Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
The Acura TL is one of those cars that I can't help but grin at when I see it. It has such a distinct design to it where it's immediately recognizable or at least, triggers glances from onlookers trying to figure out what it is.

I'm a fan of the TL design, even before they remodeled the "beak" of the car. However, with that said, the front end of the TL remains to be its weakest aspect to me, which is something the Q50 definitely has the advantage in. From the side, I prefer the waterfall curves and lines of the Q50 over the more boxy TL too. I do however like the "beaky" trunk lip and design of the rear fascia of the TL and I do like the shapes of the exhaust. The TL's taillight design however leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I didn't like the new TL at first. I was always a fan of the 3rd generation TL.
I liked the front end of this TL more and especially love the rear end.

The new TL is growing on me quite a bit though. My biggest complaint with the older TL was that it was FWD. The new AWD was great when I test drove it. And I'm starting to really like the newer generation TLs. Especially with a aero kit. Without it.. It looks too round for my liking.

I would still never buy one though. Still prefer the more mature styling on the Q50 and G37.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There will be a new TL (probably called the TLX) early next year. Acura is slow getting this car out. I think it will be playing catch up to the Q50 and other cars redesigned this year. I like the Q50 styling better than the new TL. The new RLX isn't very adventurous. They definitely played it safe. Hope they don't do the same with the TLX.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Acura is going to have to do something big with the TLX to catch up with the others.

They better keep that 6 speed. And more power is always welcome.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Acura has been getting a lot of flack lately, especially with the ILX. I hope they do a good job with TLX. We need to start seeing them move more on the NSX and Integra though to get me passionate about them again.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Acura seriously needs to step up their design game for me to even consider them again ... There is no way I should HAVE to spend additional money to get body colored parts just to make a brand new car look halfway decent ...

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I don't even think people in the market for the Q50 consider Acura a contender anymore. Their 4th gen TL just lost it, with that beak and the bland styling. 3rd gen TL is still my favorite, particularly the S with the smoked tails and rims. Honda is a stronger brand at this point because they played it safe. Neither marque has a halo car anymore though, and hasn't for quite some time.

It's funny how companies rise and fall, kinda at random. I think the Q50 is part of a big rise for Infiniti, just like when the same guy started running Audi 10 years ago. Now they're a big player in the market. Before they were considered mediocre, slightly reworked VW's. Personally I still don't like Audi due to their sad engine offerings and front wheel drive, but they clean house in Europe and other places where gas is crazy expensive and people don't drive far.

Also, who would have predicted that Cadillac could have made such a huge U-turn? In the 80's and 90's they were soft, floaty, pokey cars to get grandma and grandpa to church. Once in awhile they got a decent engine but due to the old fart demographic, nobody respected any performance they threw at them. Buick is the same way now and is trying to shrug off the image of the perfect choice for retirees.

I guess ultimately it comes down to a perfect fusion of solid design, performance, and value, along with a deep understanding of what buyers are going to want 4-5 years out.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
One last thing, this trend of reflectors on the lower rear bumper needs to go. It's just ugly and it's creeping into designs from most manufacturers now.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I like the TL for its sharp edge lines it works and is still slowly growing on me but I just like the rounder looks on the Q50. It really comes don to personal preference some might say the newer TL might look better but the argument can be limitless.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I like the TL for its sharp edge lines it works and is still slowly growing on me but I just like the rounder looks on the Q50. It really comes don to personal preference some might say the newer TL might look better but the argument can be limitless.
I agree the argument would be limitless but that's just the point this car has been on the market for 5 model years already and it is "still growing on you" it just missed all the styling cues and I believe it cost Acura sales in the short and long Term...

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is that grill. Acura really killed the brand with that grill. It is JUST now growing on people. 5 years too late like Gtoq mentioned.

I only like the new TL in black with the OEM lip kit.
I think they call it a "Beak" style grille, thought it looked horrible when I first saw it but like with majority of people, it's starting to grow on me 5 years later!

Beak on the grille when blacked out looks amazing IMO and a good way to make it look good again...kinda like how the front bar on the Nissan GT-R is black, if it was the same color as the body, it would look ugly!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Its sad how only now 5 years later that every one is only "starting" to like the Acura TL for what it is. But the TL usually does better on the pre-owned market anyways. At first the cost is pretty high to consider and then when it comes time off lease people start to take advantage of the depreciation in value. And that is really when they start complimenting it.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I think the shield shaped grill works on the Acura but the design was too fast for its time. Only now people are complimenting it. to me now the 2004-2009 looks dated, it still looks good but the overall look is fading. I still like that generation a lot but slowly the 09+ is moving on up.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I don't think the TL is a very good value brand new to be honest. As an off lease car it's a good value.
There is only one way to rock the new TL.

Black and slammed

Every other way just isn't as cool :cool:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I don't think the TL is a very good value brand new to be honest. As an off lease car it's a good value.
There is only one way to rock the new TL.

Black and slammed

Every other way just isn't as cool :cool:
It still isn't good looking to me ... But I guess different strokes for different folks;)

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I don't like that model TL at all. It lost the hard crease (BMW style) running down the side and that goofy curve up over the front wheel doesn't flow properly either. Just a crap design.

From the front bumper to just behind the rear doors, in profile, you can't tell this car from about 15 others. Not real sure the new NSX will fare much better. What I've seen doesn't look impressive or timeless. The older NSX still puts a smile on my face every time I see it, it's a classic wedge shape and many aspects of it are a big turn on. Oh how I wish the Acura of old (NSX, Integra) would resurface in some meaningful way.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
The old designs def catch my eye. I'm not a fan of the new Acura designs by any means but I was just saying if I was forced to own the new TL the only way I'd rock it is in black with the OEM lip kit and lowered.

The way it comes from Acura is fugly. I'm still partial to the previous generation TL.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts