Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I would bring it to the dealer for best quality. My biggest regret is not having my car fixed there. Still dealing with crappy body work trying to get them to make things right on my car.
The dealer doesn't do this work. They send it to a bodyshop. Best to find the bodyshop they use or you find as a high quality shop and work directly with them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The dealer doesn't do this work. They send it to a bodyshop. Best to find the bodyshop they use or you find as a high quality shop and work directly with them.
Most dealerships have a bodyshop associated with it. It may not be the "Infiniti body shop" but it's the dealerships.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Most dealerships have a bodyshop associated with it. It may not be the "Infiniti body shop" but it's the dealerships.
The bodyshop is almost always an independent business. Sure they have probably setup partnerships with various dealerships to gain business, but by no means are they affiliated with Infiniti.

With my previous car, Infiniti G35, the dealership accidentally messed up the hood alignment. To correct the issue, I brought it to the dealer. I knew they would likely be taking it to a bodyshop. However, I discovered later that the bodyshop they work with was 10 minutes from my house. The dealership is 30-35 minutes from my house. The issue was corrected, but I was annoyed with the inefficiency of having to drive to the dealer and having some other person drive my car back to basically where I live to have the work done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The bodyshop is almost always an independent business. Sure they have probably setup partnerships with various dealerships to gain business, but by no means are they affiliated with Infiniti.

With my previous car, Infiniti G35, the dealership accidentally messed up the hood alignment. To correct the issue, I brought it to the dealer. I knew they would likely be taking it to a bodyshop. However, I discovered later that the bodyshop they work with was 10 minutes from my house. The dealership is 30-35 minutes from my house. The issue was corrected, but I was annoyed with the inefficiency of having to drive to the dealer and having some other person drive my car back to basically where I live to have the work done.
Thats interesting. The two closest Infiniti dealerships to me both have body shops thru the dealership and the dealership I used to work at which was a Subaru/Chevy/Buick/GMC dealership also had a body shop at the dealership.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,639 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on the size of the dealer ownership group, a couple stores versus a couple dozen. My Infiniti dealership is owned by a big multi-brand group that runs it's own branded body shop, glass service, paintless dent repair, and accessory installation facility.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I know when the Dealership I bought my CPO (about 30 minutes north) offered to reshoot my hood because I found a defect shortly after buying that they took it to a body shop that they always use about 40 minutes away back towards my house. They did a great job. They at least gave me a loaner until it was ready. I thought that was impressive for buying a used car from them.

Not that any cares. Some probably still think I paid too much, but there was no other damage to my car other than the fender, so they reduced the quote to an even $2k. Be getting it back Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I know when the Dealership I bought my CPO (about 30 minutes north) offered to reshoot my hood because I found a defect shortly after buying that they took it to a body shop that they always use about 40 minutes away back towards my house. They did a great job. They at least gave me a loaner until it was ready. I thought that was impressive for buying a used car from them.

Not that any cares. Some probably still think I paid too much, but there was no other damage to my car other than the fender, so they reduced the quote to an even $2k. Be getting it back Tuesday.
Did you carefully check the edge of the hood and door to make sure there wasn't contact that may have cracked the paint and then the fender sprung back a bit showing a gap?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on the size of the dealer ownership group, a couple stores versus a couple dozen. My Infiniti dealership is owned by a big multi-brand group that runs it's own branded body shop, glass service, paintless dent repair, and accessory installation facility.
Yes. And these other businesses are not affiliated with Infiniti (the manufacturer), but are part of the franchise owner's businesses.

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Did you carefully check the edge of the hood and door to make sure there wasn't contact that may have cracked the paint and then the fender sprung back a bit showing a gap?
They did and confirmed there was no other damage. But they still need to blend the paint to the hood and door anyways, right?

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
They did and confirmed there was no other damage. But they still need to blend the paint to the hood and door anyways, right?
Good body shops usually do. I've been told it is virtually a requirement on silver and gray cars to get them to look right.

I did have just a door repainted on a blue car a few years ago with the understanding that it might create a visual issue. The car was 10 years old and I was paying out of pocket. It turned out acceptable.

When you get the car back, check EVERYTHING before you drive away. Check for sanding marks showing through the paint, check for overspray on areas where paint shouldn't be, check that the panel gaps are consistent from one end of the panel to the other, view the car from a distance to see if you can notice any color variation, and check to make sure the placement of the fender emblems matches from side to side. A good body man who is not having to cut corners or is not rushed should be able to make the repair indistinguishable from a new car.

Reactions: Led Zappa
21 - 30 of 30 Posts