Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Federal Law mandates a minimum amount of ethanol to be blended into American gasoline. The minimums for all types of ethanol continue to rise over time, from a total of 9 billion gallons in 2008 to 36 billion gallons by 2022.

With Americans driving fewer and fewer miles every year (Americans drove approximately 93 billion fewer miles in 2012 than in 2007) and makers continually pushing out more fuel efficient vehicles has resulted in gasoline consumption falling 8 billion gallons since 2007.

The combination of increasing mandates and decreasing consumption means that fuel is quickly approaching 10% ethanol concentration. This is significant, because warranties for most American engines are voided beyond 10% ethanol concentration.

The EPA has waived legal restrictions on refineries, now allowing them to blend fuel with up to a 15% ethanol concentration; however auto makers will not be extending warranties beyond the current 10% limit.

Increasing ethanol concentrations promise some nasty side effects. Use of E-15 can decrease fuel efficiency by as much as 30%, Gasoline with high ethanol content can also corrode fuel lines and severely damage the car’s engine. For older cars, engine damage can occur even with 10% blends. In 2009 Lexus executed a massive recal of 2006-2008 model year vehicles after ethanol blended gasoline was corroding injectors.

Let everyone you can tell know about this, make as much noise as possible, because in the end its our safety, our money and our peace of mind that is at risk here.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Makes me glad to be leasing my new cars....the fuel economy thing is disappointing for sure...

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
0 percent ethanol gas ftw

Shell 91.
Is there some proof or source you can point to? I am not saying you are lying.

Reason I ask is that most gas stations, even branded ones, often get gas from the same refinery. It is a commodity after all, and it would not be cost effective for Shell refinery in Louisiana to transport its fuel all the way up in New Jersey, when Shell could just buy the fuel from Exxon refinery in New Jersey and sell it at local Shell gas stations.

All fuel sellers do just that. Of course, when Shell buys the gasoline from the Exxon refinery in New Jersey, it can specify what is in that gasoline.

So what I am asking, is some source from Shell that says they specify/require that their fuel is pure, or whatever.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there some proof or source you can point to? I am not saying you are lying.

Reason I ask is that most gas stations, even branded ones, often get gas from the same refinery. It is a commodity after all, and it would not be cost effective for Shell refinery in Louisiana to transport its fuel all the way up in New Jersey, when Shell could just buy the fuel from Exxon refinery in New Jersey and sell it at local Shell gas stations.

All fuel sellers do just that. Of course, when Shell buys the gasoline from the Exxon refinery in New Jersey, it can specify what is in that gasoline.

So what I am asking, is some source from Shell that says they specify/require that their fuel is pure, or whatever.
Only in Missouri and Montana

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
A number of states require labeling at the pump for ethanol content above 1-2%. Unfortunately California is not one of them. Here is a link to a site with various states listed.
Ethanol Labeling Laws - State by State Guide.

If you are unsure whether the gas you are buying contains ethanol, there is a relatively easy way to check it. Take a small cylindrical shaped bottle like an olive jar and put about an inch of water in it. Mark the water level with a sharpie. Add your gasoline, 3-4 times the amount of water. put a lid on it and shake it. The ethanol will mix with the water and your apparent water level will rise. This can also be done more quantitatively but typically if they are adding Ethanol, it is at the 10% level. In California Ethanol is not required but some sort of Oxygenate is required and Ethanol is most often the additive of choice. :(

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Soooo is it strongly suggested the we now use 100% gasoline? I saw one of these pumps at a local Shell a couple of weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Closest puregas station to me is 175 miles away. Not likely I will be filling up there.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I only use 91 octane from SAMs or Costco or Chevron gas stations which fortunately fall on my route. I haven't had any issue with their gas yet! If you are driving more than 5 miles to get gas, you are defeating the purpose of conservation, air pollution and reducing life of your car.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Soooo is it strongly suggested the we now use 100% gasoline? I saw one of these pumps at a local Shell a couple of weeks ago.
Not officially. However, I prefer it because I get better mileage with it. Plus, it really ticks me off to pay the same price for diluted gasoline. If there's no cost savings and it's lowering mileage, it's a hidden tax that goes straight to corn farmers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.