Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

ECUTEK tune Issue? Press Down on Accelerator Pedal and Nothing Happens?

6K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  HOOKZ- Silver Bullet-19SS 
#1 ·
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I got my 2018 Q50 Silver Sport ECUTEK tuned by a local tuner that is known for his work on Nissan/Infiniti and I have been having acceleration issue.

It happens where I am driving at a constant speed, I try to accelerate (happens when both light acceleration or hard acceleration) and I press down on the accelerator pedal and absolutely nothing happens and it doesn't matter if I depress more. The RPM stay the same or decrease slightly then after a few seconds, it accelerates out of nowhere.

Talked to my tuner and he mentioned and he has not seen this before and will send my datalogs over to ECUTEK.

Has anyone had this issue?

#2 ·
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I got my 2018 Q50 Silver Sport ECUTEK tuned by a local tuner that is known for his work on Nissan/Infiniti and I have been having acceleration issue.

It happens where I am driving at a constant speed, I try to accelerate (happens when both light acceleration or hard acceleration) and I press down on the accelerator pedal and absolutely nothing happens and it doesn't matter if I depress more. The RPM stay the same or decrease slightly then after a few seconds, it accelerates out of nowhere.

Talked to my tuner and he mentioned and he has not seen this before and will send my datalogs over to ECUTEK.

Has anyone had this issue?
No fault codes??
do you have ecutek bluetooth?

#5 ·
Who is the tuner? What mods? No, this is not common with Ecutek..

#7 ·
Z Car Garage in the SF Bay Area. He is pretty well known in the Z community that was the reason I decided to go with him.

Is it probably the tune then?

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it is very inconvenient especially on the freeway.

#12 ·
I think I had the exact same problem as u described, it happened only once and on one of the first tuning revisions, never experienced that again after the tune was over and done.

#14 ·
Same issue I and others have. I have it on my untuned 2020 RS. There was a service bulletin just released for 2021 models with this issue where the ECU needs to be reflashed. Problem here is why did you get this on a 2018 and only after the tune. I'm sure as with the belt issue that the model year they claim it occurs in is underreported. I've not heard anyone before 2020 have the issue. But you just described my torture several times a week. Its an ECU issue. Tell your tuner about the service bulletin and see if that helps. Please share what you find out.

Reactions: Batell and Wheels43
#19 ·
It does not.

#26 ·
The TSB for the belt issue didn't apply to my 2018 RS yet I had the belt issue and they replaced my pulley. It came back again a few thousand miles later so I traded her in for the 2020 RS. Now I have the issue where I depress the pedal 100% and according to my JB4 my throttle sticks at 28% for a couple of seconds then flies to 100% and my car jerks forward. So ya my 2020 had the ECU issue and its the same issue this tuned car is having for some reason. If the tune brought in any of the original code then that is where the issue lies. I'm wondering what the tuner will see when he checks the code, or whatever he sees, with this info in hand.

I don't have a heat problem when it happens on a 55 degree morning and my JB4 logged trans temp is at 100 or below. And for me it happens when I'm going moderately slow, no boost, in traffic and then i try to floor it when the road opens up. And bam, nothing happens as if my gas pedal is disconnected. Its dangerous when the throttle does kick in and I get instant boost like its a launch control situation but not when you'd want to be getting 18psi in a millisecond.

#27 ·
The TSB for the belt issue didn't apply to my 2018 RS yet I had the belt issue and they replaced my pulley. It came back again a few thousand miles later so I traded her in for the 2020 RS. Now I have the issue where I depress the pedal 100% and according to my JB4 my throttle sticks at 28% for a couple of seconds then flies to 100% and my car jerks forward. So ya my 2020 had the ECU issue and its the same issue this tuned car is having for some reason. If the tune brought in any of the original code then that is where the issue lies. I'm wondering what the tuner will see when he checks the code, or whatever he sees, with this info in hand.

I don't have a heat problem when it happens on a 55 degree morning and my JB4 logged trans temp is at 100 or below. And for me it happens when I'm going moderately slow, no boost, in traffic and then i try to floor it when the road opens up. And bam, nothing happens as if my gas pedal is disconnected. Its dangerous when the throttle does kick in and I get instant boost like its a launch control situation but not when you'd want to be getting 18psi in a millisecond.
Does this happen to you while in auto mode I assume....try pedal shifting in traffic and see if it happens again

#29 ·
The problem is minimized with the paddles. It definitely has a transmission tie-in it seems. But there is also the throttle being stuck in the mid-20% while pedal is at 100%. Turning off and back on the car helps usually but not always. And it always seems to occur after steady driving. So I experimented with paddles by never going past 5th which eliminated the problem for the few days I drove like that. Then next day back to auto and the problem returned. But she has really good days where she pulls really well and other days where she had this issue. It makes me sad. I live almost an hour from the dealer and I can't take a day off right now to go down there. But I have hope the reflash will help. I just hope they don't deny me the reflash because 2020 is not included in the service bulletin.

#31 ·
I will post csv and all that this weekend. I caught the issue in a log today and it was bad today. See my pedal go to 100 and throttle and fuel do nothing? This is the issue. I step on it and I wait for second. There was another time in this trip where I was at a light, turns green, pedal 100% and it was like I was driving a 1992 Geo Metro.

#33 ·
Any updates on this? I have an '18RS and am planning to get an ECUtek tune soon.

This is my first time hearing of this issue. Hope your tuner or dealership could resolve your problems!

#35 ·
Actually yes on my end! I actually decided a few days after this post to get tuned by AMS. (Remote Tuning)

And like magic, the issue went away! I have not been able to reproduce and the car feels much better. Great experience overall.

Those guys at AMS know exactly what they are doing which is why it is worth every penny.

#34 ·
any florida rs will do this. especially when joining traffic, when you’re most vulnerable to getting t-boned. suggest wmi and ams hx. also only turn it off when unavoidable. anyway I look at it, fi anything is a poor choice during 3000+ da summers

#36 ·
If it's a heat soak issue, I'm not as worried. AMS Race HE and AMS fender auxiliary cooler tank are getting installed with the tune.

Just didn't want to run into issue with the ECUtek tune itself like SilveRs mentioned.

Thanks for the reply Ejp1014. I will DM as I have a couple more San Jose specific questions.

#43 ·
That would be awesome. I'll follow the meetup thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.