Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a 2016 Q50 Hybrid AWD, and being completely new to the vehicle and to tire shopping in general, I thought I would ask the community a few questions. I realize that the ExtremeContact DWS 06 are very well regarded and heavily discussed around these parts and am currently leaning towards replacing the stock Dunlops with them as soon as possible. But before I swap them out, I wanted to make sure whether or not perhaps the PureContact's may be an even better fit for me personally. I am not particularly performance oriented and do not anticipate driving the car exceptionally hard. That said, if the DWS 06 are close to the PureContact in the 'ride comfort' and 'snow handling' categories, I would not turn down the added grip and performance. I realize that this may be a more general Grand Touring vs UHP debate, but was looking for some insight from those who may have used both, or others that can recommend one of these specifically for the 2016 Hybrid AWD. If it helps, I live in the North Eastern US and deal with occasional snow, but mostly city/town driving. Thanks for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,058 Posts
The DWS 06 tires are $4/tire cheaper than the LS at Tirerack for the 245/40R19 size. The LS has a UTOG rating of 700 A A vs. the DWS 06 UTOG rating of 560 AA A. So the DWS 06 will wear a little faster and has a better traction rating than the LS. I haven't driven on PureContact tires but I'm sure satisfied with the DWS 06.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The DWS 06 tires are $4/tire cheaper than the LS at Tirerack for the 245/40R19 size. The LS has a UTOG rating of 700 A A vs. the DWS 06 UTOG rating of 560 AA A. So the DWS 06 will wear a little faster and has a better traction rating than the LS. I haven't driven on PureContact tires but I'm sure satisfied with the DWS 06.
Thanks for that. I am not concerned with the small price variance or wear. When you say better traction, would that be applicable to snow as well? Or mainly dry traction... thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,058 Posts
Thanks for that. I am not concerned with the small price variance or wear. When you say better traction, would that be applicable to snow as well? Or mainly dry traction... thanks.
The UTQG traction grade rates the ability of your tire to stop on wet pavement.

·
Registered
65 Posts
DWS 06 is rated 560 AA (traction) A (temerature) vs PureContact LS at 700 A A.
The Hybrid has a lot of torque - I'd go with the DWS or similar, for better traction.
With my '14 premium hybrid, the traction control was very annoying with the oem 17" run flats (very stiff side wall, no compliance).
I'd guess it's even worse on run flats with the low profile sport model, but maybe countered a bit with the wider tires.
After I switched to DWS06, it has been much better on dry & wet roads.
DWS06 were O.K. with new tread in the snow. I rate them just O.K., because after 1 winter I switched to Hakkapeliitta's,
which are obviously way better in the snow, being a dedicated winter tire.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Had the DWS06 for a little over 2 years and they were a fine tire. But with NJ roads and my apparently inability to see potholes, I got tired of replacing them due to sidewall bubbles. Just made the switch to Michelin PS A/S3+ and I'm completely happy with them. A little stiffer, but the ride feels more solid and responsive compared to the Conti's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Hybrid has a lot of torque - I'd go with the DWS or similar, for better traction.
With my '14 premium hybrid, the traction control was very annoying with the oem 17" run flats (very stiff side wall, no compliance).
I'd guess it's even worse on run flats with the low profile sport model, but maybe countered a bit with the wider tires.
DWS06 were O.K. with new tread in the snow. I rate them just O.K., because after 1 winter I switched to Hakkapeliitta's,
Got it. That is all helpful information. I am going to assume that ride comfort is up to your standards with the DWS 06? Do you think there would be a noticeable difference between them and the PureContact in that regard? (Educated guess will suffice if you have not tried them yourself).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had the DWS06 for a little over 2 years and they were a fine tire. But with NJ roads and my apparently inability to see potholes, I got tired of replacing them due to sidewall bubbles. Just made the switch to Michelin PS A/S3+ and I'm completely happy with them. A little stiffer, but the ride feels more solid and responsive compared to the Conti's.
Most here have described a rather drastic change in ride comfort after switching from the run-flats over to the DWS 06’s. Was that your experience as well?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,058 Posts
I changed the Dumbflop RFTs out and sold them after only 1,200 miles because they are a terrible tire. The DWS 06 tires were a vast improvement over the noise, harsh ride, tramlining, poor wet traction, and hydroplaning I experienced with the Dumbflops. It was worth the cost IMHO.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Do you have AWD like the OP? Not likely to break traction with AWD. Even with >400 torques.

