Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting in a Q50 base loaner car now as I wait for my Q50S to get its InTouch update. I'm shocked at the drastic difference in the overall Q50 "feel". I'll use the word "underwhelming" to describe the driving experience. First, I immediately notice a wholly different steering wheel feel. Not sure why I was hoping my loaner would offer the DAS, but I've gotten so used to it and actually am one of its fans. However, I'm almost inclined to say that the steering on this car is off; I've even put it in Sport mode but the steering still seems to require more turning of the wheel in order to get the wheels to go where you want them to--if that makes sense? I wonder if anyone else can speak of a similar personal experience with the difference in steering? My G's steering did not perform in such a fragile manner, so it could possibly just be this car? I'll ask the tech about it. Regardless, I'm glad I got the Sport trim w/ the 19s. I love the way my car handles.

Also, this model does not have Nav; it's so pointless to see a giant analog clock on the top screen (that isn't even that cool looking :(). I feel like it's a waste of space.
Electronics Multimedia Vehicle Car Technology

Few other thoughts:
-The sound system is not bad actually; though, it's not nearly as impressive as the 14-speaker system.
-Was curious how the leatherette was since I've heard some mixed opinions abt it. Let's just say that after being used to true leather Infiniti seats, this is noticeably different material quality in both look & feel. Not bad; just clearly not leather IMO.
-The Kacchu trim is preferred by some, but the optional wood trim definitely elevates the cabin appeal in my view.

Now, I recognize the bare bones trim is not supposed to be the best, but I just wanted to offer some personal feedback on my experience with it. No offense to anyone who has the Q50 base; it is a nice car. It just makes me better understand why the professional reviews can vary so drastically simply due to trim & package options.

Update: After driving on the loaner for a while, I think I've just gotten so used to the precise steering of the DAS that the conventional steering just feels a bit unusual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
289 Posts
I really didn't need to read that!!! :( I have the q50 awd premium. I have mentioned numerous times that the feel of the g37 was better (IMHO). The steering of the q50 non DAS seems responsive enough, I just prefer a stiffer suspension (heavier feel). Anyway it's a lease and coming from an '06 maxima it's a vast improvement!!

Btw, I kinda like the clock, doesn't take the place of a true analog, but it's cool. I have a smartphone for Nav features, didn't need to spend an additional 1400 on something I would rarely use.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Sitting in a Q50 base loaner car now as I wait for my Q50S to get its InTouch update. I'm shocked at the drastic difference in the overall Q50 "feel". I'll use the word "underwhelming" to describe the driving experience. First, I immediately notice a wholly different steering wheel feel. Not sure why I was hoping my loaner would offer the DAS, but I've gotten so used to it and actually am one of its fans. However, I'm almost inclined to say that the steering on this car is off; I've even put it in Sport mode but the steering still seems to require more turning of the wheel in order to get the wheels to go where you want them to--if that makes sense? I wonder if anyone else can speak of a similar personal experience with the difference in steering? My G's steering did not perform in such a fragile manner, so it could possibly just be this car? I'll ask the tech about it. Regardless, I'm glad I got the Sport trim w/ the 19s. I love the way my car handles.

Also, this model does not have Nav; it's so pointless to see a giant analog clock on the top screen (that isn't even that cool looking :(). I feel like it's a waste of space.
View attachment 10026

Few other thoughts:
-The sound system is not bad actually; though, it's not nearly as impressive as the 14-speaker system.
-Was curious how the leatherette was since I've heard some mixed opinions abt it. Let's just say that after being used to true leather Infiniti seats, this is noticeably different material quality in both look & feel. Not bad; just clearly not leather IMO.
-The Kacchu trim is preferred by some, but the optional wood trim definitely elevates the cabin appeal in my view.

Now, I recognize the bare bones trim is not supposed to be the best, but I just wanted to offer some personal feedback on my experience with it. No offense to anyone who has the Q50 base; it is a nice car. It just makes me better understand why the professional reviews can vary so drastically simply due to trim & package options.

