Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored and was looking over my window sticker and saw that the final assembly was in Los Angeles. Wasn't this car suppose to be finally assembled in Japan? I'm worried the dealership sold me an executive's demo or a repaired lemon? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I was bored and was looking over my window sticker and saw that the final assembly was in Los Angeles. Wasn't this car suppose to be finally assembled in Japan? I'm worried the dealership sold me an executive's demo or a repaired lemon? Thanks for any input!
Mine was Elizabeth, NJ. It's probably the port of entry.

Reactions: maddsiick and Lunch

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Yeah my final assembly was in Los Angeles too. Its just the port installed option like theNewQ stated.

Reactions: Lunch

·
Registered
324 Posts
There were five demo cars, and they were destroyed before the line went on sale. As in "dumped into a giant shredder" destroyed.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Just a little off topic here:
But I have also been told (don't know if there is truth to it) that the ports are also used to make repairs and body work that may need to be done from the vehicle being damaged on the way over.
So in other words....your car could have some body work repairs done and you not even know about it. :cool:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just a little off topic here:
But I have also been told (don't know if there is truth to it) that the ports are also used to make repairs and body work that may need to be done from the vehicle being damaged on the way over.
So in other words....your car could have some body work repairs done and you not even know about it. :cool:
Untrue, at least as far as info Infiniti is concerned. If a vehicle arrives with two or more defects it is destroyed. The legal issues of selling a repaired new car are more expensive than shredding it and writing off the loss.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ports are used by car importers to do a final inspection, add accessories and repair damage. When I sold VWs in NJ I went to the Port of Delaware several times and saw this first-hand. They have a complete body shop as well as mechanical areas.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Untrue, at least as far as info Infiniti is concerned. If a vehicle arrives with two or more defects it is destroyed. The legal issues of selling a repaired new car are more expensive than shredding it and writing off the loss.
I can BS on this one. No way in **** a greedy corporation would be as wasteful as this. At the very least, they would send it off to a collision test.

But most likely repaired and sold as new.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Where do you get this information from? It could be true but why not selling it as a defect car?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I can BS on this one. No way in **** a greedy corporation would be as wasteful as this. At the very least, they would send it off to a collision test.

But most likely repaired and sold as new.
By all means, go and get a job at Infiniti. Confirm this for yourself when you advance enough. Then come back and offer your apologies.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Where do you get this information from? It could be true but why not selling it as a defect car?
From the person who gave me a 1:1 tour of the Q demo car 6 months before it went on sale. With the brand Infiniti has been building themselves as for the past few years, does "scratch-and-dent-sale" seem anything like what they are aiming for?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So much good information. Thank you all for putting my mind at ease! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
The port is where they put on all sorts of accessories, plus mundane things like the window stickers. It can be frustrating for us if they run out of illuminated kick plates or splash guards or such.

I don't understand why they don't just put a small crew with a bunch of parts on the boat with the cars in Japan. Let them do the work on the boat on the way here. Would save time at the port.

Reactions: Lunch

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The port is where they put on all sorts of accessories, plus mundane things like the window stickers. It can be frustrating for us if they run out of illuminated kick plates or splash guards or such.

I don't understand why they don't just put a small crew with a bunch of parts on the boat with the cars in Japan. Let them do the work on the boat on the way here. Would save time at the port.

hahahaha :p:p:p:p:p final assembly: international waters

·
Registered
324 Posts

I would imagine it is (and feel free to call "bs"... I am only guessing) because the freighters are loaded with a almost no room to spare to even walk between the cars, and the fact that despite their massive size, those giant ships don't have room for large crews of auto mechanics (when you factor the total logistics for such a venture), or the fact that the labor at sea would likely cost more than a shore based operation.

I would also think that the extra risk of trying to maneuver an expensive car on a sea going vessel (with all of that vomit inducing motion) would put more cars in the shredder than would waiting until they are on nice dry, solid, and stable land.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.