Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Stock injectors can not handle full bore e85. I don’t care what AMS and Nostrum say, and I wish they were more honest and transparent about the issue. [...] I feel that these injectors can barely handle 93 pump gas.
We have seen multiple vehicles in the community have injectors fail on pump gas, so the OEM fuel injectors are definitely a problem.

Nostrum through AMS are coming out with new injectors soon. I hope they work better than stock, but judging how long it took for Nostrum to come up with these injectors I will wait to hear from ppl who installs them to see how they hold up.
Based on their live Q&A the other day, the fuel injectors should be for sale in one or two months; they are still testing them (AMS is meticulous with their testing, and they spend significantly more time testing products before release than anyone else in the industry).

I’m pretty sure AMS on their alpha car has some kind of port injection and is not running on stock injectors at 800 hp or whatever they claim.
Pretty darn sure that AMS' leaderboard leading dyno run was a hero tune on pump gas or a 100+ octane mixture; I do not think they were experimenting with ethanol at that point, but maybe they ran an ethanol mix for a pull or two. Their Q60 has the stock direct injection setup, no port injection modifications last I saw it (which was after their hero run; when I last saw it they were finalizing testing of their FlexFuel kit on it). In fact, their leading dyno run was on stock fuel injectors -- fine for a few dyno runs, but how long with it hold up on the street like that?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
In fact, their leading dyno run was on stock fuel injectors -- fine for a few dyno runs, but how long with it hold up on the street like that?
Not long - just ask Enthusiast POV on YT. He did all the upgrades (both pumps and flexi-fuel kit) except FI, and went through two engines, and then de-modded his car for sale to get a GT-R.

I think the biggest issue with E-85 is its lack of lubricity - the stock fuel injectors are not designed to run in low-lubricity fuel, and thus when run in a hot environment of an engine at operating temperature with E-85, the injectors are prone to stick. If a single injector sticks open, raw fuel get dumped in the cylinder and engine can hydro-lock. Game over.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not long - just ask Enthusiast POV on YT. He did all the upgrades (both pumps and flexi-fuel kit) except FI, and went through two engines, and then de-modded his car for sale to get a GT-R.

I think the biggest issue with E-85 is its lack of lubricity - the stock fuel injectors are not designed to run in low-lubricity fuel, and thus when run in a hot environment of an engine at operating temperature with E-85, the injectors are prone to stick. If a single injector sticks open, raw fuel get dumped in the cylinder and engine can hydro-lock. Game over.
Had it happen with 93 no E85 except for the 10% comes in base fuel. Car is tuned with ldps and catback upgraded in tank fuel pump. I believe the stock injectors are lynch pin on are setup especially when tuned or piggy backed and when you add more ethanol even more problems. With that said I bought Enthusiast Flex fuel senor kit lol waiting on injectors then I'll get the pump and send it. I'm in a long term position with the platform I need one more year as DD with the car then I will get new dd and start to push it. For I stick with stock turbos, stock bottom end hopefully e85 when injectors come out!

·
Registered
172 Posts
We have seen multiple vehicles in the community have injectors fail on pump gas, so the OEM fuel injectors are definitely a problem.

Based on their live Q&A the other day, the fuel injectors should be for sale in one or two months; they are still testing them (AMS is meticulous with their testing, and they spend significantly more time testing products before release than anyone else in the industry).

Pretty darn sure that AMS' leaderboard leading dyno run was a hero tune on pump gas or a 100+ octane mixture; I do not think they were experimenting with ethanol at that point, but maybe they ran an ethanol mix for a pull or two. Their Q60 has the stock direct injection setup, no port injection modifications last I saw it (which was after their hero run; when I last saw it they were finalizing testing of their FlexFuel kit on it). In fact, their leading dyno run was on stock fuel injectors -- fine for a few dyno runs, but how long with it hold up on the street like that?
Since you seem to have seen their car, what exactly is their set up to produce 800 hp? Just 100 octane gas?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Since you seem to have seen their car, what exactly is their set up to produce 800 hp? Just 100 octane gas?
They change around the build of their Q60 often, as they are testing new components. The 800+ whp pull they did was on stock turbos, upgraded rods and pistons, and their usual bolt-ons with a very aggressive tune. Trying to think of timeline in my head, as I am too lazy to look back at timestamps, but I think the car may have even had stock fuel system at the time. After that dyno run, they pulled the tune back to less than 600 whp and did their 10x 10-second quarter mile runs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They change around the build of their Q60 often, as they are testing new components. The 800+ whp pull they did was on stock turbos, upgraded rods and pistons, and their usual bolt-ons with a very aggressive tune. Trying to think of timeline in my head, as I am too lazy to look back at timestamps, but I think the car may have even had stock fuel system at the time. After that dyno run, they pulled the tune back to less than 600 whp and did their 10x 10-second quarter mile runs.
No way stock turbos did 800whp they don't have enough CFM and the stock turbos AR is not even close... I think they are using G25-550 871389-5004S with exhaust manifolds to get to 800whp but theses turbos have plenty of room to go north 1000whp and supposedly will spool up quick. Stock turbos are good to 500whp but whp is rpm limited around 5k because they are out of efficiency island at that boost level. That's why when have affordable turbo upgrades not just modified stock turbos(which is not a bad option but cost for upgraded wheel and install not worth it to me) even on stock bottom end probably put 600 whp down safely just at higher RPM using wastegate to trim in power up top... Biggest limitations after 450 whp is fuel 1st then turbo size second.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No way stock turbos did 800whp they don't have enough CFM and the stock turbos AR is not even close..
You are correct; I was mixing up different events in the timeline. Spent a minute to dig up:
With turbos from AMSTurbo.com we’re using a prototype Garrett GTX-based twin turbo system on the car, which mounts directly to the cylinder heads.

·
Registered
172 Posts
No way stock turbos did 800whp they don't have enough CFM and the stock turbos AR is not even close... I think they are using G25-550 871389-5004S with exhaust manifolds to get to 800whp but theses turbos have plenty of room to go north 1000whp and supposedly will spool up quick. Stock turbos are good to 500whp but whp is rpm limited around 5k because they are out of efficiency island at that boost level. That's why when have affordable turbo upgrades not just modified stock turbos(which is not a bad option but cost for upgraded wheel and install not worth it to me) even on stock bottom end probably put 600 whp down safely just at higher RPM using wastegate to trim in power up top... Biggest limitations after 450 whp is fuel 1st then turbo size second.
You spot on, stock turbo and injectors good for about 500whp, more like 475whp if you ask me. I would say their Q 60 has rods and pistons, Garrett turbos, completely different fuel system perhaps port injectors added to stock rail or modded fuel rail and injectors. Modded trans for sure as well.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts