Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It looks like it has orange peel on the close up rear window part and you can see the chrome under the top rear window, it doesn't look like it fits correctly. . I'd avoid and just have a professional do it. You pay for what you get.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Doesnt look horrible, and it may work for the price. I would agree though to do it right and wrap with vinyl that can be cut to fit versus trying to hope for it to cover. With those kits I am not sure if they leave much room for error, and you may have a piece or two that doesnt fully cover, which leaves you with a sub par wrap. For the price point you could try it and then remove if it doesnt look good, but at the same time that could be put towards a good wrap job as well. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I’ll give it a try and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I return it if it sucks.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,105 Posts
The bummer with getting pre-cut pieces as opposed to a sheet that you cut is you only get one shot. If you mess up a piece, you can't cut a new one. Unless you're really experienced at this, it takes most of us a few attempts to get it perfect. Good luck, keep us updated.

Reactions: u1arunit

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The bummer with getting pre-cut pieces as opposed to a sheet that you cut is you only get one shot. If you mess up a piece, you can't cut a new one. Unless you're really experienced at this, it takes most of us a few attempts to get it perfect. Good luck, keep us updated.
I was thinking the same thing. I'd probably mess up the last piece. lol

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I decided to go ahead and purchase this kit and I’m very impressed with it. The vinyl is Avery Dimmenson and good quality. So far, I’ve only done the driver’s side and it’s been fairly easy to do. The kit came with everything pictured and the strips are a bit wider and longer than needed so you can wrap it around the top part of the chrome and tuck it in at the bottom. The driver's side took me about an hour, so I expect the same for the passenger side.

Since I’m not a fan of chrome, I’ve already replaced the front grill as well (super easy) and thinking what to do with the trunk chrome trim. I may grab a sheet of gloss back and wrap them myself. Not sure if it would look right, but that’s the beauty of wrapping.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,105 Posts
Nice, thanks for the follow-up GB05.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,275 Posts
I love the chrome (actually polished stainless steel) flourish on the C-pillar. One of the best styling cues on the car along with the character crease in the same pillar. It now disappears into the window tint. To each their own.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 RS400 RWD
43 Posts
Looks nice. Great job.

Reactions: GotBoost05

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,105 Posts
I love the chrome (actually polished stainless steel) flourish on the C-pillar. One of the best styling cues on the car along with the character crease in the same pillar. It now disappears into the window tint. To each their own.
The Swoosh on our C-Pillar is definitely one of our cars' more handsome distinguishing features. But chrome has no place on a modern car. Not even emblems (IMHO). If you black out the window trim without tinted windows, I think you still have the swoosh distinction (unless you have a black car). If you have dark window tint and you black out your window trim, yeah, some/most of the swoosh doesn't pop out as much any more. You can still see the general shape of the swoosh where it meets the body but not the stand-alone shape of the swoosh. Same thing would happen if you painted your window trim body color (I haven't seen this done yet?). I wanted dark windows, swoosh distinction, and no chrome.... so I painted mine gunmetal. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks OP, I've been considering this myself.
You’re welcome. Total process (prep, apply, trimming as needing, tucking, etc.) took about and hour. Slow and steady is all it takes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Did this on my g37 n plan on doing it on my q50. My advice is watch some YouTube videos n order a 5x3 sheet which would cost you maybe 40 bucks. Also did my interior, now one thing to notice is certain brands use different finishes l, for example the 3m gloss black finish is very orange peel finish but avery still has an orange peel but nothing like 3m.
Also did everything that was chrome in black vinyl

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,105 Posts
I don’t notice any orange peel. It’s very smooth.
This pic seems to have orange peal on the C-pillar, no? Did it later smooth out?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts