Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
You can definitely see some similarities in the two. The curves and shapes have slight similarities. The Q50 is of course rounder like many other comparisons. I like the dual tip exhaust on the Q50 over the single sided on the BMW though.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I never liked the exterior of the 3-Series.....up until the recent 2012+ redesign. Before that, I thought the BMW still looked like it belonged in the 90's. But now, they added a little bit more style and presence to the rear and front fascias. They remodeled the hood, grill, and tail lights, and now it looks much more like it's a car that's worth what it is.

This is tough to compare because they are so different. Right off the bat, BMW has some advantage here purely because it has a very recognizable and trademark design that keeps its perception high. It does look a lot more aerodynamic and sporty than it did before and a lot more luxurious now. I will say that I prefer the side profile and the rear of the Q50 over the 3-Series. I'd say everything else between the two are equal.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well one thing is for sure. Infiniti detailers do a better job than BMW :D:p
Based off of what? The two images above?

If you're basing this off of the images above, you have to consider the lighting around the vehicle. The BMW is outside in the sun which wouldn't make the vehicle "pop" as much. But any vehicle under the typical auto show lighting will look just as good as the infiniti pictured above.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Based off of what? The two images above?

If you're basing this off of the images above, you have to consider the lighting around the vehicle. The BMW is outside in the sun which wouldn't make the vehicle "pop" as much. But any vehicle under the typical auto show lighting will look just as good as the infiniti pictured above.
I didn't want to say it, but you're very right. :p

I was trying to just look at them from a design perspective--notso much their "shininess" :D

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
The paint makes the difference. In these pics the Q is the winner thanks to the depth of the metallic paint. You get subtle shades at key lines and creases. The BMW is in Hellrot (German for dark red) which is flat and nonmetallic. I think every q50 color offered will be this pretty because only black obsidian is similarly flat. Even the white color is pearl I believe.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
From the photo I prefer the Infiniti red. The BMW red looks like a 1 stage red with no pearl in it.
Agreed. It's also worth noting that CCD sensors in digital cameras (and LCD/LED displays) are notoriously bad at capturing and displaying these types of reds. Since the color extends into the near-infrared, it gets overexposed in the CCD of the camera. It can be corrected in the camera, but it's hard to fix after the shot has been taken.

Short answer, red is notoriously hard to photograph with digital cameras.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Curious what the Infiniti Q50 would look like with the red on the BMW (anyone know what specific color?). Doesn't seem like Infiniti has experimented with reds as deep as the one on the BMW.
I think that photo has too much light in it but that particular red for the BMW I find is too vibrant and sporty for an Infiniti maybe a nissan though. The darker red is more of a mature look which is suitable for the Q50.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I think that photo has too much light in it but that particular red for the BMW I find is too vibrant and sporty for an Infiniti maybe a nissan though. The darker red is more of a mature look which is suitable for the Q50.
For the sedan, yeah. But imagine an IPL Q60 in this color. Should look great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i will say that i dislike the new F30 3-series. I'm by no means a BMW hater, infact i love their cars, but mostly the last gen.

To me the F30 has grown seriously fat. My friend has one and the other day i parked next to him in my G sedan and it seems like his car is a full class bigger, almost feels like i parked my car next to a 5 series.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
To me, the most perfect form of the 3 series was the 2002-2006 M3. The short nose, the stubby rear, the low stance, the whole thing was just perfectly balanced. It had a nice 90's meets 2000's vibe to it, with a blend of hard creases and flowing lines. Even the factory rims looked great. Also it was the last generation of the much-vaunted inline 6 that everyone raved about for its tractability and power delivery. The Toyota Supra and older IS300's know about a balanced inline 6. :)

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
i will say that i dislike the new F30 3-series. I'm by no means a BMW hater, infact i love their cars, but mostly the last gen.

To me the F30 has grown seriously fat. My friend has one and the other day i parked next to him in my G sedan and it seems like his car is a full class bigger, almost feels like i parked my car next to a 5 series.
Well, people loove to complain about a car that doesn't have enough interior space... :D

The reality is, people are getting bigger and heavier, and I think it was a pretty good decision killing two birds with one stone making the car larger..and to me, the new 3-series is the best looking it's been in a very long time, both inside and out--but that's just me and I'm not even the biggest fan of the BMW design language in general.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts