Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ark x-pipe and midpipe paired with a custom axle back. The axle back has two big magnaflow mufflers. I have a pops
And crackle map and you can barely hear the pops. What mufflers do you guys suggest to have a clean sound while cruising but also good for loud pops?
Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This forum generally doesn’t recommend having a pops and bang tune in the first place, so don’t expect much advise here on this one. The Facebook group will probably be of more use to you.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,273 Posts
Muffler delete.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Car delete

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,286 Posts

• Haha
Reactions: RaceCar

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,273 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
OP, pops n bangs are the result of timing changes and lots of raw fuel dumped in the exhaust. youre burning fuel IN your exhaust. don't expect the cats to put up with it very long if you have them. mufflers generally split at the seams over time and anything with a flex tube will fail at the flex coupler.

if you want to do this reliably, do a full cat delete and then go straight pipes. your car will sound like ass but itll be safe and reliable.

Reactions: Abstract rude

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,286 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have an ark x-pipe and midpipe paired with a custom axle back. The axle back has two big magnaflow mufflers. I have a pops
And crackle map and you can barely hear the pops. What mufflers do you guys suggest to have a clean sound while cruising but also good for loud pops? View attachment 109172
View attachment 109171
My opinion might be wrong, but I'd say take your cats out now and sell them while you can and go catless since your gonna burn them out anyways may as well save some money in the process. Probably help with the pops too not having the cats.

·
Registered
2018 Infiniti Q50 Luxe | Obsidian Black
236 Posts
Muffler delete + full down pipe aka straight pipe. You'll shoot flame up to 5 feet.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Then you can look as cool as this guy!!
Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2018 Infiniti Q50 Luxe | Obsidian Black
236 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,273 Posts

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Those are huge mufflers, your not going to get a lot of pops and bangs with those in the way.
Not that I'd do that myself but to each their own I suppose.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Rumble and pop tune is a humble flex really. Just burning excess gas for sound when gas prices are high af is baller

• Haha
Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,273 Posts
I must be getting too old. Just sounds like a poorly tuned engine to me.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Ok,
not at all my metal friend. Unless it’s a purpose built race car that runs rich to help cool, act as an anti-lag, and increase engine response and predictability when exiting a corner, then that’s exactly what it is; a poorly tuned street car that will need more frequent maintenance then it should.

• Love
Reactions: xBlitzkriegx

·
Registered
834 Posts
this imitation pops n crackle tune harkens back to a time when a vehicle HAD to run a little rich to be at optimal performance, boosted or not. this is most apparent on big cam n/a carbureted engines with headers and a high stall torque converter. they were(are) inefficient at low rpm due to cam overlap and LSA. you also had to add fuel due to headers moving more air out of the engine. you needed a higher stall converter because the torque peak has been moved up the rpm band. you then also need a higher rear end gear to maximize peformance in the intended mph range youre interested in running. you end up with an engine that runs rich, especially on decel because you have some fuel thats left after because the carb is fast but not like an ecm. the result is the overrun burble with some mild pops.

the flip side of this is where the poors would either just let broken exhausts exist or even drill holes in the exhaust system/muffler to aerate the exhaust gas enough to cause lean burn to happen. those are far more violent and explosive. they destroy cats and mufflers through heat and pressure waves. after the cat or muffler disintegrates, its usually removed and blamed for the loss of performance. the stupidly loud bangs on most engines, carbed or injected, are generally just exhaust leaks. imagine wanting your car to sound like it has a terrible exhaust lol.

on the boosted side, fuel used to be (and still kind of is) a way of running safe tunes. many people went overboard with excessively rich a/f and ended up with the pops n bangs and VERY high EGTs. in a misguided effort to stave off detonation, people were/are running EGTs waaaaay too hot and killing turbos. youll know these guys cause they cry about "low quality" garrett or precision turbos failing, "bUt ThErE wAs No DeToNaTiOn"...nevermind those pesky 1800-2,000 degree EGTs lol. a lot of ppl also use the wrong turbo for the application, working it way too hard/ they end up cooking the turbo when a slightly larger turbo (turbine a/r) would drastically reduce temps at the expense of spool rpm.

watching the youngs do this is comical because they refuse to listen to reason (did any of us when we were young though?) about it then damage things and blame the car. ignorance is bliss and ppl who are impressed by the "tune" are happy.

ive rambled enough, sorry.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rumble and pop tune is a humble flex really. Just burning excess gas for sound when gas prices are high af is baller
I always did things for myself. Not going to spend close to $60k on a car, plus over $5k in modifications to impress anyone. Most people don't know what our cars are capable of, nor do they turn heads. However, I love the car for its performance, looks and luxury. It's a fantastic package for the money. Modifying it to be even more fun than it is straight from the factory is also a blast.

100%

1 - 20 of 26 Posts