Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, i am a newbie here and i could really do with some valuable suggestions. Basically I got a q50 17 plate with only 17000 miles and i have owned it from the start since 17. I drove it very less in the first two years like only short journeys and total of 10000 miles. The problem came in last year August 19 and the engine malfunction light came up. I took to it infiniti dealership and tbey said it needed a maf sensor which was covered under warranty and replaced it and gave the car back but the light came back in a day and when i took the car back they said wiring might have been messed up as fault was still coming that maf sensor is faulty. They took the car for a month and then said it needed software updating but they fault never went away and then they said dpf was blocked and regeneration was done manually. After two months of trial and error the car was given back to me and it was fine until july this year. In july i drove the car and same dreaded light came back. I took it to Nissan dealer and they replaced the maf again but light came back again after a day. Now they saying they have spoken to infiniti technical and changing the ecu. Now my question is will that resolve the issue. As car is running out of warranty next month. What will happen if it runs out of warranty. Has anyone else had similar experience. Please help

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
What is a q50 17 plate?

No one can say if replacing your ECU will solve your problem. That is an expensive item to replace off-warranty so I'd let them swap it even if no one is sure that will solve the problem. DPF? You must have a diesel.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi All, apologies for the confusion what i meant to say was its a q50 of 2017 model a 2.2 diesel and yes in uk. It is an expensive item as the maf sensor was changed by the nissan dealer and it costed £500. The cost of ecu change is estimated at £2500.

·
Premium Member
Infiniti Q50 '17 Redsport, Dynamic Sunstone. Trunk Strong Arm struts. Red
190 Posts
Why do you care that the ECU cost 2500 pounds when you paid tens of thousands of pounds for your car and it's still under warranty? I don't get it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dear friend i am not worried about the cost if ecu what i am worried about and my original question was that will changing the ecu resolve my issue for definite and was asking if anyone had the same results with ecu change. I am worried that when warranty expires next month and something happens again what will happen then?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
My dear friend i am not worried about the cost if ecu what i am worried about and my original question was that will changing the ecu resolve my issue for definite and was asking if anyone had the same results with ecu change. I am worried that when warranty expires next month and something happens again what will happen then?
As I already stated, no one can say for sure if changing your ECU will solve your problem. There's simply not enough information to do so. Besides, the number of forum members who have 2.2 diesels is pretty small here so there's not a lot of knowledge about your engine and potential causes of CELs. Let them change the ECU and if nothing else, it can be eliminated as a potential cause of your problem and save you the cost of ultimately replacing it after your warranty expires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello all just a bit of update. The dealership replaced the ecu and after 1 week waiting and when i asked for updates they informed me that since the ecu reprogramming the car is not changing into reverse gear at all and upon speaking with infinity technical they have suggested to change the turbo now. I am struggling to understand what is happening here...

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
Hello all just a bit of update. The dealership replaced the ecu and after 1 week waiting and when i asked for updates they informed me that since the ecu reprogramming the car is not changing into reverse gear at all and upon speaking with infinity technical they have suggested to change the turbo now. I am struggling to understand what is happening here...
Sorry to hear that the ECU replacement didn't help and now the turbo is bad? I hope they can get that mess straightened out for you.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Hmmm I have to question the ability of the technicians you are dealing with if they think a turbo issue would be preventing the car from shifting in to reverse....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just been reviewing your problem as my car Infiniti Q50 2.2D is going through the same problem. The Engine light is on for the 4th time after been repaired by Nissan.

I would very much like to hear how your problem was resolved m.

Thank you for any up dates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi mate. In the end the car needed new ECU, a new turbo and also a new air filter.. It was all replaced under warranty otherwise the work was costing about £5000.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tbh mine was also out of warranty as car was 17 plate and warranty ran out in March but when i went to the dealer i kinda lied that issue happened in march but i couldn't come to them due to lockdown of corona, and nissan dealership were nice enough to believe me but the car was with them for almost 2 months. Once they changed the ecu the gearbox was messed up and car wouldn't reverse so it took lot of time to resolve.... But apart from ecu change there is no other resolution to this as the same nissan dealership dealt with other 5 cars with same issue

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum after looking for a solution for my problem and finding this topic.

My car is Q50 2.2d 2016 with 27k miles on it.
Worked with no issues until about 1 week ago when all of a sudden I've got the check engine light and the limp mode.

Checked the error with the OBD scanner and found 1 error P0101 for the MAF readings being out of range.

I've cleaned the MAF with a special MAF spray and deleted the error. Car run perfect for a couple of days and got the same error.

Bought another new genuine Mercedes MAF with the same part number etc and the same error straight away with the new MAF.

I've compared the live data readings between the old and the new MAFs and they are pretty much identical.

I've put the old MAF in and deleted the error now I don't have the error anymore but the car is running in some sort of limp mode. Don't have the full power and can't put the gearbox in manual mode.

The car has run out of warranty last year and reading the above solution applied by the dealers I'm getting a bit nervous.

