Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would love it if someone could explain to me when I would use each of the different drive modes. I've been playing around with each mode and seeing how different it feels, but would love some expertise. I have the Premium RWD. Also - given that I have that car, what are my options for customization in the Personal mode?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Basically when u flick the drive mode switch, it gives u different presets that changes how the gear shifts and, not sure about this, how the suspension responds as well!

Once u dive in the drive mode settings, what you are changing are your settings for the personal mode! Try out what steering settings best suit! As for the different drive modes, maybe someone can explain it further for u!

·
Registered
47 Posts
After picking up car today my wife is saying wow steering is different when we stopped she changed setting but still not sure it is what she wants I gather it will take some playing around with options
Lots to learn with all the different settings
What a fun opportunity in front of us

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
correct. the touring package includes the direct adaptive steering.

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Basically when u flick the drive mode switch, it gives u different presets that changes how the gear shifts and, not sure about this, how the suspension responds as well!

Once u dive in the drive mode settings, what you are changing are your settings for the personal mode! Try out what steering settings best suit! As for the different drive modes, maybe someone can explain it further for u!
It changes transmission shift points and adjusts the DAS steering. The suspension acts the same no matter what, there is no adjustable suspension on the Q50.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
The drive mode switch is on every Q50. All hybrids, and any gasser with Deluxe Touring have Direct Adaptive Steering (Steer by wire). Those cars can therefore allow personalization of settings. Personal Mode is just that, personalized. You go to the Drive Mode settings app and customize it. You can set whether the transmission is in standard or sport mode - sport raises the shift points so the car up- and down-shifts at higher rpm's. You can choose how "heavy" the steering wheel feels and also how responsive the steering is. You can also turn on or off Active Trace Control. ATC is a feature on many Infinitis that uses braking of the two inside wheels on a turn to help the car almost 'pivot' around a corner - basically it just makes cornering feel better.

Snow mode - retards throttle response, especially at low speeds. Helps minimize wheel spin when starting in slick conditions. For those of you who grew up driving manual cars in snow, I equate this to starting a car in second gear.

Eco mode - for cars equipped with the Eco pedal, will give a little force-feedback in the gas pedal to basically remind you that the pedal on the right is the one that costs you money. Eco mode will also keep the tranny in standard mode - and I'm not sure, but may make efforts to keep rpms down whenever possible.

Standard - your car will always start up in Standard mode. This seems to be a middle of the road setting. Standard transmission performance, medium 'weight' of the wheel and medium steering response.

Sport - tight, heavy wheel feel and sport transmission setting. As stated above, none of the settings, including sport, affect suspension at all. If your car has an S on the trunk, you have sport suspension. If it doesn't, you have normal suspension.

Personal - see above. Play with the settings to your heart's content.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Thanks Sinecure. There is one correction, though. The hybrids come with the sport suspension as standard. I'm not sure why - maybe because it's heavier?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Selzini is right - I keep forgetting that. Probably because the only hybrid I've driven is a Sport model.

Stevie, I'm not sure what Eco will do for you in that car - have you looked at the manual to see if it gives a good explanation? Personal is personal - but all you can do (if I recall correctly) is turn ATC on/off and Sport transmission mode on/off.

Again, I'm somewhat hamstrung because I haven't spent a lot of time in all the variations of the car. We have two demos right now - a hybrid RWD sport with Navi and a loaded gasser RWD. (Gosh, I love calling them gassers).

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Selzini is right - I keep forgetting that. Probably because the only hybrid I've driven is a Sport model.

Stevie, I'm not sure what Eco will do for you in that car - have you looked at the manual to see if it gives a good explanation? Personal is personal - but all you can do (if I recall correctly) is turn ATC on/off and Sport transmission mode on/off.
And steering modes

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
No Aggie. No steering mode changes on a car that doesn't have Direct Adaptive Steering. If I read Stevie's post correctly, he has Premium Nav only. So no DAS.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I'm glad someone finally mentioned one of the instruction videos, besides me. With all the threads concerning issues(such as how to connect a phone), I can't help but wonder how many people have seen the videos. For two reasons, I can't offer advice:

1) I don't have my car yet
and
2) I have no idea how any of this stuff works and I won't be using just
about all of it.

I have downloaded 40 of the videos to my "Favorites" list, and will delete a lot of them, since they are very basic. However, there are others which are very detailed about procedures, such as how to connect a phone, how to operate the audio system, the many things you can do with the NAV, etc. I heartily recommend that people watch them, even if you are very knowledgeable and experienced with those things. I obviously don't know, but I would think that viewing these videos might save some headaches.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I obviously don't know, but I would think that viewing these videos might save some headaches.
In my 50+ years, I've come to learn that some people like to be miserable and thrive on complaining. Thanks for posting the videos. As a wise man once said "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink".

Lead on...

Reactions: tt_45

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks SimpsonTide for that video link. I didn't realize they had such detailed videos posted. Looks like I will be spending some time with the Infiniti YouTube channel this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.