Update: After driving on the loaner for a while, I think I've just gotten so used to the precise steering of the DAS that the conventional steering just feels a bit unusual.
I had two Q50 loaners )one base (no frills) and other premium (no sport), nav and I agree with your feel and opinion. I am used sports from G35 to FX45 and G37 Convertible so for me Q50H-Sport was a natural selection and I think there's a difference in G37S convertible and Q50H-Sport but they both are fun to drive. Both have different character. DAS is not that bad as so my experts have complained. I still think Q50Sport sedan is good or better than anything out their in class and price. (period).

It is funny how something we are used to becomes the normal feel.
It's called spoiled humans.;)

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really didn't need to read that!!! :( I have the q50 awd premium. I have mentioned numerous times that the feel of the g37 was better (IMHO). The steering of the q50 non DAS seems responsive enough, I just prefer a stiffer suspension (heavier feel). Anyway it's a lease and coming from an '06 maxima it's a vast improvement!!

Btw, I kinda like the clock, doesn't take the place of a true analog, but it's cool. I have a smartphone for Nav features, didn't need to spend an additional 1400 on something I would rarely use.
I totally agree with you. No need to spend $ on features that won't be added value for your driving.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lol. Funny thing. I just realized I driven on plenty of curves (> 60 mph, yah crazy) in my maxima! Not that I plan on doin that often in the current car, but sport or non-sport it handles well enough for daily driving! :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
They gave me an EX35 loaner when I took my car in for the update, and the first thing I noticed was how heavy the steering felt at low speeds, though it felt OK at speed. Just goes to show how spoiled I've gotten from the variable effort steering the DAS provides.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm actually picking up my base Q50 AWD this week. When I drove the base back to back with a car equipped with DAS, I like the standard hydraulic steering feel much better. But then when I got back into my G37S 6MT for the drive home, I realized that no current Q50 will have the same steering feel.

The only reason I'm jumping on a base right now is the lease deal offered. Using VPP-A plan and a 24mo term with 12k mi/yr, I am under $300 monthly payment. Not to mention my dealer is eating the last 2 payments of my current lease.

My plan is that there will be a turbo 4cyl Q50 with manual transmission available in 2 years when my lease ends. If not, then hopefully I can score a RWD Sport model for decent lease payment.

My only concerns with the base model are losing the heated seat option, and the cheap leatherette. The material feels extremely thin, and could possibly rip/tear with too much stress. This is possible since I will have 2 child seats in the back. Oh well, thats what warranty is for ;-)

·
Registered
853 Posts
There is a lot of differences between a base and loaded. I was surprised when I drove a loaner base just how different it is. The seat/wheel doesn't move when you get in. Seat belt doesn't tighten up on you. Just the little things you get so used to.

Driving a base model makes you really appreciate the DAS, doesn't it? :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
The DAS option isn't for everyone, and it's too bad that Infiniti is trying to market different buyers with this approach. I understand not everyone is a weekend racer, but the steering/handling of the G series was one of the best attributes.

The base model of the Q50 is still much better equipped than a base model 328. LED headlights for example, are not even an option on the 3 series yet. The HID option for BMW is $1k. Rear camera is also another major standard feature that most other car companies offer as part of an expensive technology package.

Any way you slice it, the Q50 is a better value than other cars in the class.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Before i traded in my 2010 G37 sedan non sport w/nav, I thought it was the best thing on wheels. Now that I've gotten my q50s with all the bells and whistles, I see i was truly mistaken. Dont get me wrong, i loved my g37, but my q50 is on another level. The nav is better, the luxury feel is better, the curb appeal is alot better as well. Not to mention this car is just as fast and agile as the g37 with features that give you that extra boost of control and confidence during spirited driving. I get soooo many compliments on my q50. After driving the Q50 and getting used to the DAS, I really don't care to drive the g37 again. This car has truly spoiled me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Before i traded in my 2010 G37 sedan non sport w/nav, I thought it was the best thing on wheels. Now that I've gotten my q50s with all the bells and whistles, I see i was truly mistaken. Dont get me wrong, i loved my g37, but my q50 is on another level. The nav is better, the luxury feel is better, the curb appeal is alot better as well. Not to mention this car is just as fast and agile as the g37 with features that give you that extra boost of control and confidence during spirited driving. I get soooo many compliments on my q50. After driving the Q50 and getting used to the DAS, I really don't care to drive the g37 again. This car has truly spoiled me.

Bingo!! Except I traded in a 2010 IS350..

·
Registered
853 Posts
The DAS option isn't for everyone, and it's too bad that Infiniti is trying to market different buyers with this approach. I understand not everyone is a weekend racer, but the steering/handling of the G series was one of the best attributes.

The base model of the Q50 is still much better equipped than a base model 328. LED headlights for example, are not even an option on the 3 series yet. The HID option for BMW is $1k. Rear camera is also another major standard feature that most other car companies offer as part of an expensive technology package.

Any way you slice it, the Q50 is a better value than other cars in the class.
I know this won't be a popular opinion here, but I would take a loaded turbo Optima or Sonata over a base Q50 (or 328) without thinking twice - and I'd save $8k+.

If that means buying a car "below" the class of the Q50, no problem. But I don't personally consider the base Q50 a higher class car. It's just way too basic, poorly equipped compared to cheaper cars, and missing the luxury touches that make it a luxury sedan.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I know this won't be a popular opinion here, but I would take a loaded turbo Optima or Sonata over a base Q50 (or 328) without thinking twice - and I'd save $8k+.

If that means buying a car "below" the class of the Q50, no problem. But I don't personally consider the base Q50 a higher class car. It's just way too basic, poorly equipped compared to cheaper cars, and missing the luxury touches that make it a luxury sedan.
I thought the Q50 was more of a luxury-sports sedan (slight emphasis on sport)? Aside from the run flat tires, it's the same as the praise-worthy G37 (in a different shell, with a more refined drive-train)... To each his own, I guess it depends on what you're looking for.. Sweet nanny-tech and gadgets and\or a decent commuter with a good track record.

I think either way it's a great car, but Infiniti didn't help with keeping the G37 alive until 2015. On the same lot you had 38-42k G37s sitting next to (starting 36k) Q50s:confused::confused:!!

If they were going for a refresh, why not refresh from the ground up, then introduce the gadgets at a later point? That's the main issue I have with the non-hybrid models.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I thought the Q50 was more of a luxury-sports sedan (slight emphasis on sport)? Aside from the run flat tires, it's the same as the praise-worthy G37 (in a different shell, with a more refined drive-train)... To each his own, I guess it depends on what you're looking for.. Sweet nanny-tech and gadgets and\or a decent commuter with a good track record.

I think either way it's a great car, but Infiniti didn't help with keeping the G37 alive until 2015. On the same lot you had 38-42k G37s sitting next to (starting 36k) Q50s:confused::confused:!!

If they were going for a refresh, why not refresh from the ground up, then introduce the gadgets at a later point? That's the main issue I have with the non-hybrid models.
The Q50 is a great car, but we are talking about a base model. To get similarly equipped to a $29,000 KIA, which is no slouch by the way, you have to spend $45k.

I have a Q50, obviously I like the car, but the base model left me unimpressed.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
The Q50 is a great car, but we are talking about a base model. To get similarly equipped to a $29,000 KIA, which is no slouch by the way, you have to spend $45k.

I have a Q50, obviously I like the car, but the base model left me unimpressed.
But there are those that will drive a car based on the manufacturer's name whether it's fully equipped or not.:cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think that there are few people who buy luxury vehicles that stick to the base model. Why would you get a base model Q50 when you could get a non-luxury vehicle that is fully loaded and therefore would be far more fun to drive and own?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think that there are few people who buy luxury vehicles that stick to the base model. Why would you get a base model Q50 when you could get a non-luxury vehicle that is fully loaded and therefore would be far more fun to drive and own?
You have to realize that 99% (scientific #) don't give a **** about 0-60 times, cornering, blah blah blah. They probably couldn't discern the difference between sport tuned vehicles. So when they see a BMW (or take your pick) badge versus KIA, based on societal norms and Madison ave. marketing which do you think they are going to pick??

I don't fault them if that's how they choose to spend their money so be it, helps keep the economy flowing!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.