Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They didn't have a tech package...or even a deluxe touring...or a sport.

I did drive it back to back with a G37x.

First, Infiniti did a great job with the shocks. I'd say as good as any E-class, 5-series, or A6 I've driven. Nice and controlled without being anyway near as harsh as the G37x. That car had what felt like crude, too stiff, linear shocks.

The noise level was reasonable. The interior nicely trimmed...I venture easily the best in its class. The audio sounded fine, tested on XM classical music. (Note: I spend a decent amount of time with Sibelius, Audition and a pair of studio monitors doing scores for various short videos).

Overall, it drove very well.

Negatives:
First the tires. Impact harshness that was often heard more than felt along with flaccid performance in the turns. A better set of tires (probably Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3s) should probably the first thing. However, without a spare, the hybrid may be caught out.

The control knob. In my QX56 it works everything. In this car, it only works a few features in the top nav screen. Most of the rest require touching the lower screen. This requires way too much distraction from the road because fingers on a touch screen can only be indexed visually. The knob should have worked for everything. Also, making the second screen that low really requires taking your eyes off the road. The text on the screen is also rather small, further keeping eyes off the road. Someone at Infiniti/Nissan was asleep at the design table.

Net, this is probably the best car in its class, but suffers a few rather strange design decisions.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well said and observed!
Agree on the Michelin A/S 3. For the spare tire issue, I'm planning on buying this: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/FSport/GS350-2013/4343.html.
The only case where it doesn't work is when you have sidewall damage, but the irony is that on low profile tires (and 245/40R19 is low profile), run-flat tires are much more likely to suffer sidewall damage, as repeatedly cautioned for by BMW on their website (and experienced by BMW drivers).

A question for you: if you had time to wait, would you expect that Infiniti will improve this GUI design in either future MYs of the Q50 or subsequent models, and therefore worth waiting? With other manufacturers, it seems that all new designs are "like it or leave it", with few improvements until they're way obsolete.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Slime kit is $40 on Amazon. The seemingly identical Conti kit is $80 at TireRack. There are also Slime kits with bigger compressors and even plug kits.

The Q50 comes with an optional spare tire, so that could also be used.

It is very hard to determine where a manufacturer is headed and if they would update older models. Generally, older models don't get many customer visible electronics changes because it makes all their documentation incorrect and customers can complain this isn't what they bought. Sometimes they don't because hardware changes are also involved.

The user interface to the center stack will probably improve over the years. The didn't quite make it by launch software update indicates the software delivered isn't what they wanted or complete.

One thing I would expect is for the active steering to have automatic selection of ratio. Active steering on BMWs, Audi, and Lexus don't have the driver select the ratio. They monitor vehicle speed, dynamics, and driver input and provide what they think is appropriate. Very fast in a parking lot. Not as fast on the highway. I would expect that in a future model. I'm curious if the M has it already. Variable front steering and rear wheel steering is an option on RWD M Sport models.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One thing I would expect is for the active steering to have automatic selection of ratio. Active steering on BMWs, Audi, and Lexus don't have the driver select the ratio. They monitor vehicle speed, dynamics, and driver input and provide what they think is appropriate. Very fast in a parking lot. Not as fast on the highway. I would expect that in a future model. I'm curious if the M has it already. Variable front steering and rear wheel steering is an option on RWD M Sport models.
Maybe i'm reading this wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Q50 does this already. When you choose the ratio, you're actually choosing the ratio "map". I think all the available ratios are faster (if not identical) at parking speed and slower at highway speed. I think the main difference is how quickly the ratio becomes slower once you leave the parking lot.

Does that seem accurate to those of you who have the Direct Adaptive Steering?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.