Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gone from a 14/15 Q50s to a 17+ RS? Is the suspension any better with the DDS? Is it more sports car or is it still more of a luxury car ride?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes - 'normal' is a softer ride. Convenient at times. 'Sport' is a bit more firm...flatter cornering....etc. Nice to have the best of both worlds.

There are some roads I travel which are very rough - I dropped back to 'normal' tonight on the way home and appreciated the smoother ride.

Prev: 2015 Q50S Current: 2018 Q50RS

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I haven't driven the 2014 - 2015 Q50 before, but I love DDS on my 2017 S. It makes a big difference between the two settings. I'll put it in standard for more of a comfort ride and when I go to sport it is definitely tighter.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
If may put it in another way - my colleague who's been stereotyping all sport-trim vehicles particularly Q50 as they are too stiff for him. Took him for a ride on my Q50 last year and drove purely on Standard mode. He's a believer ever since and now recommending Q50 to any of his friends who's shopping for a sport sedan.

Personally, I'd say it won't do you any miracle but the difference is noticeable.

Reactions: ColterShock

·
Registered
570 Posts
Agreed - the suspension on my RS is much better than my '15 Q50. At times, my first Q would feel a little floaty at highway speeds. However, I went from a premium (not a sport) to an RS. To steal from Toyota marketing...it's more grounded to the ground.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback! The Red Sport is back on the list!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! The Red Sport is back on the list!

I just came from a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit with Air suspension to a 2018 Q50 Redsport.

I can tell you 100% that the Q50 rides just as smooth, if not smoother. Sounds crazy right? I know.

It might have to do with the car being brand new and the Jeep having over 30K miles...Or the air suspension on the jeep being used for raising and lowering for off road use, to normal use, to AERO mode on the highway. I don't think the air suspension on the jeep is used for a luxurious comfortable ride lets say like in an Audi A8 or S class.

I drive in Northern NJ. At this very moment, is probably the worst time of year for potholes. I remember all potholes I encounter on my daily drives but new ones pop up that I don't expect. I hit them occasionally on my run flat tires and it takes those holes like a champ! Barely feel or hear them where as in the jeep with it's acoustic glass, noise cancelling cabin and air suspension with a much beefier tire set up, I would feel it more....feel the pain a bit more if you will. Like I said, it sounds crazy but it's true.

As far as performance. I can't compare. I came from a Grand cherokee but of course the handling is fantastic which is mainly the reason I came back to a sedan. I like to take turns pretty quickly. I felt like I was going to tip over in the Grand cherokee.

Reactions: ColterShock

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just came from a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit with Air suspension to a 2018 Q50 Redsport.

I can tell you 100% that the Q50 rides just as smooth, if not smoother. Sounds crazy right? I know.

It might have to do with the car being brand new and the Jeep having over 30K miles...Or the air suspension on the jeep being used for raising and lowering for off road use, to normal use, to AERO mode on the highway. I don't think the air suspension on the jeep is used for a luxurious comfortable ride lets say like in an Audi A8 or S class.

I drive in Northern NJ. At this very moment, is probably the worst time of year for potholes. I remember all potholes I encounter on my daily drives but new ones pop up that I don't expect. I hit them occasionally on my run flat tires and it takes those holes like a champ! Barely feel or hear them where as in the jeep with it's acoustic glass, noise cancelling cabin and air suspension with a much beefier tire set up, I would feel it more....feel the pain a bit more if you will. Like I said, it sounds crazy but it's true.

As far as performance. I can't compare. I came from a Grand cherokee but of course the handling is fantastic which is mainly the reason I came back to a sedan. I like to take turns pretty quickly. I felt like I was going to tip over in the Grand cherokee.

That’s really interesting. I’m in Pa and was actually considering going to a Summit next and eventually going with a Quadrifoglio as the fun car.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Has anyone gone from a 14/15 Q50s to a 17+ RS? Is the suspension any better with the DDS? Is it more sports car or is it still more of a luxury car ride?

I haven't driven in older one, but I did drive the 2018 along with several other comparable sedans and it is the best blend of everything thus far

In my opinion the redsport is the perfect Grand Touring feel. The BMW M3 was too rough for my daily use, and the redsport is just as firm but Corners flatter than my previous Audi S4.

I agree with others that when you put it in standard mode it is still firm but not harsh in any way, put it in sport mode and it will take corners and bends extremely well

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

I went from a 2014 Q50S Hybrid to a 2018 Q50S Red Sport. Suspension is more refined and has a much better ride. I would not say it is night and day difference but it is noticeable.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,642 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
I haven't noticed much difference between standard, sport and sport+

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,642 Posts
I haven't noticed much difference between standard, sport and sport+
There are only two settings for DDS, Standard and Sport. The Sport and Sport+ driving modes both use the Sport setting for DDS. I would agree that the dampening force difference is subtle though.

Reactions: TDR

·
Registered
601 Posts
There are only two settings for DDS, Standard and Sport. The Sport and Sport+ driving modes both use the Sport setting for DDS. I would agree that the dampening force difference is subtle though.
Thanks for the clarification...I noticed there is a sport inthe settings menu for transmission and steering (mibe does niot have DAS, fwiw)....can't remember if suspension is in there, also.

This is separate from the switch setting on the console...thinking then sport + has to do with throttle response maybe, but seems to better downshift and hold gear longer. Wonder if it's in conjunction with the menu setting I described (like if that one was std, but switch spirt +, if that makes sense)

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,883 Posts
This might be useful.. he also has a very comprehensive video on our DDS.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
On the right road conditions, you can feel the difference with DDS. It is a difference, albeit subtle though. I find it to be a nice feature that offers more comfort when needed. Most of the time I drive in Sport with the suspension.

Reactions: TDR

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,642 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts