Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this pic on Instagram from Fast Intentions and noticed the split clamp on the muffler hanger. Not sure if it was something that they started doing on the recent cat back systems or if I was missing them on my install? Seems like a good anti theft device or security measure for if a clamp comes loose to the mid pipe. Thoughts? Information?

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Interesting. I looked at several other posts and didn't see this in any other picture.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,844 Posts
Anyone ever have a hanger come loose without those on? Doesn't seem to be much of a security device if it uses standard hex bolts. Seems unnecessary to me.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Seems like a good anti theft device or security measure for if a clamp comes loose to the mid pipe. Thoughts? Information?
During my last conversations with Kevin, when I had a bracket hanger weld issue, he mentioned FI had received a few reports of the mufflers getting stolen, apparently for SS scrap value. He didn't convey (at that time) what their final solution was, but apparently now we know!

Sounds like thieves have expanded their horizons beyond the catalytic converters.

Glad my Q is garaged.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of the anti theft aspect as well. I will probably get a couple of clamps for my system when I get my car out of storage this spring.

Thanks for the replies guys! (y) :)

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,844 Posts
Since FI uses Accuseal clamps, I can see how it would be easy to remove just the muffler section. One would think that if the thieves have the tools to remove the clamp, they'd have a hex wrench set to remove those tiny hanger clamps. Heck, I could gorilla those little clamps off with Vise Grips.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
It's just like wheel locks on most cars - defeatable with the right tools, but potentially prevents theft by amateurs.

Reactions: u1arunit

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
5,248 Posts
If they want to take my $1100 exhaust, take it. Please leave my $3800+ wheels and tires alone!

How about something like this for Cat / Cat Back theft?

Reactions: 17awdQ50P

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Speaking of catalytic converter theft, one benefit of installing FI Catted Full DPs is their location is in the engine compartment, while being able to pass my state's emission test (which they discontinued last year).

Reactions: u1arunit

·
Super Moderator
5,248 Posts
Speaking of catalytic converter theft, one benefit of installing FI Catted Full DPs is their location is in the engine compartment, while being able to pass my state's emission test (which they discontinued last year).
Very true. I'm not sure I could steal my own UDPs, even if given all day!

·
Registered
2020 Infiniti Q50S
41 Posts
My FI cbe came with those split clamps and I installed them but I'm not sure if it would really prevent thieves who are already determined to steal the mufflers from doing so. I suppose it could be a deterrent but all they would really need to do is to unbolt the hanger assembly from the frame in like a minute. Glad I don't live in an area that I'd worry about such a thing however, plus my car stays in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
5,248 Posts
My FI cbe came with those split clamps and I installed them but I'm not sure if it would really prevent thieves who are already determined to steal the mufflers from doing so. I suppose it could be a deterrent but all they would really need to do is to unbolt the hanger assembly from the frame in like a minute. Glad I don't live in an area that I'd worry about such a thing however, plus my car stays in the garage.
You can add an aftermarket or even OEM shock sensor which integrates with the factory alarm. Assuming jacking up a car and removing the exhaust sends a "shock".

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,408 Posts
Trunk monkey baby!

·
Super Moderator
5,248 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport