Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I knew that and still posted it like he would understand....Sport tech/Signature, And for us in America, we have the sensory which is a sport with none of the extra perks of a real sport.
Recently I received what was probably a form mail from my dealer seeing if I was interested in trading "up" my '17 3.0t Sport for a '21 Sensory.

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, MBRP Cat-Back. HKS BOV, AMS LDP, Mishimoto Catch Can
445 Posts
wouldn't be a bad idea because of the market right now but personally I would recommend getting into the RS instead, it is a jump in price but depending on which way you go, if leasing, the residual is much better on a RS compared to a Sensory so the payments will not be insanely higher. The Sensory model as mentioned previously is kind of disappointing because you are paying the sport price but not getting the benefits of the sport. The Infotainment system is really nice on the 2021's but everything else is the same so you can look at finding a later model Certified RS as well instead of a new one to save some money.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,256 Posts
Recently I received what was probably a form mail from my dealer seeing if I was interested in trading "up" my '17 3.0t Sport for a '21 Sensory.
If you are making payments, you have paid off all the worst depreciation by this point. Now they want to get you in another new car and pay all that depreciation again, while they sell your used car at a high retail because of what the used car market is doing now. I suspect they probably have some '21s that no one wants to buy because no one wants an Infiniti, much less an Infiniti sedan especially at inflated "luxury" car prices for a marque that no one has any respect for.

·
Registered
96 Posts
wouldn't be a bad idea because of the market right now but personally I would recommend getting into the RS instead, it is a jump in price but depending on which way you go, if leasing, the residual is much better on a RS compared to a Sensory so the payments will not be insanely higher. The Sensory model as mentioned previously is kind of disappointing because you are paying the sport price but not getting the benefits of the sport. The Infotainment system is really nice on the 2021's but everything else is the same so you can look at finding a later model Certified RS as well instead of a new one to save some money.
If you are making payments, you have paid off all the worst depreciation by this point. Now they want to get you in another new car and pay all that depreciation again, while they sell your used car at a high retail because of what the used car market is doing now. I suspect they probably have some '21s that no one wants to buy because no one wants an Infiniti, much less an Infiniti sedan especially at inflated "luxury" car prices for a marque that no one has any respect for.
I actually looked hard into a slate gray '21 Red Sport upon getting that form mail, plus a follow up email from the dealer's GM imploring me to look at trade-in and pricing incentives, knowing the used car market and because like you said the Sensory would be a lateral move at best. It would have to be a RS with all the bells and whistles to top what I currently have. But in the end, I just don't think it's sensible financially, like pillboy said. I am financing with maturation in 2023. I'm past the boulder-like depreciation. I'm probably their perfect mark, though. I love the new car smell. Slate gray is a hot color. In the end, though, I resisted the urge. These late-cycle Q50s will depreciate like boulders just due to the fact that next-gen product is coming regardless of it being good or bad.

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
I actually looked hard into a slate gray '21 Red Sport upon getting that form mail, plus a follow up email from the dealer's GM imploring me to look at trade-in and pricing incentives, knowing the used car market and because like you said the Sensory would be a lateral move at best. It would have to be a RS with all these bells and whistles to top what I currently have. But in the end, I just don't think it's sensible financially, like pillboy said. I am financing with maturation in 2023. I'm past the boulder-like depreciation. I'm probably their perfect mark, though. I love the new car smell. Slate gray is a hot color. In the end, though, I resisted the urge. These late-cycle Q50s will depreciate like boulders just due to the fact that next-gen product is coming regardless of it being good or bad.
Put that saved money in a retirement account. Your 60-year-old future self will thank you for it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh, and Infiniti even deleted the fender badging lol

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
there is no longer a sport model, the car you got is a Signature model (Or you can get a Sensory) which typically just gives the sport body but none of the perks of a real sport. You would have to go to a Redsport in order to get all the features listed above. I see why Infiniti did this personally (In regards to the DAS, Adaptive Headlights, Active lane control ETC.), 90% of people did not want to get a Fully loaded sport, they were always the last models left over at the end. For someone like you that had those features before, I definitely understand your frustration, but didn't they go over all of this with you before you purchased the car? I mean no disrespect but you were the one that said yes after knowing what you would be missing out on. You see the bad things Infiniti did with the packaging but for most of the other people that get a 2021 model, they see how great it really was. Now features like ICC (Intelligent Cruise control), DCA (Distance control assist), BCI (Backup Collision Intervention), Blind Spot, Active lane Notification, High beam assist, Birds eye view, parking sensors etc. are all standard luxe and above. Before, you always had to go to the top to get most of those features. On top of those being added, you have a much better infotainment system that now supports Apple carplay and AA. Sorry about the circumstances but you still have an awesome car!
I agree on both fronts. I appreciate that it is my responsibility to know what was included in the new Sport Tech. This is my 6th, G35, G37 and Q50's and I have never seen this much change between various years, even with me always choosing the Sport model. Bottom line: I will enjoy the car to the fullest and yes, it is still an awesome car.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
I agree on both fronts. I appreciate that it is my responsibility to know what was included in the new Sport Tech. This is my 6th, G35, G37 and Q50's and I have never seen this much change between various years, even with me always choosing the Sport model. Bottom line: I will enjoy the car to the fullest and yes, it is still an awesome car.
With that being said (and good for you), after six Infinitis, if they all came from the same dealership I would have no qualms about letting them know my disappointment in the salesperson's lack of full disclosure regarding equipment changes on various trim levels. I thought that is what a salesperson is supposed to do...help a customer choose the car that is right for them?

·
Registered
27 Posts
May I try to summarize this thread:

The 2021 Sensory, Sport Tech trims are priced at former (2020 and prior) Sport model levels but lack much of the actual sport equipment, for example and importantly the seats.

The only new actual sport model now is the red sport.

The current Q50 is in its twilight, get a steal of a deal on a dinosaur or wait til the next thing.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
May I try to summarize this thread:

The 2021 Sensory, Sport Tech trims are priced at former (2020 and prior) Sport model levels but lack much of the actual sport equipment, for example and importantly the seats.

The only new actual sport model now is the red sport.

The current Q50 is in its twilight, get a steal of a deal on a dinosaur or wait til the next thing.
"Sport Tech" is a Canadian trim. In the U.S it is Pure, Luxe, Sensory, Signature Edition, and Red Sport 400 for the 2021 model year.

·
Registered
146 Posts
No Paddle Shifters
I just called a dealer to check and its true. If you want paddle shifters in Canada you HAVE to go to a Red Sport trim.

I'm considering getting a new Q50 and the Essential Tech trim would be perfect as a starting point ($8K cheaper than a RS) - except that the freaking thing doesn't come with paddle shifters nor it has the wiring anymore (reported in other threads). So you if you want shifters you are basically stuck with an RS. Or has anyone found a way around to get paddle shifters on a non-pre wired Q50?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts