Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Silver Sport Lux RWD
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to knowingly run a fellow Q owner that resided down the street from a good friend of mine.

His neighbor had seen me bring the Q over to my friends house a few times to do some wrenching on the car.

Ironically, we all own white Q50's.

The neighbor to my friend has a slightly different set up, but was hoping we could get a couple runs in with each other to do some comparison.

So essentially here was the car breakdown...

My Q:
2018 Silver Sport
AMS HEX / Coolant Expansion Tank
AMS Intakes
AMS High Flo Catted Full DPs
FI Cat Back (Non-Resonated) 10" Mufflers
ECUTEK Remote tune by AMS (15lbs of boost)
Z1 Subframe Bushing Inserts
Factory Wheels and Tires

His Q:
2019 3.0T
HEX - looks like a front mount (don't recall the brand)
MEGAN Catless Full DPs
Stock Exhaust
JB4 running +6 (he said between 18 / 19 lbs of boost total)
RSR Down Springs
Aftermarket Wheels w/ Bridgestone Run Flats
Meth Kit 50/50 (Borger I think)

Going into the race with the additional boost and methanol I really was expecting to get a certified ass kicking

We did 3 rolls each from 40 (I was in 3rd, not sure which gear he was in)

To my surprise each of the 3 runs (typically shut down before 120) I managed to get a car length out in front of him. I think it will be a closer outcome once he gets a cat-back (he has an AFE on order). But it was fun none the less. I told him to get the cat back and would look forward to another shakedown.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
His math regarding his boost levels don’t add up. Assuming from the label 3.0t that it’s a 300hp version, +6 on a JB4 would be about 15psi, not 18 or 19. Regardless, having an actual flash tune is obviously the better way to go. I’d love to know what gear he was in and if he was actually using his WMI. Thanks for posting this! Sounds like y’all had some fun!

·
Registered
2017 Q50S
401 Posts
He may have meant map 6 and not +6.
His math regarding his boost levels don’t add up. Assuming from the label 3.0t that it’s a 300hp version, +6 on a JB4 would be about 15psi, not 18 or 19. Regardless, having an actual flash tune is obviously the better way to go. I’d love to know what gear he was in and if he was actually using his WMI. Thanks for posting this! Sounds like y’all had some fun!

·
Registered
2017 Q50S
401 Posts
The biggest place the Ecutek tune will shine is from a dig although you are rwd.

Reactions: Ddnspider

·
Super Moderator
3,655 Posts
More importantly - AMS Ecutek tune with only 15 psi? Even if it were on 91 octane, I would think you could easily use a 17-18 psi map w/o issue with the listed mods.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
949 Posts
As others said, +6psi on a non RS would not result in any where near 18-19psi. Also, seems like it would be a waste of money to be tuned on Ecutec at only 15psi, not to mention risk of warranty denial due to modifying the ECU.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So as far as my tune from AMS. I just asked for a reliable and conservative tune. I think should I decide to do fuel component upgrades I will squeeze out the extra 2-3lbs of boost.

And to those more familiar with JB4. Perhaps he meant map 6 and I misunderstood. I do know the methanol kit was being used. He said the car runs so much better with it. And I do think once he gets a cat-back it will be a closer race for sure.

He did ask if AMS had done any tuning to my transmission. To which I told him not to my knowledge. Isn't the transmission controlled by another ECU of some kind? He said that he has to shift around 6,800 in order for it to make it to the next gear because of a delay or lag of some kind. To which I told him I go all the way to 7k and hit the paddle for the next gear.

Totally chill guy and I am sure we will be able to get some more runs in and see how our cars progress. Nice to have something to kind of benchmark against

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,673 Posts
+6 psi on non red sport can easily be 17psi peak, especially with WMI, So i wouldn't say "any where near 18-19" but yes aside from boost spikes definitely not 18-19, so could 16-17psi though. or he could have meant map 6 in which case he could technically be at +8psi peak or 18-19psi.

Either way, without knowing both powerbands, peak numbers and/or peak boost don't really tell you all that much. His boost could be heavily tapered off top end and yours being only +15 may be pretty steady holding on till redline, so in the actual power band you might be making more power/boost.

Reactions: mr. whistle

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
More importantly - AMS Ecutek tune with only 15 psi? Even if it were on 91 octane, I would think you could easily use a 17-18 psi map w/o issue with the listed mods.
Agreed. 18psi is the sweet spot with power and efficiency.

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lol, just saw this post. Not on here much. I am the one that PerfectWhiteQ50S ran. To clear things up, I am on Map 6 running plus 9 peaking up to 5.5k and tapering down to plus 6 to 7k. Yes, my peak boost is around 18-19 psi. CBE exhaust is installed and she is breathing nicely. Doubt it's enough but it should be a slightly closer race. Heard you had your LSD finally installed?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, just saw this post. Not on here much. I am the one that PerfectWhiteQ50S ran. To clear things up, I am on Map 6 running plus 9 peaking up to 5.5k and tapering down to plus 6 to 7k. Yes, my peak boost is around 18-19 psi. CBE exhaust is installed and she is breathing nicely. Doubt it's enough but it should be a slightly closer race. Heard you had your LSD finally installed?

I bet the CBE has done more than you think. From what most have said. That and downpipes aside from tune and then fuel is one of the biggest bottlenecks and chokehold on power. I think it will be a MUCH closer race. Now, we just need to run again!

LSD is installed. But I wasn't spinning tires like some say they do. So I doubt that will help me much from a roll. I did recently get rid of the factory Dunlop's. I did just get some Continental Extreme Contact tires, which I think are like almost 10lbs lighter per tire. So the car got a mild diet.

Reactions: Q50Wolf
1 - 12 of 12 Posts