Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was just wondering if dyno Tuning alone would be good to run on or would being e tuned then dyno tuned Be a better option I heard running only dyno tuned might make the car run rough in real life driving situations but I also heard that tuners are able to dial all that stuff in when dynoing it.

Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
Both. Dyno tune is excellent, but you don't drive on a dyno. 馃槈 It's good to do some "on road" logs and tweak your tune a few times. It's not a one shot deal to get it just right. You dial it in over a few times.

Super Moderator
My Ecutek road tune with Seb @ SpecialtyZ produced 437 WHP & 502 WTQ (1.3 bar map) on a DynoJet AWD dyno w/93 octane pump gas. Since Seb doesn't have access to an AWD dyno in SoCal, my Q was dyno'd about a month after the tune.

Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
My Ecutek road tune with Seb @ SpecialtyZ produced 437 WHP & 502 WTQ (1.3 bar map) on a DynoJet AWD dyno w/93 octane pump gas. Since Seb doesn't have access to an AWD dyno in SoCal, my Q was dyno'd about a month after the tune.
I wish I had gotten those #'s. No clue why my tune was so "soft".

Have you driven your car w/o the exhaust on to wake up your neighborhood yet?

I would have been tempted to at least start it to see how it sounded. But the downpipes would be unsupported, so probably a bad idea.

Administrator
Newport, Oregon
I wish I had gotten those #'s. No clue why my tune was so "soft".

Have you driven your car w/o the exhaust on to wake up your neighborhood yet?

I would have been tempted to at least start it to see how it sounded. But the downpipes would be unsupported, so probably a bad idea.
I remember years ago when I was driving my 68 Camaro with dual exhausts, I accidently went over a curb in a parking lot and tore off both mufflers. Driving it home with a 400 cubic inch small block V-8 and no mufflers was not for the faint of heart. Just straight pipes from the headers and boy was it loud!

Registered
Hey I was just wondering if dyno Tuning alone would be good to run on or would being e tuned then dyno tuned Be a better option I heard running only dyno tuned might make the car run rough in real life driving situations but I also heard that tuners are able to dial all that stuff in when dynoing it.
Once upon a time e-tune was the shady cheap approach that encompassed little more than a canned tune that was shoddily put together, and only Dyno tunes were trustworthy as then ensured you got to see the numbers, ensured the tuner at least owned a real shop, and would quickly identify any issues before catastrophic failure. Almost 100% of anti e-tune sentiment is a carry over from this time.

In modern days, e-tuning with a reputable tuner is the way to go. I've gotten over a dozen tweaks over a year with my tuner, gotten data from city and highway driving, winter and summer temps, adjustments to minor changes on the car, etc. The amount of data e-tuning works with compared to a 30 minute stint on a dyno is overwhelming. Dyno's are still great for initial tunes, and to check your numbers, but e-tuning has way more advantages if you have to choose one.

Registered
This is almost entirely because new platforms have factory wideband sensors and run closed loop full time.

Registered
2018 Infiniti Q60 SS
Both are great, but the car should be tuned the way it will be driven. The dyno "simulates" load but doesn't factor in things like wind resistance and ram air among other things. You will be able to get close, but it won't be as accurate as a street tune. I always take a car out on the street and make a pull after I get off the dyno just to verify air fuel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.