Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to make a decision within a week (first payment due)...

Do I stay with the standard warranty? Or take the extended warranty - 8-yr/96k for the additional $2200 tagged onto the loan?

Also, the dealership told me that the 8 year extended plan would also extend the 4 year bumper to bumper portion to the 8 years (not just the PT warranty). I'm not sure if that was part was a fib or not...

Does anyone have experience with this and whether or not it's worth the cost?

Things to take into account in my situation:
1. I will be driving less than 10k a year on this vehicle
2. The deductible in the extended warranty period is $100

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I would be on the fence since all the electronics are probably new.
And then also if you have NAV and the TECH package.

At least you probably don't have to worry about the drive train much.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been debating this as well. Not too worried about the powertrain. The electronics is what tends to break down these days. I don't know that there is good data on how well these types of gadgets (found in Q50) fare 7-8 years later since they are all fairly new in vehicles. How much would it cost to repair the sonar; what if the intel processor suddlenly got fried? Those would be costly to replace... but on the other hand it's not uncommon to find someone with an old 386 PC in their basement that still works flawlessly... It's a gamble.

Regardless, here is the best pricing I've found for extended warranty. These prices are significantly less than what I was quoted at my dealership, so I didn't get one yet. I was told you have 6 months/6000 miles to make decision. And yes, I was told it's a bumper to bumper policy, same as the original warranty - but if you read the booklet that comes with it, it does not appear as comprehensive as the bumper to bumper policy.

$0 Ded
72mo/82k=$1109
84mo/100k=$1629
84mo/120k=$1709
96mo/100k=$1799
96mo/120k=$2029

$100 Ded
72mo/82k=$899
84mo/100k=$1289
84mo/120k=$1439
96mo/100k=$1369
96mo/120k=$1619

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
$0 Ded
72mo/82k=$1109
84mo/100k=$1629
84mo/120k=$1709
96mo/100k=$1799
96mo/120k=$2029

$100 Ded
72mo/82k=$899
84mo/100k=$1289
84mo/120k=$1439
96mo/100k=$1369
96mo/120k=$1619
Where did these quotes come from??

For the $100 deductible 96mo/100k @ $1369 I think I would.

Considering your buying a 40k-50k car, it seems like a good deal to get your warranty covered for 8 years at that price.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got my extended warranty from Courtney Mutema at Scottsdale Infiniti. I think that's where those prices came from and she's great to work with. The whole process was done over the phone and I saved a TON over what my dealer was offering, even with all of the haggling.

I';m not concerned about the drivetrain either but the last thing I need is the in touch screen or something failing after the factory warranty expires.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
VPP gets a discount on warranty?
I would just think it would be the same across the board.
yes, no deductible, $100 off from price you guys got:;)
72mo/82k EX-WRTNY $ 1,000 84mo/100k EX-WRTNY $ 1,520 96mo/100k EX-WRTNY $ 1,699

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I was told VPP pricing for extended warranty as 20% off the regular price. Not anywhere close to pricing I posted above, which is from dealership in Arizona. I haven't purchased it yet, but thinking about it.

CVIPGO, your dealership beats those prices by $100?
yes... :cool:

·
Registered
982 Posts
You can always wait until the 4 years are up to get extended warranty.

On my G coupe, I waited until 4 years just to see if the car would need extended warranty. When my factory warranty was close to being up, I got a quote for the extended warranty.

I saved hundreds by waiting. I got an additional 4 years for $780. And it paid for itself within the first 3 months.

(my compression rod bushings were shot, and my rear bushing was leaking oil). Saved me over 2 grand.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You can always wait until the 4 years are up to get extended warranty.

I saved hundreds by waiting. I got an additional 4 years for $780. And it paid for itself within the first 3 months.
I went ahead and got the warranty. If you wait, you may have to pay an inspection fee (to prove the car doesn't already have some damage/issue). I was told the inspection is by a certified mechanic and costs a couple hundred. I doubt it will be that much - ask your dealership for exact numbers.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I went ahead and got the warranty. If you wait, you may have to pay an inspection fee (to prove the car doesn't already have some damage/issue). I was told the inspection is by a certified mechanic and costs a couple hundred. I doubt it will be that much - ask your dealership for exact numbers.
Lol, infiniti provides free multi point inspection. I only took my G to infiniti for oil changes. So they have all the records on file.

I use the multi point inspection to qualify formthe extended warranty.

How much did u pay?

·
Registered
151 Posts
That and I believe the pricing goes up as well. New car pricing is 5k/6 months, whereas "pre-owned" pricing kicks in after that (and I think there are multiple tiers of that as well).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got my extended warranty from Courtney Mutema at Scottsdale Infiniti. I think that's where those prices came from and she's great to work with. The whole process was done over the phone and I saved a TON over what my dealer was offering, even with all of the haggling.

I';m not concerned about the drivetrain either but the last thing I need is the in touch screen or something failing after the factory warranty expires.
So does this mean anyone could call in and get an Infiniti extended warranty for these prices and could be used at any Infiniti dealership?

·
Registered
14 Posts
All right so here are my 2 cents for what ever that is worth. You are more then welcome to buy a dealer extended warranty. However, like everything else in buying a car, do your homework first before going in. You need to see what is the best price you can get for an extended warranty. You can go on the internet and search through companies that specialize in this. You can also check with your car insurance company as they sell products like that as well, even check your big bulk store website like costco or sams or BJs as they sell products like that as well (I know they have car buying services available so possibly also sell warranties too). You can buy one through them or if you prefer, you can go back to the dealership and tell the finance manager the price you can get the warranty for and see if they will come down to match it (if you are set on getting the warranty from the dealer).

·
Registered
151 Posts
So does this mean anyone could call in and get an Infiniti extended warranty for these prices and could be used at any Infiniti dealership?
That is how it worked for me. It was the Infiniti extended warranty and yes, it works at any Infiniti dealership. All of the paperwork was the official stuff and the only thing I had to do was verify personal information, my VIN, and mileage. It was simple because I was still under 5k miles but after a certain point, your car falls in to the pre-owned tier and must also pass an inspection.

I tried getting the dealerships here to match the pricing offered by Courtney and none of them would even come close (including when I was actually buying the car). Did some analysis on the Geico plan vs some third party vendors and the convenience + price of the Infiniti plan offered by Courtney was good enough for me. Honestly, I found some third party places that offered it for less but I have gone through those before and some of them not all that they're cracked up to be.

I used a credit card as it protects you against many fraudulent situations, including false advertising, plus you get the rewards. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
All right so here are my 2 cents for what ever that is worth. You are more then welcome to buy a dealer extended warranty. However, like everything else in buying a car, do your homework first before going in. You need to see what is the best price you can get for an extended warranty. You can go on the internet and search through companies that specialize in this. You can also check with your car insurance company as they sell products like that as well, even check your big bulk store website like costco or sams or BJs as they sell products like that as well (I know they have car buying services available so possibly also sell warranties too). You can buy one through them or if you prefer, you can go back to the dealership and tell the finance manager the price you can get the warranty for and see if they will come down to match it (if you are set on getting the warranty from the dealer).
Make sure you read the fine print on third-party warranties. Some require the car to be taken to thier certified mechanic (not necessarily Infiniti) before they agree to provide coverage. Not a convenient option if your car is broken down by the side of the road. And many warranty companies are fly by night outfits that may not be around 4 years from now. At least with Infiniti, you know how you deal with and know they will be around.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.