Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,928 Posts
Lol, cuz its carbon fiber ?. Maybe some sort of bragging rights?? Hey, if they can afford it why not. I think it's something we all do in some way or another. But I agree, some are led to believe, or think it will make their car faster.

Reactions: RaceCar

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Then again, a lot of people buy stuff they don't really need and/or for wrong reasons,
What do you MEAN these stickers don't add horsepower?!?

I would think the amount of timing you could run on race gas along with 26psi Is going to generate some serious torque. If that's not over the limit it has to be right on the edge. I personally think it would be smart to build the bottom end at that point.
I'm not sure why Nissan would put better rods in the VR30 than the VR38, but the GT-R guys report considerably shortened conrod life at ~600 ft/lb.

Presuming they're the same rods, at best, I'd say that's about the limit. I'd also bet that to hit that, you're going to be modifying the turbos, at least on the cold side.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Based on what? Look, I've only had this car and been on this forum for a month So I haven't had time to read everything I'd like to about these cars, However, I'm assuming they do not have forged rods or pistons. If that assumption is correct, I would think the amount of timing you could run on race gas along with 26psi Is going to generate some serious torque. If that's not over the limit it has to be right on the edge. I personally think it would be smart to build the bottom end at that point.
Feel free to contact AMS yourself like I did but Loring is correct once again (just vomited in my mouth lol) kidding. The blocks are good till 600hp. AMS went 10’s with the stock block, lower downpipes, Heat Exchanger, driveshaft, Intake and a very aggressive tune on race fuel. The key isn’t boost it’s better fuel. Feel free to search the forum they posted what they had I just couldn’t find there specific post right now. Building the bottom end is never a bad idea but if your stock turbos it’s not necessary imo because you can’t generate that much power to need it.

To me the big thing now is fuel. This is why E85 is my next big thing for me personally. It will take me into the 500hp range without doubt. Anything over 550hp on a daily will need a built bottom end but none of us are touching over 550-600hp without upgraded turbos. The bottom end doesn’t need to be built for a track day on race fuel at 500hp. It will definitely on a daily 550-600 or more with bigger turbos. 500-525hp on Race fuel or E85 is maxing out this stock platform but I always recommend going to the source like I do. Dan’s a really cool guy so feel free to shoot him an email at AMS.

[email protected]

Stock Block
https://www.amsperformance.com/first-to-10/

Mods
https://www.amsperformance.com/first-to-10/

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
We all fought about this before. Someone needs to start talking about grounding kits so we can come full circle.

Mod wise, sure, I am with you on what they added. However, take a look at the car when they took it to SEMA. LOTS of weight reduction and a transbrake, etc. Definitely not a daily driver but pretty **** cool just the same.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Feel free to contact AMS yourself like I did but Loring is correct once again (just vomited in my mouth lol) kidding. The blocks are good till 600hp. AMS went 10’s with the stock block, lower downpipes, Heat Exchanger, driveshaft, Intake and a very aggressive tune on race fuel.
Pretty sure they are going 10s with current power - 800. That dyno chart in the link shows 500hp and 600lbft. That isn't going 10s I don't believe.

The key isn’t boost it’s better fuel.
Better fuel allows more boost and more timing. That's the only reason to run better fuel. That's why it's key. If you run better fuel but leave your boost and timing alone, you will gain nothing.

To me the big thing now is fuel. This is why E85 is my next big thing for me personally. It will take me into the 500hp range without doubt. Anything over 550hp on a daily will need a built bottom end but none of us are touching over 550-600hp without upgraded turbos. The bottom end doesn’t need to be built for a track day on race fuel at 500hp. It will definitely on a daily 550-600 or more with bigger turbos. 500-525hp on Race fuel or E85 is maxing out this stock platform but I always recommend going to the source like I do. Dan’s a really cool guy so feel free to shoot him an email at AMS.
You seem to be putting e85 and race fuel on an even playing field. They are not. Based on a few already getting to mid 500s on TQ on e85 and even on 93 at around 20psi, if someone runs c16, and IF the turbos will survive at 26psi, and IF they can keep AITs in check, and a tuner tunes to MBT, the TQ number is gonna start with a 6. I'd bet money on it. Likely well into the 6s and pushing 6 on the hp number as well. I certainly wouldn't push a stock bottom end to those numbers. Gotta be willing to roll the dice on grenading the engine. Seems silly to me. LOTS cheaper to just pull it and build it correctly.

·
Super Moderator
4,071 Posts
LOTS cheaper to just pull it and build it correctly.
Or just buy an RS3, mod it, remove the back seat, and put drag radials on it to get into the 9's... (if you want bragging rights at the drag strip, that is...)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Wow
Reactions: RaceCar

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Pretty sure they are going 10s with current power - 800. That dyno chart in the link shows 500hp and 600lbft. That isn't going 10s I don't believe.

