Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of y’all know my Q60 set up. essentially everything AMS offers except pistons and rods.
I have the HPFP installed already. I was not anticipating e85 at the time. Hell, i hardly knew what it was. i am not a gear head. just an older guy doing what he could not at 18. Bottom line is i bought the lpfp and e85 kit from ams. NOW, i understand that i’d damned well better get fuel injectors designed for e85.
now to a couple questions. Should i even do e-85? Believe it or not this is an older retired guys daily driver. but i like the idea of driving today’s 1969 GTO Judge (young’uns look it up). If it is a pain or will damage the car i will not do it. i don’t mind eating the cost of the lpfp and e85 kit and I won’t buy the injectors. OR, does the state of the art now allow this to be easily and safely (for the car/engine) done? Buying the injectors is not a problem. Of course, i know my AMS ECUTEC tune needs to be redone if i do e85.

I have had zero problems to date and push very good numbers due to the full hi flo dp’s, hpfp and all other mods. should i just stop? Is it too risky to go for it ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Personally I wouldn’t do it. Looking at your signature you’ve covered all the bolt-ons and I bet your car is a blast as is on 93. I’d opt to enjoy it as is. And if you still “need” more I’d lean towards an upgraded turbo kit. You’d make more power, more reliably on 93 octane, but more importantly you’d have a better power curve not losing as much at redline.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
E85 issues I've read about here and in other forums have convinced me that isn't a direction I would go in. We each have to decide the level of risk we are willing to take when modifying an engine. As AlexC observed, you already have all the goodies you need for a rocket sled. Given the limitations of the existing turbos, upgrading them and staying with 93 octane gas would be superior to mucking around with E85 IMHO. You said yourself your car is a daily driver so if you want better reliability and more power than you currently have, I'd say bigger turbos > E85.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
As others have said going bigger turbos is the better route simply for reliability sake, the larger turbos will also provide much more headroom where as E85 does not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all so much for your considered replies. i do believe i will skip the e85 and leave as is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The problem with e85 is it eats rubber, with e85 compatible injectors your car will be perfectly safe, especially since e85 is a better fuel for higher hp cars since its prone to knocking

·
Registered
997 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes but price of new turbos installed vs E85 cost is a big difference as of 1/2/2020 . With Flex fuel sensor you can run E85 and dump 93 in at the same time, it is convenient. I think you would gain min. 50WHP/60TQ .

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
No such thing as E85 injectors... you run bigger injectors for more fuel flow..

E85 by itself is not corrosive!! its Water that cause's corrosion!

I would have to disagree with your statement that E85 is not corrosive. Aluminum will react with E85, specifically if the water content is BELOW 0.2%. It is called alcoholate corrosion or "dry corrosion". Ethanol reacts with aluminum to form alcoholates (also called alkoxides or ethoxides). The alcoholates can then either be hydrolyzed to form aluminum hydroxide or decomposed to aluminum oxide, especially at elevated temperatures. Pitting and general surface corrosion can be the result of this alcoholate corrosion. If the water content of the ethanol/gas mixture goes up then alcoholate corrosion will decrease.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just to throw some more variables into this - How would WMI (50/50) injection affect the above analysis (better / worse / negligible impact?)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just to throw some more variables into this - How would WMI (50/50) injection affect the above analysis (better / worse / negligible impact?)
Water/Methanol increases octane, also reduces need for larger fuel pumps as its being injected into intake. Methanol eats aluminum but mixed with water its non corrosive its a good option and the water reduces temps.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Based on what I've read about MEOH and elastomeric compounds, it would be wise to stay at 30% or less MEOH.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Many of y’all know my Q60 set up. essentially everything AMS offers except pistons and rods.
I have the HPFP installed already. I was not anticipating e85 at the time. Hell, i hardly knew what it was. i am not a gear head. just an older guy doing what he could not at 18. Bottom line is i bought the lpfp and e85 kit from ams. NOW, i understand that i’d damned well better get fuel injectors designed for e85.
now to a couple questions. Should i even do e-85? Believe it or not this is an older retired guys daily driver. but i like the idea of driving today’s 1969 GTO Judge (young’uns look it up). If it is a pain or will damage the car i will not do it. i don’t mind eating the cost of the lpfp and e85 kit and I won’t buy the injectors. OR, does the state of the art now allow this to be easily and safely (for the car/engine) done? Buying the injectors is not a problem. Of course, i know my AMS ECUTEC tune needs to be redone if i do e85.

I have had zero problems to date and push very good numbers due to the full hi flo dp’s, hpfp and all other mods. should i just stop? Is it too risky to go for it ?
Hi,
the stock injectors can not handle full e85. Most you can do is e45-50 and use some fuel conditioner/ lubricant. If you want, get the flex fuel upgrade so the fuel system will automatically adjust content Then you can mix e85 with 93.
hope this helps
good luck

·
Registered
84 Posts
Related question - Infiniti says no fuel additives; however IF one is running a high E content fuel, would a fuel lubricant (KL-107 for example) be something to consider?

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Related question - Infiniti says no fuel additives; however IF one is running a high E content fuel, would a fuel lubricant (KL-107 for example) be something to consider?
I'm not sure why you are concerned about Infiniti's position on fuel additives if you're burning a high percentage of ETOH in your gas. While Infiniti says not to use additives, they don't say they will adversely impact your warranty. Infiniti is pretty explicit about not warrantying any damages caused by burning >15% ETOH gas.

Warranty aside, you need to compensate for E85's lack of lubricity by adding the Klotz product you mentioned or an equivalent to provide protection from wear.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So what is the verdict? Can our cars run stock injectors with 100% E-85? Or are we waiting for someone to come out with E-85 compatible injectors? Do the stock injectors run out of room for High HP numbers?

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
So what is the verdict? Can our cars run stock injectors with 100% E-85? Or are we waiting for someone to come out with E-85 compatible injectors? Do the stock injectors run out of room for High HP numbers?
It's my understanding that E85 and stock injectors is not a good idea. You need larger injectors for the additional amount of fuel you'll be spraying into the cylinders. I think stock injectors can be susceptible to sticking open on E85 and that's really bad for your engine. I have no first-hand E85 experience so hopefully others here who have will give you a better answer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Stock injectors can not handle full bore e85. I don’t care what AMS and Nostrum say, and I wish they were more honest and transparent about the issue. Even cars tuned by AMS had injector failure so their argument that is the tune is bogus at best. Infiniti cut corners and these injectors are part of it. I feel that these injectors can barely handle 93 pump gas. I’m not sure why, but ethanol has a drying effect and I suppose that could be part of it. I never heard of injectors getting stuck open as much as I hear with Infiniti and I used to work in automotive industry.

Nostrum through AMS are coming out with new injectors soon. I hope they work better than stock, but judging how long it took for Nostrum to come up with these injectors I will wait to hear from ppl who installs them to see how they hold up. I’m pretty sure AMS on their alpha car has some kind of port injection and is not running on stock injectors at 800 hp or whatever they claim.
From my experience with running full e85 the injectors don’t run out of room, they get stock open because for whatever reason full e85 ethanol makes them crap out. I’ve used fuel lubricant and I keep it to e50 with no issues so far. I also backed off the tune how long in duration I let the injectors stay open. So far car runs ok even under heavy acceleration.
I wish I had better news lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts