Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the eco drive mode change how the vehicle's electric motor runs? (more often since power isn't priority)

I also heard when you drive the car little too hard, the ECO light is supposed to turn orange (or flash?) and the pedal is supposed to get harder. It's something you set through the car's settings, but I don't see it there as the youtube video suggested.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I tried ECO mode for 2-3 minutes.
My impression was it just kills the gas pedal.
Like you can press the pedal hard and at some point it stops doing much of anything.

Maybe someone with more experience can comment.

·
Registered
151 Posts
On the hybrid, I have found Eco mode to be pretty much useless. Kills the pedal and I actually get better MPG in standard and sport (in fact, I think sport gives the best MPG in the city but standard on the highway).

However on the 3.7 loaner I have right now, Eco is thoroughly usable. The acceleration on he 3.7 is really eager compared to the hybrid... not faster, just REALLY eager :D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
On the hybrid, I have found Eco mode to be pretty much useless. Kills the pedal and I actually get better MPG in standard and sport (in fact, I think sport gives the best MPG in the city but standard on the highway).

However on the 3.7 loaner I have right now, Eco is thoroughly usable. The acceleration on he 3.7 is really eager compared to the hybrid... not faster, just REALLY eager :D
I have a gasser... I thought I was imagining thing but I feel it gives best mpg when I set to sport in City and standard in highway.
I measured this one based on the tank fill up recently. Before I kept everything standard for my daily commute (80%highway) and my mpg was around 22-23.
Now that I am switching to Sport on local, it gives me around 23-25.

It might be my machine is breaking in so the MPG is better? I have over 3000 miles now.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm think eco mode just changes the throttle map: takes more pedal travel to get same acceleration. So - if you push pedal harder to get desired acceleration you get no MPG gains. It *might* change the auto trans shift points. However, one of the techs on the forum probably know better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Driving the car on the highway today I changed between standard and eco. you can feel the car slow down. I almost want to say regen brakes started grabbing a little while keeping steady pedal force. you can be the passenger, close your eyes, and you'll know when it goes between ECO and STANDARD

·
Registered
239 Posts
Driving the car on the highway today I changed between standard and eco. you can feel the car slow down. I almost want to say regen brakes started grabbing a little while keeping steady pedal force. you can be the passenger, close your eyes, and you'll know when it goes between ECO and STANDARD
If you kept your foot on the gas in the same position, the computer re-mapped the throttle to a lower position, reducing the gas, slowing the car. I doubt your regen brake kicked in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.