whole test with all that stuff on. I never have that stuff on except for some highway driving. The manual says it's only for well developed roads and good weather conditions. Using it in the city, especially the forward distance assist, it's very intrusive so that's why I leave it off. The guy at Car and Driver just didn't like the car though. It was very obvious from the article and didn't even apparently try to get good acceleration runs out of it because he got 5.1 sec 0-60 and 13.8 1/4 mile. That's what a heavier M35h can do with almost the same power train (the Q50 Hybrid even has a little more torque over the M35h's electric motor) and I (not exactly a professional driver, but good) was able to get 13.4 sec. 1/4 at the drag strip so it's obvious the guy just didn't really give a sh*t about making sure he was getting the best performance (like a full battery.)

I had a really good salesman at West Houston Infiniti and he took time to show me everything. We probably spent almost an hour in the cockpit going over everything.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought my wife a loaded QS a month ago and absolutely love the DAS. I prefer driving her car over my 2012 911.
Wow! High praise! Yea, I like the steer-by-wire. When you drive mechanical after getting used to it suddenly it's mechanical steering that now feels weird and heavy. Incidentally, I managed to get my Q50S Hybrid off a guy that had ordered it, but then ended up going with a 911 instead so I felt pretty happy that the car I ended up with was in the running against a 911.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I bought my wife a loaded QS a month ago and absolutely love the DAS. I prefer driving her car over my 2012 911.
i know the Q50 is a great car, but whats the reason behind that? i mean its a 911 for cryin out loud, PM me lets trade cars i got a fully loaded black black RWD sport ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
i know the Q50 is a great car, but whats the reason behind that? i mean its a 911 for cryin out loud, PM me lets trade cars i got a fully loaded black black RWD sport ;)
Ok,ok. I'm not crazy, the 911 is the most awesome car I'll ever own. While it's credentials speak for themselves, it's boundaries are way over what my head thinks are sane. Everyday driving it is like crop dusting with an F-16.

The Q is like no other car I've driven. I love how the only vibration I feel in the steering wheel comes from the stereo. In a straight line, it doesn't move AT ALL. And I really like the steering wheel, nice touch with the little raised areas.

I think the problem with the magazine's test is they rate every car like it's going to be driven at maximum velocity 100% WFO every time it's used, and if it's not the fastest one, it's junk.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I think the problem with the magazine's test is they rate every car like it's going to be driven at maximum velocity 100% WFO every time it's used, and if it's not the fastest one, it's junk.
???? Motortrend comparison of the Q50 vs the IS350 Fsport. Fsport won even though the Q50 was faster.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
???? Motortrend comparison of the Q50 vs the IS350 Fsport. Fsport won even though the Q50 was faster.
The IS 350 won because they didn't like the lack of feel on winding canyon roads in their test although Motor Trend did note that the car was much more fun on the track (tuned by Sebastian Vettel after all) and "twice as much fun" to toss around the MT figure 8. I think it will take more time for people get used to steer-by-wire and for Infiniti to continue to work on generating some kind of feel. Hopefully the two will meet up sooner rather than later because it's a little heartbreaking reading some of the reviews, although MT I feel has been more open minded than the other mags.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok,ok. I'm not crazy, the 911 is the most awesome car I'll ever own. While it's credentials speak for themselves, it's boundaries are way over what my head thinks are sane. Everyday driving it is like crop dusting with an F-16.

The Q is like no other car I've driven. I love how the only vibration I feel in the steering wheel comes from the stereo. In a straight line, it doesn't move AT ALL. And I really like the steering wheel, nice touch with the little raised areas.

I would love a 911, but if I had one I'd still have my Q50. I agree. I like the steering. In the real world, it's less effort and sharply accurate. I drove an '11 328i coupe today and at low speeds the steering wheel felt like turning a barrel full of water comparatively.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.