Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My period for buying the extended warranty is almost up and I am thinking that maybe I should buy it since there are so many quirky things with the car requiring software updates.

What decisions have you all made regarding the extended warranty and why?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Buying extended warranty just for software problems doesn't make sense because most of extended warranties only cover hardware and mechanical problems.
Extended warranty only becomes active after factory warranty expires (4 yr 50K miles).

·
Registered
444 Posts
I usually don't buy them. Cars are so reliable its just a waste of money. However, because of 'in-touch' my wife said i had to. It wasn't an option. Just don't pay more than 1200 for it. The in-touch system is completely in scope of the extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
cvipgo is wrong on this one. Assuming it is an Infiniti extended warranty, it will cover electronics. He's not completely wrong though, some of the electronics are notably NOT part of a Certified Pre-Owned warranty.

I'm confused why you can't buy the extension after 6K miles. Usually you can buy it at any time while your car is still within its original factory warranty. However, the cost does go up as the mileage/age of the car increases (sort of like how life insurance gets more expensive as you get older).

I'd probably buy the extended warranty for this car if I were going to keep it past its original warranty. So many electronics that will be very expensive to fix in 4.5 years. Plus, an extended warranty can be refunded on a pro-rata basis if you don't keep the car for the full term of the warranty - most can also be transferred to a new owner if you choose to use it as a sweetener if/when you sell the car. That said, if you trade in a car with an extended warranty that's still in force, ask about getting the pro-rata refund. Because I'd be very surprised if the dealer passes along your extended warranty to the next owner when they can make money selling him one themselves.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Read the terms of extended warranty before buying it. Software is not electronic hardware, sales people need to know that. Extended warranty don't cover software, trims etc go check it for yourself, please.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Software updates that improves the performance of the inTouch system should be free. Phone companies don't charge for software updates, not even Greedy Apple.

If not, it should and the Warranty policy should be updated since this type of stuff is new for cars.

Since Dealerships are providing updates for "intouch, enform, etc etc", it probably is covered under warranty or for as long as they continue to make update for the model of the car.

It's not like a Navigation software update where they have to pay for the maps. Android is free. And Infiniti really needs to upgrade to KitKat.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Software updates that improves the performance of the inTouch system should be free. Phone companies don't charge for software updates, not even Greedy Apple.
If not, it should and the Warranty policy should be updated since this type of stuff is new for cars.
Since Dealerships are providing updates for "intouch, enform, etc etc", it probably is covered under warranty or for as long as they continue to make update for the model of the car.
It's not like a Navigation software update where they have to pay for the maps. Android is free. And Infiniti really needs to upgrade to KitKat.
True, I get my out of warranty Infiniti's software update (besides Nav) for Free.

I had posted all pages of extended warrant a while back If you do a search the forum on Extended warranty, you will find all the pages and details.
First hing to do is read your booklet on the Infiniti Warranty. Same applies to Extended Warranty.

WHO IS THE WARRANTOR: Infiniti1 warrants all parts of your 2014 Infiniti vehicle supplied by Infiniti, except for those listed under the caption “WHAT IS NOT COVERED.”

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. It is the Infiniti extended protection plan and you can buy it after 6k miles but as the salesperson stated it does get more expensive. The brochure that I have says that it protects all the usual hardware items like engine, brakes, steering, etc but it also includes audio/video/navigation. The list of covered items still seems like hardware (speaker, amplifier, integrated display assy). So the person who bought the warranty because of Intouch is on to something. I think the decision hinges on how confident you are in the hardware supporting InTouch given how new it is.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses. It is the Infiniti extended protection plan and you can buy it after 6k miles but as the salesperson stated it does get more expensive. The brochure that I have says that it protects all the usual hardware items like engine, brakes, steering, etc but it also includes audio/video/navigation. The list of covered items still seems like hardware (speaker, amplifier, integrated display assy). So the person who bought the warranty because of Intouch is on to something. I think the decision hinges on how confident you are in the hardware supporting InTouch given how new it is.
Mostly hardware is fine (IMO), Infiniti will continue to provide software updated free at least for next 4 years/60k miles. The extended warranty on hardware as you mention gets active only after the mfg (infiniti) warranty expires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.