Better fuel allows more boost and more timing. That's the only reason to run better fuel. That's why it's key. If you run better fuel but leave your boost and timing alone, you will gain nothing.

You seem to be putting e85 and race fuel on an even playing field. They are not. Based on a few already getting to mid 500s on TQ on e85 and even on 93 at around 20psi, if someone runs c16, and IF the turbos will survive at 26psi, and IF they can keep AITs in check, and a tuner tunes to MBT, the TQ number is gonna start with a 6. I'd bet money on it. Likely well into the 6s and pushing 6 on the hp number as well. I certainly wouldn't push a stock bottom end to those numbers. Gotta be willing to roll the dice on grenading the engine. Seems silly to me. LOTS cheaper to just pull it and build it correctly.
AMS Says
Just wanted to quickly clarify few things with regards to our Q60. For every 10 second pass, the specifications of the car are as follow:

Stock Engine
Stock Transmission (including torque converter)
Stock Turbochargers
Red Alpha Intake system
Red Alpha Heat Exchanger upgrade ( To be released within the next week )
Red Alpha Downpipes
Red Alpha in-house calibration (EcuTek RaceRom V3 )
Alpha Spec DSS Aluminum 1-piece driveshaft (To be released with the next week for pre-orders)
Suspension is stock
17" M/T Drag radial tires

I also just wanted to clear up any speculations; the car is NOT spraying any nitrous. The car was setup on an aggressive tune as our goal with the car was to be the first vr30 in the 10's. Would we run this aggressive of a tune on a daily basis for the average consumer? No. However with that being said, we did test the health of the engine after multiple passes and multiple dyno pulls with the car set on kill, and shes still healthy!

We will continue to push the limits of the VR30 platform in classic Alpha Performance fashion

The below is why I’m thinking Ethonal is my answer. Been in this game since 2016 by the way. I’m happy to help anyone on anything but trust me your not grenading this block on these turbos unless you run 26psi on 93 pump. I’ve hit 29psi, 26, 25psi all on 93 pump. Cars still ticking but I could be lucky.
E85 Premium on lowers stock exhaust and HPFP (high pressure fuel pump)
https://youtu.be/5MveyGIIe5c
503hp 540tq.

Reactions: styles

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well they haven’t broken into the 9s yet and they have forged internals at this point. So to say every 10 second pass was on that list of all stock parts just isn’t accurate. The info seems to be fuzzy. Wish I knew what and when they changed things and what that resulted in power and ETs. Obviously at some point they decided the stock internals weren’t enough.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
but trust me your not grenading this block on these turbos unless you run 26psi on 93 pump.
Im not talking about grenadine due to detonation from an improper tune. I think tuned to 26psi on c16 will net enough power to bend/break rods.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Well they haven’t broken into the 9s yet and they have forged internals at this point. So to say every 10 second pass was on that list of all stock parts just isn’t accurate. The info seems to be fuzzy. Wish I knew what and when they changed things and what that resulted in power and ETs. Obviously at some point they decided the stock internals weren’t enough.
Nothing fuzzy about it my friend. 10’s with stock block on 500hp. They built the engine and turbos for 800hp. That other video with the E85 proves the stock block and internals are good for 500 hp as well.

800hp
https://youtu.be/HMC_L6LqcQ4

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Or just buy an RS3, mod it, remove the back seat, and put drag radials on it to get into the 9's... (if you want bragging rights at the drag strip, that is...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySNrfkVwsHE

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Well I’m betting that doesn’t have stock internals! Lol. Pretty impressive though. If they could get another 10th off that 60’ theyd really be moving. Now look up some DSM videos. Those guys were going 9s 15 yrs ago in AWD eclipses. I had an autocross awd dsm. Took it to the track once and ran 11.50s on skinny street tires with a bunch of negative camber. Lol.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Nothing fuzzy about it my friend. 10’s with stock block on 500hp. They built the engine and turbos for 800hp. That other video with the E85 proves the stock block and internals are good for 500 hp as well.

800hp
https://youtu.be/HMC_L6LqcQ4
I’m not saying the stock block isn’t good for 500hp. We are talking 26psi on c16 tuned to MBT, right? That’s what the guy in the link says he would need a built bottom end for. I’m saying that is WAY over 500hp.

