Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Q50 RS400
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wheels have started turning to 'laying the ground work' for the future. Starting at the nose, with the most obvious AMS heat exchanger.

While the front end is off, though, it makes sense (dollars and cents...flag time) to add aftermarket oil and transmission cooler, yes?

Also, the radiator is, obviously up there. Is it good enough? ...or aftermarket that too? I feel like it's piling on, cash wise, to replace that if it works just fine. I'm getting the big heatvexchanger and it does cover the entire radiator, so...

Z1 LSD is next, first true performance enhancement...then go from there. The goal is 500-525 daily driver horsepower in a hot state - Texas.

Gonna be on the wife's **** list with every dollar spent, so might as well get rolling with all this. Ha

TY

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
FNG?

Yes, stupid questions...

LITFA.

Edit...just read your info...midlife crisis.

In that case, go all out. Spend 75 large and have something to talk about.

Reactions: RaceCar

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used the same acronym when I first introduced myself here, and there was the same confusion lol. Stands for “F***in New Guy”

Reactions: RaceCar and jodedor

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,857 Posts
Or i could commit my life to being a dick on car forums.

Always goos to jace choices. Maybe Ill do both. 🖕🏽
I wouldn't recommend doing that.

·
Premium Member
2021 Q50 RS400
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't recommend doing that.
Deal with your boy. Im not the problem, unless i posted in the wrong section. In which case, my apologies.

It's been made really clear, reading the more technical posts here, that i dont know ****. No reason for me to screw up the -base to my pyramid.' Thought i would ask the masses.

Back in my hole. Admin please delete if violation of forum rules. 🤙

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,857 Posts
Deal with your boy. Im not the problem, unless i posted in the wrong section. In which case, my apologies.

It's been made really clear, reading the more technical posts here, that i dont know ****. No reason for me to screw up the -base to my pyramid.' Thought i would ask the masses.

Back in my hole. Admin please delete if violation of forum rules. 🤙
You didn't post in the wrong section and I don't get involved in petty squabbles until I see profanity come out. That's when I step in. jodedor is not "my boy" anymore than you are. I agree his post was somewhat antagonistic and I would hope in the future jodedor will act more accommodating to newer members.

Peace out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The wheels have started turning to 'laying the ground work' for the future. Starting at the nose, with the most obvious AMS heat exchanger.

While the front end is off, though, it makes sense (dollars and cents...flag time) to add aftermarket oil and transmission cooler, yes?

Also, the radiator is, obviously up there. Is it good enough? ...or aftermarket that too? I feel like it's piling on, cash wise, to replace that if it works just fine. I'm getting the big heatvexchanger and it does cover the entire radiator, so...

Z1 LSD is next, first true performance enhancement...then go from there. The goal is 500-525 daily driver horsepower in a hot state - Texas.

Gonna be on the wife's **** list with every dollar spent, so might as well get rolling with all this. Ha

TY
I think the heat exchanger and Z1 LSD are definitely worthwhile upgrades for a Q50. Even with 500hp, the stock radiator and oil cooler should work just fine, so I’d spend that money on other parts instead. A better place to allocate those funds would likely be toward a catback exhaust and downpipes. Definitely look into adding an oil catch can though. Also, if you haven’t swapped the stock run-flat tires, try to replace them with something with more grip. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2021 Q50 RS400
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the heat exchanger and Z1 LSD are definitely worthwhile upgrades for a Q50. Even with 500hp, the stock radiator and oil cooler should work just fine, so I’d spend that money on other parts instead. A better place to allocate those funds would likely be toward a catback exhaust and downpipes. Definitely look into adding an oil catch can though. Also, if you haven’t swapped the stock run-flat tires, try to replace them with something with more grip. Hope this helps.
Ok great, thanks. Good starting point to learn other stuff. (Googling the purpose of an 'oil catch can' now.)

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Silver Sport Lux RWD
49 Posts
Just know that if your target is 500+ WHP you will need to upgrade components of the fuel system. Along with some of the standard bolt ons (Full Length Down Pipes & Cat-Back Exhaust) Are you planning to only run 93? Or is E85 on the menu?

·
Premium Member
2021 Q50 RS400
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just know that if your target is 500+ WHP you will need to upgrade components of the fuel system. Along with some of the standard bolt ons (Full Length Down Pipes & Cat-Back Exhaust) Are you planning to only run 93? Or is E85 on the menu?
I dont know...either are options, availability of the good stuff, rather over cost, would be the thing.

I dont expect 500 from exhaust and cold air intake, but everything i read is hp=heat and oil is the life blood.

My logic is i can do nothing and just add longevity or add more and have systems in place for support. Just makes sense to keep 'cool and lubricated', as a priority, not an afterthought

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
My logic is i can do nothing and just add longevity or add more and have systems in place for support. Just makes sense to keep 'cool and lubricated', as a priority, not an afterthought
You’re certainly on the right track with this! So, as @3.0Trent said, the stock radiator and oil cooler will serve you well, so spend that money else where on the car. I’d suggest you look into water methanol injection to help keep things cool and clean. It sounds scary, but it’s not.

an oil catch can catches blow by that gets recirculated in your engine. ALL engines have a small amount of blow by. For engines that inject the fuel in the intake manifold, it doesn’t really matter because gas is a solvent and it keeps the intake valves clean. But the VR30 is direct injected, so the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chambers. As such, there’s no cleaning of the intake valves unless you inject water methanol. An oil catch can will trap the oil vapors coming out of the crankcase BEFORE it gets circulated into the head. That will help keep your intake valves cleaner for longer.

welcome to the forum, and don’t let the small amount of cranky people put you off. The vast majority here are helpful and friendly. Even Jodedor has a good side, he’s just rough around the edges.

·
Premium Member
2021 Q50 RS400
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You’re certainly on the right track with this! So, as @3.0Trent said, the stock radiator and oil cooler will serve you well, so spend that money else where on the car. I’d suggest you look into water methanol injection to help keep things cool and clean. It sounds scary, but it’s not.

an oil catch can catches blow by that gets recirculated in your engine. ALL engines have a small amount of blow by. For engines that inject the fuel in the intake manifold, it doesn’t really matter because gas is a solvent and it keeps the intake valves clean. But the VR30 is direct injected, so the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chambers. As such, there’s no cleaning of the intake valves unless you inject water methanol. An oil catch can will trap the oil vapors coming out of the crankcase BEFORE it gets circulated into the head. That will help keep your intake valves cleaner for longer.

welcome to the forum, and don’t let the small amount of cranky people put you off. The vast majority here are helpful and friendly. Even Jodedor has a good side, he’s just rough around the edges.
Wow. That's a lot. Back to google to catch up. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Silver Sport Lux RWD
49 Posts
I dont know...either are options, availability of the good stuff, rather over cost, would be the thing.

I dont expect 500 from exhaust and cold air intake, but everything i read is hp=heat and oil is the life blood.

Nothing wrong with doing things to promote stability and longevity. Just keep in mind either a JB4 or Ecutek will bring out the most of any bolt on to promote more power.

·
Premium Member
2021 Q50 RS400
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

This is good information....which is to say the 'popular mods' are popular for a reason and there IS a breakover point where im burning dollars ro solve no problem.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,643 Posts
This is good information....which is to say the 'popular mods' are popular for a reason and there IS a breakover point where im burning dollars ro solve no problem.

Thanks
My '17 Q60 Red Sport AWD registered 437 WHP & 502 WTQ on a Dynojet AWD dyno back in 2018. Mods at the time - 3" FI Catted DPs, FI 2.5" Resonated CBE, Infiniti-branded AMS HE & Intakes, and a SpecialtyZ Ecutek tune, using a 1.3 bar map on pump gas. Temps were in the 60ish deg F range. Stock injectors, HPFP, and LPFP.

I've since added LW 2-piece BBK, LW driveshaft, LW wheels & tires, and a rear LSD, among other things. These don't add to the power numbers, but my Q has become quicker from a dig, and the handling has improved, given its piggy weight of just over 4k pounds stock.

Fueling mods would help, if just to run E85. If you want big power, than bigger turbos can be sourced from Pure Turbos (Stg 2), R/T Tuning, or Dropbear LLC.

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
854 Posts
Make a budget and plan - my build “just evolved” and I’m sure dollars were waisted here and there, but I love the results! Welcome to your new addiction 😎

1 - 20 of 25 Posts