I don't see why replace the ECU and turbo. I can see the live data readings just fine so the ECU is reading all the sensors. Turbo is fine. I can feel it after 2500 rpm but doesn't kick in on lover revs due to the limitations from the ECU.

I've booked the car at the Nissan dealer in Leeds /UK for investigation. I'm hoping it can be sorted with a software update and reset of the parameters.

By reading the Mercedes forums, as the engine and all electronics under the bonnet are Mercedes, on some newer cars when the air filter is replaced there is a special operation in the dealers ECU tools to reset the relearning the air intake parameters due to the filter change. It seems that the ECU is programmed to know what air flow should the engine get at a certain milage and when the filter is replaced these values don't match.
I've got the car used from a previous infiniti dealership that closed down last year and done the service at a local indie shop that of course doesn't have the special Infiniti / Merc tool.

From the above post I could see that this has happened quite frequently on low milage cars. This shouldn't happen unless there's a serious manufacturing design issue.

I know MAFs do fail but should happen after at least 100k at least.

Has anyone got this sorted without replacing the ECU etc?

Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum after looking for a solution for my problem and finding this topic.

My car is Q50 2.2d 2016 with 27k miles on it.
Worked with no issues until about 1 week ago when all of a sudden I've got the check engine light and the limp mode.

Checked the error with the OBD scanner and found 1 error P0101 for the MAF readings being out of range.

I've cleaned the MAF with a special MAF spray and deleted the error. Car run perfect for a couple of days and got the same error.

Bought another new genuine Mercedes MAF with the same part number etc and the same error straight away with the new MAF.

I've compared the live data readings between the old and the new MAFs and they are pretty much identical.

I've put the old MAF in and deleted the error now I don't have the error anymore but the car is running in some sort of limp mode. Don't have the full power and can't put the gearbox in manual mode.

The car has run out of warranty last year and reading the above solution applied by the dealers I'm getting a bit nervous.

I don't see why replace the ECU and turbo. I can see the live data readings just fine so the ECU is reading all the sensors. Turbo is fine. I can feel it after 2500 rpm but doesn't kick in on lover revs due to the limitations from the ECU.

I've booked the car at the Nissan dealer in Leeds /UK for investigation. I'm hoping it can be sorted with a software update and reset of the parameters.

By reading the Mercedes forums, as the engine and all electronics under the bonnet are Mercedes, on some newer cars when the air filter is replaced there is a special operation in the dealers ECU tools to reset the relearning the air intake parameters due to the filter change. It seems that the ECU is programmed to know what air flow should the engine get at a certain milage and when the filter is replaced these values don't match.
I've got the car used from a previous infiniti dealership that closed down last year and done the service at a local indie shop that of course doesn't have the special Infiniti / Merc tool.

From the above post I could see that this has happened quite frequently on low milage cars. This shouldn't happen unless there's a serious manufacturing design issue.

I know MAFs do fail but should happen after at least 100k at least.

Has anyone got this sorted without replacing the ECU etc?

Thank you
Hi Mate.

I think i need to mention this i had also had my cars MAF sensor changed twice as i had similar issue when my car was 1.5 years old and this was done at Birmingham infiniti at that time they didn't changed the ecu or turbo. Instead they changed the MAF sensor and also changed some wiring going into the sensor. Cleaned the DPF and also changed the software but that only resolved the issue for 8-9 months and then it reappeared again. So changing the MAF sensor wouldn't do anything and the problem will come back. As according to Nissan dealer who resolved the issue in the end by changing ecu stated that he is getting a lot of cars coming to him with the same issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Monty,

Thank you for the details. To be honest if I have to replace the ECU the I will better replace the car.
I have another car, a Reno Laguna with the M9R 2.0 diesel developed with Nissan. It has 180HP and now after 163k miles on it still pulls like a train and absolutely no issues. Looks bulletproof.

Which Nissan dealer did you go to? I might give them a call just in case if I don't get it sorted at Nissan Leeds.

I've lost confidence already in the car and if the fix is not simple then will give up on chasing a fix. At this price and reputation of the brand issues like this shouldn't happen. I know that every manufacturer has problems but I was expecting something else from a top Japanese brand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi mate.

I totally understand your concerns and hence after replacing the ecu and turbo i have now sold my car even though it had very low mileage and i loved it but i took a loss and sold it instead. The dealership is called west way nissan and address is Brettell Ln, Dudley, Brierley Hill DY5 3LS. 01384 574444.
Costs £200 odd plus vat for initial consultation and then they will tell you the options to go from there onwards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

Got it sorted today. I've been reading on the Merc forums about this and was confirmed by the Nissan technician.

The ECU has a learning procedure for the MAF readings and needs to be done at every air filter replacement.

Also its expecting an air filter replacement at about 20k - 22k miles otherwise it will start complaining about it.

If a new filter is installed without the procedure it will see values from MAF that doesn't match the calibrated values and generate de P0101 error.

They've put a new genuine filter, reset ECU and calibrate it.

Job done. Car pulls like a train and I've never had such a low consumption with over 48mpg.

So far very pleased with the service received from Nissan today.

Hope it helps! Lesson learned for me 😁

1 - 20 of 29 Posts