Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed my e-tuning experience using EcuTek with AMS Performance. The process itself went well and I'm very pleased with my tune. I did have one issue with EcuTek/ProECU during the process and wanted to document it since it may help someone else in the future. From my research, I couldn't find anyone else having this issue or anything about it online anywhere.

I have a 2019 Luxe. My first three tunes from AMS went well. They could be applied to the car in 2-3 minutes, no problems, after the first longer write of course. By revision 4, I started experiencing failures while applying the tune. The ProECU error was always:

"An Error Occurred: ######## Service 0xA4 ########: 24 requestSequenceError"

At that point, if you retried to apply the tune revision, it would also fail because the tune was "VIN Locked". The failed tune from before wiped out the VIN and the new tune's VIN (my VIN) didn't match. The error in this case was always:

"An Error Occurred: ECU VIN () does not match ROM VIN (JN1............). Programming Aborted!"

At this point you may assume you have just bricked your ECU. Don't panic... well, unless you don't have a stock map to recopy, but your tuner should have given you one by now anyway. Go and flash back to that stock tune. You may find you have to turn your car back off, restart ProECU, whatever. The stock tune will flash back on there, though you may find failures doing this along the way. At least you will also find that it basically resumes where it left off. Trust me, it will go back on there. So now you're back to stock and can start your car at least.

By now of course I just assumed I had done something wrong. I jumped through such hoops as simply trying again to uninstalling ProECU from my laptop, even cleaning every reference I could find in the Windows Registry for "proecu" or "ecutek". None of this proved to be a long-lasting solution. For whatever stroke of luck, it did appear that a fresh ProECU install and laptop reboot worked twice... then even that method started to fail with the same errors.

By this point I had probably reflashed my ECU 20 times, lost six hours of sleep worrying and was on revision 6 of my tune from AMS. Luckily my logs were looking good, no more of the slight knocking I was seeing before. I was determined to finish the process and jump through whatever hoops it took. I still assumed it was something I had done or an issue with my laptop for some reason.

I finally decided to also email [email protected] and ask them about the situation. They were very quick to get back to me and to explain that, basically, it's a known but rare issue some people see with ProECU, particularly with silver sports. Somehow when a tune is being copied to the ECU, the next bit can jump over the last bit and you get an out of sequence error. It basically boils down to good luck versus bad luck. To get the tune to copy in successfully, just keep trying. The process I was going through, having to flash back to stock and then try again, was the best I could do. It's important to note that reinstalling ProECU and such was irrelevant, so don't waste your time with that.

They went on to explain that they have been aware of this problem for quite some time but haven't been able to duplicate it on their development car. They said they have made some good headway with working around the error on ECU Connect (to flash tunes from your phone) but are still working on incorporating those changes into the PC version of ProECU.

They were able to provide me with a beta version of ProECU that had the coding changes so far incorporated into it. I downloaded that version and was then successful at installing tune revisions. So, if you are having these issues, contact EcuTek support and hopefully they can help you out similarly. We thanked one another for the help - them giving me the beta program and me helping them test it (haha) and went our separate ways.

Hopefully these changes will become more mainstream soon, after they get their hands on more test cases to play around with. If this post helps one person, it was worth writing it up. I was pulling my hair out for a couple days and, honestly, a less tech-savvy person may have just assumed they bricked their ECU and went down the wrong road from there.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The flashing issue sounds similar to one aspect of my adventure two and a half years ago. A bug that caused fueling to spiral out of control leading to misfires and "successful" flashes that did not complete in actuality. Since getting those worked out, the car has been perfect the past two years on AMS' EcuTek tune.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The flashing issue sounds similar to one aspect of my adventure two and a half years ago. A bug that caused fueling to spiral out of control leading to misfires and "successful" flashes that did not complete in actuality. Since getting those worked out, the car has been perfect the past two years on AMS' EcuTek tune.
I just read through your adventure... not fun at all. Glad you got it all figured out in the long run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard back from EcuTek support again this morning. The changes they made that were available in the beta version of ProECU I was given should be rolled into the next official release of ProECU (should be within the next two weeks)... so hopefully no one else here deals with this issue again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts