Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe AWD
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Even though I’ve been shopping Q50s I thought I would give the new WRX a try. Yes, I know they are very different cars with different consumer targets but a new WRX can be had for a little more than the price of a used Q50.

I had looked at the previous generation WRX a few years ago, and although it was a hoot to drive (especially with the manual transmission), and the handling was amazing, the ride was harsh, the road noise was loud, the interior was crap, and the exterior was ugly (imho). Oh and the infotainment sucked.

Fast forward to today. The exterior is much better looking (seems better in person compared to pics online), though I would still not call it pretty. The interior has greatly improved, though it’s certainly not luxury, and the road noise is now reasonable.

The biggest surprise was how compliant the suspension was, while at the same time, handling amazingly well, and feeling very light and tossable. The Infotainment is better and throw in the available manual tranny and I was left being really tempted…

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I'm sorry, but I think the old and especially this latest generation WRX are ugly. I always imagined they have low quality interiors, but never have sat in one.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe AWD
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry, but I think the old and especially this latest generation WRX are ugly. I always imagined they have low quality interiors, but never have sat in one.
It ain’t pretty, that’s for sure, but it was more engaging and fun to drive than the Q50 I drove.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
As much as I love the Q50, I do wish it was more engaging to drive. I can’t blame you for being tempted by a WRX. I’m tempted by a new GR86, but there’s no way the wife would let me get one lol. I haven’t had the Q for even a year yet.

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD (w/Bose & Nav)
999 Posts
I feel the Q is intentially less engaging to drive (unless you go full aftermarket parts) but I wouldn't pick another daily than the Q or a similar vehicle in its class. Nice balance of power + luxury.

Not personally a fan of the new WRX, especially with the WRX STI laid to rest this generation. If I had to pick a fun car (where I care less about daily-drivability) I would get a GR86.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,360 Posts
Economy car with little practicality...2023 Toyota GR Corolla.

Reactions: jodedor and rpiotro

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,595 Posts
I drove my son's 2021 STI with the manual transmission and the short-throw shifter option. It's ok but it rides like a buckboard and too small for my liking. I did like throwing the manual around though.

·
Registered
954 Posts
i wouldnt get a wrx based on fuel mileage figures alone. not that a sporty type car should get 40mpg but in 2022, its unacceptable to me to see a M6 4wd turbo 4 get less mpg than a 4100lb luxury car with a larger engine, twice the turbos, and 60-130+ whp/tq.

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Registered
411 Posts
I feel the Q is intentially less engaging to drive (unless you go full aftermarket parts) but I wouldn't pick another daily than the Q or a similar vehicle in its class. Nice balance of power + luxury.

Not personally a fan of the new WRX, especially with the WRX STI laid to rest this generation. If I had to pick a fun car (where I care less about daily-drivability) I would get a GR86.
Agreed. Once I did a complete overhaul of my suspension and I got the Infiniti SPL upper control arms for the front, Infinit SPL rear toe arms and camber arms it was now much more e shaving and fun to drive then it was stock. Also it got even better with the the New Swift springs I had installed with the new Oem Infiniti Sports KYB front and rear shocks which are already tuned and dampened for a sporty ride. The biggest plus is that the Direct Adaptive Steering feels so much better and enjoyable that it now has way better cornering abilities, tighter turns and way better steering line stability. Overall this is how is Performance sports sedan is supposed to feel like.

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD (w/Bose & Nav)
999 Posts
Agreed. Once I did a complete overhaul of my suspension and I got the Infiniti SPL upper control arms for the front, Infinit SPL rear toe arms and camber arms it was now much more e shaving and fun to drive then it was stock. Also it got even better with the the New Swift springs I had installed with the new Oem Infiniti Sports KYB front and rear shocks which are already tuned and dampened for a sporty ride. The biggest plus is that the Direct Adaptive Steering feels so much better and enjoyable that it now has way better cornering abilities, tighter turns and way better steering line stability. Overall this is how is Performance sports sedan is supposed to feel like.
Glad to hear. You should add your parts to your signature. Sounds like you have a lot going on!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Glad to hear. You should add your parts to your signature. Sounds like you have a lot going on!
Yeah bro the latest thing I’ve just done is add a Tomei Titanium Mid Y-Pipe yesterday. I’m so happy about this exhaust setup as because I believe I have achieved the perfect exhaust sound there is and people have been loving it. I’ll post more in its own thread later with some videos and sounds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts