Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Along with the usual oil/filter change, brake fluid change and the various inspections, I decided to change the engine air filters also. The maintenance manual says 30,000 miles or 36 months, whichever comes first. Here are my filters after 19,000 miles:

The OEM filters were definitely oil-coated but I went with Purolator dry filters as a replacement. I even had to vacuum out the inlet section of the filter housings as they had bits of straw in them from following behind hay bale trucks that roam around here.

I think 30,000 miles or 3 years for an air filter change interval is too long based on what I saw. 15,000 miles is probably more prudent, at least around here.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good call as you were due. I usually go around 20k or so here as well. Yes the OE paper are coated in a bit of oil spray from the factory.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think 30,000 miles or 3 years for an air filter change interval is too long based on what I saw. 15,000 miles is probably more prudent, at least around here.
Those are pretty dirty. Surprised the manual says 30K miles, although I guess I should not be surprised because it also says 10K between oil changes which is way too long. I have always replaced mine at 15K with all my cars.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
1,995 Posts
I've always followed the 15k rule too.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I change mine usually around every 14-15k miles. I changed mine at 13k and 24k so far. So, I guess I'm doing it even earlier than usual on this car.

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
My rule of thumb has been 30,000 miles unless sooner per the manufacturer. I kinda forgot on the Escape and it went just over 40k. Oops.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
My rule of thumb has been 30,000 miles unless sooner per the manufacturer. I kinda forgot on the Escape and it went just over 40k. Oops.
I thought you said that all the parts of your car will last the life. LOL, I check my in the spring, and fall, if they need to be replaced I do.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw one video on YouTube where the guy changing the air filters seemed to think it was necessary to remove the front shroud and a few other pieces for better access in order to swap filters. I didn't remove anything. Just released the two clips on the filter housings and spread the housings just far enough apart to slide the filter out and the new one back in.

When you look inside of the filter housings at the bottom towards the side closest to each fender, you will see about a 1" opening. I believe that is where the crankcase blow-by enters each filter housing. If you look at the pattern of the dark oil and dirt deposition on the filter media, you can see how the blow-by oil distributes up from the 1" opening and fans out across the media. Other pictures I've seen of dirty VR30 air filters show the same oil pattern.

Self-oiling air filter media? LOL!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
It's good that you didn't find any bugs or banana peels lodged in there. I rotated mine after 10k so oil/dirt pattern sort of fills the entire filter. Then changed them out to Wix after 20k miles and now back to OEM since 7k miles ago. The OEM ones I bought were dry though.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There were a few bug bodies and fir needles in addition to the grass straw...typical for here.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The OEM ones I bought were dry though.
I was happy to find that my filters were dry. I bought my 2017 with 20K miles so they were just replaced by the dealer before purchase, along with the cabin filter. So I suspect the oiled ones are only done from the factory.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I was happy to find that my filters were dry. I bought my 2017 with 20K miles so they were just replaced by the dealer before purchase, along with the cabin filter. So I suspect the oiled ones are only done from the factory.
I read in one of Nissan publications that oiled air filters from the factory are only installed on RS models. But I find it interesting that they don't offer them in their retail parts store (not that I care if the filters are oiled or dry).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine were filthy at 9K. I swapped out to aFe Takeda dry filters and will just plan to clean them every 10K or so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I finally got around to swapping my factory engine air filters for my 2020 RS AWD to the AFE Power dry high flow filters and even though the car only has about 1,700 miles on the clock the factory air filters had started to develop black soot on them...I was quite surprised...I normally change my engine air filters every other oil change (10K miles) unless I have a reusable high flow air filter(s). I would suggest changing the engine oil and oil filter every 3K to 5K miles on these VR30 engines as they produce a tremendous amount heat and use very high rpm turbo's (although boost levels are
fairly moderate at stock levels).

My Son's tuned MB CLS 63S AMG with the huge 5.5 liter twin turbo M157 engine consumes a surprising amount of engine oil (he does drive it hard at times) around 1 quart per 1,200 miles or so...It too is a high temp engine and turbo combination...

To Infiniti's credit I have never had a oil consumption issue with my old 2016 SS AWD VR30 engine (granted I never drove it hard or raced it). So, hopefully the VR30 on my 2020 RS AWD will have no issues either.

I picked up a Invidia Gemini SS CBE for my 2020 RS AWD from a fellow forum member here (Thanks Gene), and will be ordering a set of HKS resonated lower down pipes, as well as HKS BOV kit, and if I can figure out if I'm able to install a ADD W1 V3.3 Oil Catch Can without interfering with the HKS BOV kit I will be doing that as well...Lastly, I want to upgrade the front and rear brake rotors with the Akebono/Z1 two piece brake kit for better performance, weight savings, and stopping power. My Son thinks adding a JB4 piggy back tune is worth it, but I want to stay with bolt-on performance upgrades and don't want to risk possible reliability or warranty issues...

Well anyway, back to the OP and question at hand, yes check your filters and engine oil and don't always go by the manufactures recommendation interval as it is often a very basic rule very dependent on your location/environment and type/style of driving as well as the quality of the engine oil your using (personally, I always try to use a API SN Plus rated/certified engine oil).

Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the AMS ones on now, but here are mine at 17k when I took them off.

I forgot to snap a pic of the other side, but that side looked pretty clean, so definitely doing their job.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking at the schematic of the PVC system, it indicates that the blow-by lines from the crankcase vent into the air inlet after the filters but looking at the air intake boxes, it looks like the blow-by lines vent in front of the filters. That makes more sense to me because the MAFs are located right after the air filter boxes and would be fouled quickly based on the dark oil deposition on the inlet side of the filters.

Is this correct or is that 1" opening in the bottom of the air filter box for something else?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I read in one of Nissan publications that oiled air filters from the factory are only installed on RS models. But I find it interesting that they don't offer them in their retail parts store (not that I care if the filters are oiled or dry).
I buy the oem filters for my sport and they are oiled. I get them from discountinfinitiparts.com

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
I thought you said that all the parts of your car will last the life. LOL, I check my in the spring, and fall, if they need to be replaced I do.
The way things are going with COVID-19, I may have purchased my last tank of gas.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts