Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bet is that it will be a hybrid with a de-tuned 3.7 or 3.8 liter, twin-turbo charged engine from the GT-R making between 550 to 600 hp. What's your bet?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
550 seems like a bit too much, im thinking it'll be either turbo or twin turbo making 420+

·
Registered
407 Posts
My bet is that it will be a hybrid with a de-tuned 3.7 or 3.8 liter, twin-turbo charged engine from the GT-R making between 550 to 600 hp. What's your bet?
There were rumors of the Q60 having this much horsepower, seems even more possible now. seems like they'll be using this engine in the Q50 and next gen Q60

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts

Considering the segment it will compete in....I'm thinking 440-480 hp range. I want to think they will go with 2007-2010 GTR VR38DETT engines that produced around 480 hp (I think it will be de-tuned as well).

I recall (an article from 2012) de Nysschen saying that the performance Q50's (then, G37) engine was being built along side the GTR. That article was speaking of the 550hp aspiration Infiniti has; I am more reserved in thought, that will be for one of the up market Q's.

The Q50 (and possibly Q60) Eau Rouge has to compete with M3/M4, RS4/RS5, and Lexus ISF/RCF- those cars are in the 420-480hp range.

By the way....nice run against the Boxter...:D

What doesn't get talked about much is the Q50's 70-130 mph time...it literally crushes the segment. This car and the G is hard to tangle with from 4000rpms.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I'm calling a twin turbo 3.0L V6 based off Johan de Nysschen mentioning such an engine in the letter written to address the uproar of the name changes.

If not that, maybe a V8, probably an updated version of the 5.0L in the FX50/QX70 5.0. Sure they can massage it to get more than the current 390hp up into the 420-450hp range. And the only reason I'm considering a V8 as an option is because of the noticeable bulge in the hood in the profile shot.

From a business standpoint, I always wondered how the FX got its own V8 that is not shared with any other Nissan or Infiniti, especially since its a low volume product. Def think they would consider monetizing that V8 by putting in a car like this.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
I'm calling a twin turbo 3.0L V6 based off Johan de Nysschen mentioning such an engine in the letter written to address the uproar of the name changes.

Good call...

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
I'm going to weigh in and say no to the VR38DETT. Nissan/Infiniti has said they are going the Hybrid route with their performance cars like Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura. There is a chance of maybe a turbo hybrid but for the power goals in the segment they are competing in, they don't necessary need them. I am interested to see what they release but I'm almost positive it will be a performance hybrid system of some sort.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm curious to see where Eau Rouge ends up. Being a month in on a 24 month lease, the only thing that will likely keep me in a Q50 when the lease ends is a high performance model. Don't get me wrong, I've really liked the Q50S so far (sans a few tech glitches in the interface), but I know I'll want "more" in terms of power and handling by that point in time. Hopefully they come through with something special, not something slightly different and simply marketed as "special".

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Too bad that's not going to happen.

Less than 400hp is my prediction.
That would be pointless and there has already been press on this from the company President.

"As for what's lurking underhood this Detroit Auto Show star, that may be as much a theoretical at this point as anything else, but Infiniti president Johan de Nysschen offers a hint: "If we built this car I would expect it to feature over 500 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque," power arrived at via "a big personality, V-cylinder engine with forced induction.""

Big personality v? There's one ready in the M56, throw a turbo or supercharger on it and there's your 500hp/600lb/ft engine. Since the M56's engine already makes 420 horsepower, even a small supercharger could get the job done without killing fuel efficiency.

From another interview: "Options include tweaking Infiniti’s current 5.6L V-8, which de Nysschen says could coax out the needed torque with a little development. There’s also the possibility of bolting twin turbos to the Q50’s 3.7L V-6 in order to meet the Eau Rouge’s power demands.

Alliance partners Renault and Daimler could be performance-powertrain hunting grounds for Infiniti."

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
When are we going to get a Vietnamese member here to claim the username "Pho Rouge"?

Reactions: Team_STILLEN

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Now the Infiniti has shown this concept all the Infiniti fans are going to be hoping and hoping forever...

I have a feeling they will never make anything like this...

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Performance cars are really starting to make a come back these days. I think with the Market looking the way it does there is a good chance for this. Toyota in bringing out the FT1 (Supra successor). They said back in the mid 2000's that they weren't going to do anything like that again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.