Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well technically it's the same transmission, so a grounding kit may actually improve throttle response, shifting and MPG a smidge.... But those were always kind of inconsistent, but hey at the very least you get a bit louder stereo. lol

I'm actually going to pick some up for my G37, had some for my 02 Altima and they made a pretty big difference. Whether or not they will for the G... Well we shall see, 1-2MPG better
is well worth the $120 bucks to try. lol
You just couldn't resist.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Hmmmm, you must read more closely young padewan

The INFINITI Q60 Red Alpha one piece carbon driveshaft version is manufactured using a new carbon fiber weave that was tested to 6800 lbs of torque! The main difference between the carbon and aluminum driveshaft is that the 3.25″ diameter carbon fiber tube is more torsional than aluminum, therefore it can twist more under load resulting in a smoother transfer of power at launch or between shifts. Aluminum is already much more torsional than steel, (about 15° under load vs about 5° for steel) but carbon fiber can go upwards of 30° to 35°. Carbon fiber is also typically quieter and there is typically a 2-3lb difference in weight which will help acceleration as well. It will be a significant upgrade over the stock 2-piece driveshaft. The one piece drive shafts will make more noise than their stock two piece counterparts.
I knew you will point that out, but why do you think it's not even listed in the benefits if that is truly a benefit they try to market this for so that more people will 'think' it'll make the car go faster? Like they bothered to list down those benefits including warranty but didn't say about weight...conversely, the article you posted talked more about weight savings and very little about durability.

I just don't agree to your sweeping inference about people you never knew their reasons for buying driveshaft to begin with. But don't get me wrong, I still think there will still be folks buying it regardless if they need it or not - just as with any product. But hey, I do not speak for AMS nor own any of their driveshafts.

What reason are you presuming people are buying it if not because they believe it will make the car faster?
I've already said my piece and I think I understood your point fair enough so I'm done with this discussion and will move on.

p.s. it's "padawan" , not padewan

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
You just couldn't resist.
What I thought talking about grounding kits was every Infiniti owners favorite past-time! And no I really couldn't. :)

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Only when you reach the Infiniti required break-in period of 100 Miles.
I think this is going to turn out worse than that time we started talking politics and economic reform... lol

Reactions: Ruxor

·
Registered
10 Posts
drive shaft

If anything improves acceleration, no matter how marginal, it can be said that it helps acceleration.

The real question is; is it $1600 worth of improvement?
That depends how much $1600 is worth to someone.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Has anyone installed a drive shaft yet or does anyone plan on it? Are you guys going to make me buy this so I can get yelled at by whoever over how pointless it is lol. Kidding. If I did I would probably get the aluminum one. I doubt I’ll ever make enough power to need the carbon fiber one or one period?

Reactions: q50adix

·
Registered
253 Posts
Has anyone installed a drive shaft yet or does anyone plan on it? Are you guys going to make me buy this so I can get yelled at by whoever over how pointless it is lol. Kidding. If I did I would probably get the aluminum one. I doubt I’ll ever make enough power to need the carbon fiber one or one period?

I'm gonna get one of each, and cut-out my transmission and driveshaft tunnel so that my passengers can admire it. I'll create a quick change mechanism allowing me to easily install the carbon fiber version when I have my Mercedes/BMW/Audi friends in the car, and quickly swap to the aluminum version when I have my Camaro and Mustang friends in the car. I want to be sure I'm playing to the right socioeconomic class...;)

·
Super Moderator
4,071 Posts
If I did I would probably get the aluminum one. I doubt I’ll ever make enough power to need the carbon fiber one or one period?
Nah, go big(ly) or go home! LOL

Reactions: Ruxor and Bullitt

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I'm gonna get one of each, and cut-out my transmission and driveshaft tunnel so that my passengers can admire it. I'll create a quick change mechanism allowing me to easily install the carbon fiber version when I have my Mercedes/BMW/Audi friends in the car, and quickly swap to the aluminum version when I have my Camaro and Mustang friends in the car. I want to be sure I'm playing to the right socioeconomic class...;)
Well if your going to have 2x you should see if you could graft the GT-R's transaxle and ATESA setup to the Q50, you have an extra drive shaft lying around anyhow. :)

Reactions: GSORS400

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Lexan driveshaft tunnel with LED lights, y0!

Bullitt said:
Are you guys going to make me buy this so I can get yelled at by whoever over how pointless it is
Psst.... Psst hey... Buy this. >:D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Has anyone installed a drive shaft yet or does anyone plan on it?
I had the aluminum driveshaft installed when I dropped my car off at AMS for a tune, lower downpipes, and heat exchanger. Unfortunately, I cannot describe any difference, as I assume the tune and downpipes attribute to most/all of the noise difference--too many variables changed at once.

I do not regret getting, as I always over-build my drivetrains and engines.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts

Just do it! Lol

Reactions: Bullitt

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I had the aluminum driveshaft installed when I dropped my car off at AMS for a tune, lower downpipes, and heat exchanger. Unfortunately, I cannot describe any difference, as I assume the tune and downpipes attribute to most/all of the noise difference--too many variables changed at once.

I do not regret getting, as I always over-build my drivetrains and engines.
Can you share any dyno numbers and at what boost levels were you tuned? Did you keep the stock exhaust and intake?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Can you share any dyno numbers and at what boost levels were you tuned? Did you keep the stock exhaust and intake?
Result: 414.53 whp, 494.00 wtq (graph)
Fuel: 93 Octane
Ambient Temp: ~80º F
Humidity: ~90%
PSI: 21

AMS Intake, AMS Lower Downpipes, Infiniti Helmholtz Axle-back (stock y-pipe and mid-pipe).

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Result: 414.53 whp, 494.00 wtq (graph)
Fuel: 93 Octane
Ambient Temp: ~80º F
Humidity: ~90%
PSI: 21

AMS Intake, AMS Lower Downpipes, Infiniti Helmholtz Axle-back (stock y-pipe and mid-pipe).
Nice signature. Ok so I’m guessing a 2 1/2 catback will probably give you an extra 15-20 hp. Especially since a guy who tuned with ams went 460 hp. I’m very surprised at the levels of boost they are tuning at. Is that target boost or 21 psi at upshift (boost spike)?

https://youtu.be/8cwWgAWwCHU

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ok so I’m guessing a 2 1/2 catback will probably give you an extra 15-20 hp. Especially since a guy who tuned with ams went 460 hp. I’m very surprised at the levels of boost they are tuning at. Is that target boost or 21 psi at upshift (boost spike)?
I was originally planning to go with the GTHaus y-pipe and mid-pipe (assuming they are compatible with AWD--I have seen mixed messages and have not yet verified with GTHaus); however, I am holding off until AMS release their 3.0in cat-back exhaust.

I wish I had good insight into the specifics of my tune; however, I am on a beta release as EcuTek had not seen my ECU Calibration ID before (somehow ...), so I am unable to review any of it or open the tune files. Thankfully, EcuTek was able to turn around a beta software build overnight for AMS because I was on a very, very tight schedule due to a work trip. Unfortunately, they have not released a GA build with my Calibration ID, so I cannot apply an updated tune that AMS provided to hopefully fix a very, very minor throttle thing we noticed.

A data log from a cruise is available at https://datazap.me/u/malmby/alpha-medium?log=0&data=8-9-10-18. (Click and drag to zoom) It appears to be about 17-18 PSI with spikes to 21-22 PSI during upshift (this is with the Alpha - Medium tune; I have not data logged the Alpha - Race tune yet, but I suspect it is very similar PSI numbers.).

Reactions: q50adix and Bullitt

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I was originally planning to go with the GTHaus y-pipe and mid-pipe (assuming they are compatible with AWD--I have seen mixed messages and have not yet verified with GTHaus); however, I am holding off until AMS release their 3.0in cat-back exhaust.

I wish I had good insight into the specifics of my tune; however, I am on a beta release as EcuTek had not seen my ECU Calibration ID before (somehow ...), so I am unable to review any of it or open the tune files. Thankfully, EcuTek was able to turn around a beta software build overnight for AMS because I was on a very, very tight schedule due to a work trip. Unfortunately, they have not released a GA build with my Calibration ID, so I cannot apply an updated tune that AMS provided to hopefully fix a very, very minor throttle thing we noticed.

A data log from a cruise is available at https://datazap.me/u/malmby/alpha-medium?log=0&data=8-9-10-18. (Click and drag to zoom) It appears to be about 17-18 PSI with spikes to 21-22 PSI during upshift (this is with the Alpha - Medium tune; I have not data logged the Alpha - Race tune yet, but I suspect it is very similar PSI numbers.).

Any update on the racerom Ecutek tune. Midwest Hoonigan seems to enjoy his driveshaft. I wonder how much more helpful it will be after my Z1 LSD? I’m pushing 20psi now with spikes to 23psi. On my E20 tune the cars extremely quick.

https://youtu.be/-MnbWFoppxM

·
Registered
392 Posts
Any update on the racerom Ecutek tune.
I have been debating updating my "problem" post, but not much of an update ... AMS and EcuTek were baffled by what could have caused the timing to spiral like it did. I have since reapplied the tune and have been putting very minimal miles on it due to work travel. (Local dyno wanted $500 per pull on the AWD dyno ... so that is absolutely out of the question.)

Right now, I am near the same mileage as the last time the car gave up, so here is hoping I had a fluke and I do not get stranded this week.

Personally, I always overbuild my engines before I push them -- last thing I need is for a forum user to say, "you should be fine until X" only to bend a rod on the track. I do not regret getting the driveshaft, and I plan on getting rods and pistons before I do any major upgrades.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts