Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own an 03 Maxima and there was a procedure with a series of timed presses on the gas pedal (with the engine off... and yes some people tried it with the engine running) that did a soft reboot of the ECU. I was wondering if this is a capability on our cars. Just curious.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check with the technician next time I'm at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Interesting. I used to do this once a month on my TL since it used to "learn" driving habits when pressing the accelerator. I'd like to know the process for the Q50 as well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ahh the 03 Max...a relic from a by-gone era.

I found a procedure in the book that talks about reading and clearing the stored fault, but before putting my name to it I need to see if it works.

It does not appear to be as simple as they used to be. If I were the curious sort (which I am), I would consider just biting the bullet and buying a good generic scanner. That way you can at least read the code on the screen instead of counting flashing lights like we did in the stone ages.

Interesting fun fact. There are not something called permanent DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). I think I read somewhere that this is a new standard. Even after the light is off there are several codes that will be stored in the computers memory until several very specific drive patterns are replicated. To the driver you will notice no difference but from the back end it keeps much longer tabs on past problems (actually pretty helpful to us). Clearing the light is only one step of a new much more involved process. As long as there has been OBDII there have been System Rediness Tests that the computer must see before it will verify the integrity of an emissions control system, this is a slightly more modern version of that.

Reactions: cvipgo

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would consider just biting the bullet and buying a good generic scanner. That way you can at least read the code on the screen instead of counting flashing lights like we did in the stone ages.
Are Q50s OBDII or OBDIII (2 vs 3) compliant?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Everything in my world is still only OBD-II. Seems like we are years from OBD-III....ugh I can't wait for the threads about that when the day comes. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh the 03 Max...a relic from a by-gone era
What?? You calling my Max a relic? Really? Choose your words wisely... thems fighting words... LOL! It's got 160k on it and runs like a bat out of he!!. I've made MANY performance mods on it and can RUN! The real relic is the 1976 Nissan 280Z I owned when I was 19...

·
Registered
309 Posts
What?? You calling my Max a relic? Really? Choose your words wisely... thems fighting words... LOL! It's got 160k on it and runs like a bat out of he!!. I've made MANY performance mods on it and can RUN! The real relic is the 1976 Nissan 280Z I owned when I was 19...
Hahaha, I can't figure out why old car owners are so touchy. :D

Well in my world 2003 is father away from 2014 than 1976 was to 2003. Oh the things that have changed in 10 years.

Now you wanna talk anniversary edition 2000 Maximas...that was a classic. They really don't build them like that anymore. I was never a huge fan of the earliest 3.5, as you have seen they are pretty solid but just not what the good ole VQ30DE was. The only car I like more than those is the 96 J30 and 99 Q45t.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Hahaha, I can't figure out why old car owners are so touchy. :D

Well in my world 2003 is father away from 2014 than 1976 was to 2003. Oh the things that have changed in 10 years.

Now you wanna talk anniversary edition 2000 Maximas...that was a classic. They really don't build them like that anymore. I was never a huge fan of the earliest 3.5, as you have seen they are pretty solid but just not what the good ole VQ30DE was. The only car I like more than those is the 96 J30 and 99 Q45t.
Of course, the 2000 Maxima and the 1999 and 2000 I30, were basically the same car. The '99 I30 was my first Infiniti, and was a solid car for three years, before I traded it for the '03 G35(bought in March of '02)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I own an 03 Maxima and there was a procedure with a series of timed presses on the gas pedal (with the engine off... and yes some people tried it with the engine running) that did a soft reboot of the ECU. I was wondering if this is a capability on our cars. Just curious.
Not sure if the Q50 is the same as the G37 but heres a link to that info in case anyone wants to give it a try... :rolleyes:

Easy Way to Reset ECU without battery disconnect - MyG37

·
Registered
4 Posts

Relic? ****, I've STILL got a 99 Maxima SE-L. It's my commuter car with 150k miles. I let it sit for a year and a half, (I know, big no-no), changed the battery, fired it up and have been driving it for thousands of miles...not even a hint of a hiccup. Long live the VQ30DE!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.