But I digress. Headed to bed.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
What reason are you presuming people are buying it if not because they believe it will make the car faster?
If any of these make them giggle, they'll buy it [spoiler alert - there's no marketing around weight savings here):

The INFINITI Q60 Red Alpha one piece carbon driveshaft version is manufactured using a new carbon fiber weave that was tested to 6800 lbs of torque! The main difference between the carbon and aluminum driveshaft is that the 3.25″ diameter carbon fiber tube is more torsional than aluminum, therefore it can twist more under load resulting in a smoother transfer of power at launch or between shifts. Aluminum is already much more torsional than steel, (about 15° under load vs about 5° for steel) but carbon fiber can go upwards of 30° to 35°. Carbon fiber is also typically quieter and there is typically a 2-3lb difference in weight which will help acceleration as well. It will be a significant upgrade over the stock 2-piece driveshaft. The one piece drive shafts will make more noise than their stock two piece counterparts.

Benefits
----------------------------
Superior One Piece Design
Aluminum Shaft Manufactured from 3.5″ x .125″ thick wall 6061-T6 Aluminum
Carbon Shaft Measures 3.25″ in Diameter
Rated to 3464 ft lbs of Torque
High Speed Balanced and Rated for over 9000 RPM
Pulse Welded Means Less Heat for a Stronger Shaft
Purpose Built German High Speed CV
High Strength Spline is 6800 ft lb tq Capable
Solid U-joints from Dana/Spicer and without Grease Fittings
Aluminum Shaft Rated to + 800 HP
Carbon Fiber Shaft Rated to + 1000 HP
12 Month Warranty
Regardless, as I said I agree to the article you posted, I agree to what you said that majority of VR30 owners don't even break >500 HP, but I do not agree to assertion you made above. No big deal really, people don't have to agree on everything ;)

What do you MEAN these stickers don't add horsepower?!?
Oh, those stickers are exempted, they do a ton of HP!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
However with that being said, we did test the health of the engine after multiple passes and multiple dyno pulls with the car set on kill, and shes still healthy!
I'm curious what this means. "Test the health" might mean a compression test, or it might mean tearing down the engine for inspection, or anything in between.

Plus, there's still that article that says their 10sec kill mode isn't stock turbos. I'm still curious about that discrepancy.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Don’t worry guys when I go E85 and 500hp I’ll let you know how it works on a daily. This will probably happen in November.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I’m not saying the stock block isn’t good for 500hp. We are talking 26psi on c16 tuned to MBT, right? That’s what the guy in the link says he would need a built bottom end for. I’m saying that is WAY over 500hp.

But I digress. Headed to bed.
Just to clarify the guy in the video goes on in another video to say he’s tuned to 24 and 22psi on 93 pump. 93 pump! Your not making enough power imo with these tiny turbos to blow out this bottom end unless your on a toxic tune. I’ll be E85 and 500 hp in a month or so and I’ll let you know. I’ll always be working on my own 93 pump kill tune with SpecialtyZ and I honestly doubt I’ll be that high on boost but will see. I’m a Safe and Fast guy personally.

Check out the comments to Bullitt78 second 58
https://youtu.be/PQtEj484SOU

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
If any of these make them giggle, they'll buy it [spoiler alert - there's no marketing around weight savings here):
Hmmmm, you must read more closely young padewan

The INFINITI Q60 Red Alpha one piece carbon driveshaft version is manufactured using a new carbon fiber weave that was tested to 6800 lbs of torque! The main difference between the carbon and aluminum driveshaft is that the 3.25″ diameter carbon fiber tube is more torsional than aluminum, therefore it can twist more under load resulting in a smoother transfer of power at launch or between shifts. Aluminum is already much more torsional than steel, (about 15° under load vs about 5° for steel) but carbon fiber can go upwards of 30° to 35°. Carbon fiber is also typically quieter and there is typically a 2-3lb difference in weight which will help acceleration as well. It will be a significant upgrade over the stock 2-piece driveshaft. The one piece drive shafts will make more noise than their stock two piece counterparts.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If anything improves acceleration, no matter how marginal, it can be said that it helps acceleration.

The real question is; is it $1600 worth of improvement?

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
We all fought about this before. Someone needs to start talking about grounding kits so we can come full circle.

Mod wise, sure, I am with you on what they added. However, take a look at the car when they took it to SEMA. LOTS of weight reduction and a transbrake, etc. Definitely not a daily driver but pretty **** cool just the same.
Well technically it's the same transmission, so a grounding kit may actually improve throttle response, shifting and MPG a smidge.... But those were always kind of inconsistent, but hey at the very least you get a bit louder stereo. lol

I'm actually going to pick some up for my G37, had some for my 02 Altima and they made a pretty big difference. Whether or not they will for the G... Well we shall see, 1-2MPG better
is well worth the $120 bucks to try. lol

21 - 40 of 78 Posts