A friend with an Audi A4 has the PureContact LS tires. They are VERY quiet. Not sure if that is due to the car or the tires.

I had DWSes on my G8 GT. Great traction in the dry. Good in the wet. Not so much in snow.

Hakkapelittas! Yup. Have them on my car. They need to be experienced. I shed a tear for those poor souls with mere Blizzaks.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,058 Posts
Do you have AWD like the OP? Not likely to break traction with AWD. Even with >400 torques.

A friend with an Audi A4 has the PureContact LS tires. They are VERY quiet. Not sure if that is due to the car or the tires.

I had DWSes on my G8 GT. Great traction in the dry. Good in the wet. Not so much in snow.

Hakkapelittas! Yup. Have them on my car. They need to be experienced. I shed a tear for those poor souls with mere Blizzaks.
For the LS tires:

"Comfort Ride Technology incorporates an underlay beneath the tread that is designed to isolate the tread from the casing and reduce the amount of perceptible vibration in the cabin."

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good stuff so far. Keep it coming.

I’m still holding out hope that someone on these boards has tried both tires and can provide a comparison. Extra points if both have been used on the same car, but I realize that may be a long shot. The DWS06 obviously seem like a safe bet, but I’m still curious if the PureContact will provide a slightly more comfortable ride with only minor concessions in performance/traction, but if nobody provides a direct head to head comparison, I will just go with the DWS06’s. Seems to be well regarded.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,058 Posts
Don't overthink this. Get the DWS 06 tires and you will be happy. I've put 18K miles on mine and have no complaints.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Most here have described a rather drastic change in ride comfort after switching from the run-flats over to the DWS 06’s. Was that your experience as well?
Definitely. They ride incredibly well compared to the RFT's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't overthink this. Get the DWS 06 tires and you will be happy. I've put 18K miles on mine and have no complaints.
That has been my general inclination. Very reassuring feedback from everyone here. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How is the snow handling and road noise between the DWS06 and Michelin PS A/S3+? You seem like the perfect person to ask because Im in the Detroit area so we have equally crappy roads and weather.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I had both tires (sorta) on my G8 GT. I had the Conti DWS and then the Michelin PS AS2 (not 3+). Take this with a big grain of salt because that was about 8 years ago. Things change.

The DSWes were a pretty good tire in terms of noise, handling, dry and wet traction. The winter performance was just OK. Keep in mind that these are all really three season tires and mainly intended for light snow/plowed roads. The Michelins held a very slight edge in all of those categories. Not a huge difference but noticeable none the less.

The problem I had with the Contis was that after about 18K miles the belts started to shift on two of the tires resulting in vibration. I had them Road Force balanced and they could not get them to spec. I reluctantly tell this story because the Contis enjoy great support here and I have not heard any Q50 owners reporting that problem. The Michelins went almost 35K miles without problems until they just wore out. The G8 was notorious for eating tires. The OEM Eagle GT RSAs fared no better than the Contis.

Having said all that I don't see how you could go wrong with either tire as the people here have only good things to say about them. I just have a personal preference for Michelin because I have never been disappointed. For my summer tires I have Michelin Premiers. Only a little quieter than the Bridgestone RFTs they replaced but heads above in traction and ride.

As I said before I have Hakkapelittas for dedicated winter tires. Awesome. Probably overkill because I am semi-retired and self employed so it is rare that I really have to go anywhere if the weather is bad but the peace of mind is priceless.

·
Registered
660 Posts
How is the snow handling and road noise between the DWS06 and Michelin PS A/S3+? You seem like the perfect person to ask because Im in the Detroit area so we have equally crappy roads and weather.
I haven't really had the chance to really try out the AS3+ yet. At the end of 2018 when I had the DWS06, there was a storm where NJ roads didn't get plowed in time and the highway I was driving on was a mess. While there were plenty of cars and tractor trailers getting stuck on the hills (made a half hour drive turn into 4 hours), I was perfectly fine and if I felt the car slowing, just gave it more throttle and it kept going. Since that storm, the governor has gone more overkill on prepping the roads. I did drive through a milder storm where there was still some snow caked on the roads (both highway and backroads), and the Michelin's were fine going about 40MPH.

What the roads looked like when I had the Conti's: http://instagr.am/p/BqQJN_ZHyd0/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts